Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

350,000 nok on a kitchen…. That’s over €35k

then he was listing off other purchases… 50k nok here, 50k nok there…. All for stuff that didn’t need to cost anywhere near €4+k!!!

Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

But it's Norway. Everything is more expensive.

But it's tough. He's creates great content, he's probably contributed to tons of car sales which is intangible.

But he doesn't get tons of views, like in the 100ks. I hope he gets out this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I have to confess I didn't watch all of it as I find him very difficult to listen to. Like everything in this world nothing lasts forever and he built a huge house on an unstable income. It reminds me of the Celtic tiger whingers who looked down their noses at people living within their means during the "boom" and then wanted their sympathy when it went tits up in 2008. As we've all found out over the years the only person who can fix your problems is you and it looks like he's going to learn that lesson too.

I agree he creates great content, however I don't think I've watched any of his videos in over a year….. they are only interesting to prospective buyers of the car he's testing…

I too hope he get's it all sorted, and gets to keep his dream house, but at the same time I'm not building heated swimming pools in my garden when I don't have the means to fund it (I actually do, but those funds are better (in my opinion) spent paying off debts before buying fancy things).

🤔🤔, if you have debt you don't have the money to build a swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm sure plenty of us here could build a swimming pool with borrowings less than the price of some of our cars (that said, I've no idea now much a swimming pool would cost to build as I don't know anyone that has one )

well we kinda do, as the debt is quite small and could be cleared overnight if we chose.. , and we have far better things to be spending our money on than heated swimming pools. I was moreso trying to portray it from Bjorn's point of view…. he had that crippling debt yet installed a heated swimming pool… maddness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm not going to hold it against him for buying a nice house with nice stuff. After all we're all here trying to justify spending €40k or more on a car which is functionally equivalent to something half the price

He definitely made some mistakes though, buying stuff for the house before paying off the high interest loan. A lot of us who have bought houses lived for a few years with the cheapest IKEA furniture available simply because we can't afford more

As I said, I reckon he's also taken an income hit over the last few months and this played into his situation

Anyway, I hope he figures something out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I had naively assumed that he still worked as a programmer in a university. So youtube is his job now and he has the Norwegian equivalent of a Muck Mansion. Bizarre stuff asking for loans on youtube.

Video seems to be gone now which is sensible. If he was in Ireland and publicised his financial issues like that and subsequently put the house on the market, the sh*tehawks and vultures would smell a firesale from a mile off.

He does produce useful content but given that EVs are basically appliances, there's only so much to say about them. He's not going to get a critical mass of people settling down for an evening's entertainment watching his videos. These days, the only Bjorn videos I usually watch are the range test ones and then only a minute or two, skipping to the range comparison table part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nothing was new with us, were happy to accept hand me downs from relations and second hand stuff. And our earnings were probably above average at the time.

The world has gone mad, I tell ya.🙂

• Advertisement

Loony stuff alright, we saw the very same carry on here too, lads half a million in debt buying a new BMW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Much as I have watched probably weeks of Bjorn content over the years, and he seems a very smart guy, he has made stupid decisions and these are the consequences

If I go to Vegas and burn a years salary then no one will help me out, you got to live with the consequences of your actions

They aren't interested in small bets in Vegas 😊

More info on the joint venture between Rivian and VW

https://www.electrive.com/2024/06/26/volkswagen-group-invest-5-bn-rivian-software-e-e-architecture/

Looks like VW's internal software group Cariad has largely been cut out and the new partnership will handle software for the next generation of VW platforms

While it doesn't work out well for Cariad, it's probably a win overall for both companies as VW gets access to an already developed software stack (which generally seems to have excellent software). Rivian also gets an influx of cash when it badly needs it

Doesnt he also own a Model 3 in Thailand? I presume if he still owns it it's up for sale..

He definitely made some mistakes though, buying stuff for the house before paying off the high interest loan. A lot of us who have bought houses lived for a few years with the cheapest IKEA furniture available simply because we can't afford more

Pretty much this. We bought this house (our 1st) in May 2014, furnished it with Ikea/Harvey Norman stuff, plus the stuff we already owned from while renting (TV, beds, bedside lockers, chest of drawers etc…), and then our sole focus was to pay off the mortgage as quick as possible, which we did after 8yrs & 11 months thanks to consistent overpayments of around 150% on top of our monthly repayments. Anything we bought since living here was contingent on it not affecting our ability to overpay the mortgage at the rate we were overpaying it… so I bought a boat, then we bought the Tesla, Installed solar PV, then we bought a house in Lithuania & furnished it… but through all of that, we were fixated on clearing the mortgage asap… which we did. And we still have all the original furniture we bought… some of which is due an upgrade soon enough, but with a 9yo, the longer we keep that stuff, the better it'll work out for its replacements chances of survivability…

We desperately need a new back garden, but we want 'the dream' back garden which might cost us €30k-€40k, and while we had the mortgage we didn't even discuss it that much… but now the house loan is taken care of, we now have that ability to think further about doing the back garden.. but to do it while we still had a mortgage…. not a chance in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Liveline today will have a piece about an 8yr battery warranty not being honoured due to the fine print.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I bet the not so fine print is it's limited by milage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hey, it's average sized!! (AT least that's what I tell myself :P)

I'll not be listening, as its a soul destroying show to commit your time to, but I'd say you're right.

And to be honest, if it is that, then it's not fine print, it's always up front and known. You always hear "8yr, or 160,000km warranty " quite openly.

• Advertisement

oh thats right, it's summer, so he'll be off for what, 7 - 8 weeks…

Like most of the 'big talent'.

Expect to see Tommy Mescal anchoring the news in studio very soon. Only time he gets indoors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla tried to fob off a battery fuse failure (enclosed in the pack) as non warranty, next day the battery pack failed so never got to have "that" conversation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

I get a “video is private” message when I try to view. Is it working for you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,982 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he has 325k subs what's a critical mass? Evs are cars with electric propulsion, I know you love a Dacia but it's just a car as well with different propulsion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well I didn't mention Dacia, then again it's not surprising that you'd bring it up given that Dacia lives rent free in the heads of EV zealots. Combine that with me describing EVs as appliances and I suppose the upset is understandable.

Seeing as you love EVs so much, do YOU watch all of Bjorn's videos for entertainment or any other purpose. That'll help him make enough money to pay his debts and keep making videos. If not, nothing stopping you from donating money to help him pay for curtains for his house.

I wasn't giving it my full attention, but essentially he owes a creditor (the house builder?) about €130k, he's already maxed out with the bank (close to €1m?) so they won't lend him anymore… if he can't pay back that €130k soon he's at risk of having the house repossessed and sold off to pay his debt, of which the interest rate is something like 15%. He already asked his channel sponsors if they could give him a loan and he didn't get any joy, so in the video yesterday he was asking if any of his followers would be willing to to lend him the cash, but at a much more manageable rate of 10% interest…

Video got pulled, so maybe he got a taker.

I think he might have been better just asking for a dig out via a GoFundMe or something… times are hard but he has the profile whereby enough people might just give him a dig out… if 33% of his subscribers gave him €1 he'd be sorted… or if 11% gave €3 and so on… I'm not even a subscriber, and yeah, I'd probably drop him €5 on gofundme as I've killed hours upon hours over teh years on quiet days watching his videos…

• Advertisement

I signed up to his Patreon yesterday, €5 per month. I'll keep it going for a year since he basically did a lot of independent research which helped me when buying the ID.4

Paying back a few euros seems fair. I agree he'd be better off pushing platforms like Patreon or GoFundMe, getting €5 from 20k fans is a lot more realistic than asking for a loan

Advertisement