Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Seán Cronin went from Munster to Connacht to Leinster.
    Isaac Boss went from Ulster to Leinster.
    Mike McCarthy went from Connacht to Leinster.
    Cian Kelleher went from Leinster to Connacht and back to Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fionn Carr did a round trip as well.

Defender's beaten stats are good - 13 across those 6 games. Clean Breaks less so: 3 across the 6 games (2 v Zebre).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’m willing to bet they are outlier stats for defenders beaten for a 2nd row, particularly given the minutes played too tbh.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

5 interesting questions on leinster depth chart for next season:

1. Can a loosehead displace the aging Cian Healy?
    2. Who replaces Ross Molony at lock?
    3. Can Tom Clarkson continue on his upward trajectory?
    4. Can Cormac Foley displace Luke McGrath as backup 9?
    5. Can Sam Prendergast become 1st choice outhalf?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

1. God I hope so
    2. Deeny I guess, though it's certainly something of a drop in experience if nothing else
    3. I thought he was in line for a much bigger role before the Slimani signing. Less clear now
    4. He absolutely better. I would prefer if Foley and Gunne both got ahead of him to be honest. He's a liability at this stage
    5. Yes

I don't have comprehensive stats across second rows, but Joe McCarthy's stats are quite comparable. He had 26 defender's beaten for Leinster this year (across 16 games), so averaged 1.6 per game (versus Snyman's 2.2). McCarthy's are probably spread a bit more evenly - he had at least one in 13 games, whereas Snyman's are skewed by two games (4 and 5 in those two games).

I would say those numbers are higher than the average Irish second row though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

For next season I think Slimani will be a better fit scrum wise than Ala'Alatoa. But then he's not as good around the park. The scrum could could be a launching pad for strike plays. One thing I've noticed about Deeny, is he's very mobile and has an engine. His power is lacking though and that's a concern. He can play the full 80, which is a bonus. I expect Soroka to come into the 2nd row. He's undersized though but, he can do well against the weaker teams. C.O.T should get a lot of time. Big lad who's unheralded. He's only 21! Lots of potential and his size is a bonus. Along with Snyman, we should be ok for the most part.

There's going to be a waning of Luke's playing time. It's apparent he's not efficient off the base and his passing is hit or miss. Foley should get a look. He may not be the answer either so, we might see more of Gunne.

I doubt anyone other than RB starts the season as our out half. Rightly or wrongly, Leo sees him as the starter. My opinion is he's done enough to warrant his position. HB/ Frawley/Sam need to wrestle the shirt off him. Will Leo drop him? I have no idea. It's obvious he's limited but he's penciled in consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I missed that post, Where was that said? That would be a very interesting signing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do not think there is any chance Leinster try and sign Balacoune.

Yeah thats not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It has been discussed a lot over on LF that Leinster are missing out and out pace in our back 3 and also missing a player who's comfortable playing out of the "system"

The lions share of Leinster players come from private Catholic institutions. Having come through one of them it is absolutely fair to say these people are shaped directly and indirectly from the "ethos" and "values" and "identity" of these institutions.

I've seen first hand during my time in school, players dropped from teams for not behaving - sometimes completely independent of rugby. I saw many many fellas move to more liberal minded schools because of an inability to thrive in such a system - some of whom were excellent athletes.

These schools teach you to fall in line, they teach discipline and rule following. The rugby players produced are a product of this.

I don't say it like it's an overly bad thing. There are a lot of benefits to having gone to a private school. But I would bet good money that James Lowe and Mack Hansen would not be the same rugby player or character they are if they went to a Dublin private school.

I don't think the Irish rugby culture encourages mavericks enough. I have seen coaches actively say these things need to be coached out of players. I say coach it into more people. Let personality shine through and let the more eccentric players thrive at being eccentric as they develop.

This was going to be a post that Baloucoune is the perfect type of winger Leinster should sign. But it has devolved into something wholly different haha. Either way I think Richie Murphy is going to be good for Bobby and there is slim chance of him ever coming south

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd love to get Baloucoune, think he's a fabulous player who's been wasted in a terrible set up

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

great questions and refreshing to have such a long thread on the forwards transition which I feel is often swamped in the 10 debacle which we all love. And whilst I enjoy reading on the 1 - 8 play craft I don’t feel I can add to the insights on the board, much more I enjoy to learn from the comments made

4 McGrath may come back as a different rejuvenated self, but assuming not, Foley has the chance to step up, Gunne too who for me is an exceptional talent that can take it to a new level

5 Has that decision not already been made by Andy Farrell? The Byrne brothers have been a great asset to Leinster but the breakthrough has t come and Frawley / Prendergast are now the main players in contention I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

1 - Ultimately someone will have to. Whether we like it or not Cian Healy is the best Irish loosehead ever. While his injuries probably lowered his ceiling his floor has always been so high. We were incredibly lucky in his time to have Jack McGrath, himself and then Porter to come along as 3 world class options (McGrath was a test Lion, Yes I do consider him world class in his peak)

Being harsh I don't see a loosehead of the calibre of these 3 in our medium term. But that's a very very high benchmark (again - 3 Lions)

I'm not sure Boyle will have a 60+ test cap career. But. I do think he'll have a 20 cap one. Paddy Mc is still too young to tell.

Milne I'm even less sure on. His scrummaging fell off a cliff this season.

2 - Leinsters second row stocks are strangely low even though we have 2 unbelievable Irish locks in Ryan and McCarthy. McCarthy kind of exploded onto the scene without much fanfare so it is possible that there is a hidden gem in the underage that we haven't seen yet.

I don't think Deeny has the goods. He's not as good as Molony was at the same age and while he might come good as he physically matures as a (relatively) average athlete - that could be 3 seasons from now

COT is a a very big boy who I would like to see more of. It will be interesting to see how he gets on. There were flashes of very impressive athleticism that I've seen so far.

Spicer in the 6 nations played like a player a year young (which he was) I'll be keenly watching the U20s 6 world cup. But a physical specimen like him just doesn't come around much. If he has the right aptitude, he can be an excellent asset

3 - Clarkson strikes me as a player who is very coachable. He has clearly worked very hard on his technique and it has undoubtedly improved. 24 is a pretty reasonable age for a prop that's not a physical freak to start coming good. Slimani will undoubtedly help his development if he is indeed as coachable as I think.

4 - At this stage he just can't not. If Bleyendaal brings even some of the southern hemisphere backline play, I don't see any room for Lukes pace of play anymore. A 9 these days really needs to fire, aim, load in that order. Foley and Gunne are not perfect, but they can shift the ball away from the ruck

5 - I don't see Sam getting a cap on this upcoming tour. But I think he should go on the Emerging tour and I think it will do for him what the last one did for Crowley. For Sam it is when not if. I think by the end of next season he will be our starting 10

Snyman play 20+ games for Leinster next season? Can't see that myself.

A quick look at All.Rugby shows that Snyman has NEVER played more than 15 games for whatever club side he's been at (they don't have data on the Japan teams - but I don't think that league is in the same conversation anyway)

So no - he wont be playing more than 20 games but the data shows this was never on the cards and Leinster would have known this.

Agreed so who will replace Molony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Has any player played more than 20+ games for Leinster this year? That's a lot of load.

Molony has. 22.

Ala'alatoa (31) and Molony (22) are the ones I can think of. Probably not many more

I did assume there was going to be a short term IQ signing but that hasn't come to fruition yet.

In the absence of these I guess we're going to see Deeny and COT share the load.

Maybe they're looking at Soroka? Although I don't see him as a second row at all. In fact at this point I don't see the poor kid as a pro rugby player

Asking a lot for Deeny and COT to cover Molony.

Doesn't look like Sorokas foot can handle pro rugby unfortunately.

It is a big ask for sure. The 3 of them have a combined 12 appearances this season just gone.

I really thought we'd get someone like Gavin Thornbury in for a year.

Terrible injury record yes. But solid URC player. If we could get him on the pitch for 10 games next season it would definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I think the coaches must be reasonably confident that Deeny and O'Tighearnaigh can do an at least acceptable job in the league. You'd think they'd have tried to add somebody otherwise. I'm interested to see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In terms of age profile, Deeny still is relatively young. Is he a like for like replacement for Molony? He's not as good, obviously but, if he's eating minutes and makes improvement, he could be a good league level player. O'Tigharnaigh certainly brings size. My take on him is the more he's involved, the better he'll be. He will make mistakes and that's fine. We don't have lads 201 cm's and 118 Kg's coming through frequently. Deeny is about the size of most locks in Ireland.

Spicer is huge and every effort should be made to get him up to speed. He's not fully grown yet! It will take time and hopefully we have another Dev.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

Having a mentor like RG Snyman for the year could be huge for both Joe McCarthy and Alan Spicer's development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

IF he's a good mentor, that will be a positive. Similar with Barrett. He will have a whole different perspective on things that he could teach to the Leinster lads if he's into teaching.

Advertisement