Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would you have said people needed to accept Russia invading Ukraine and to just deal with it? We've seen what indifference in face of slaughter brings. The genocide in Rwanda, massacres in Bosnia, the mass deaths in Sudan and Yemen. It's not good enough to twiddle thumbs when people are being wiped out, much less so when ones government is actively arming those carrying out the atrocities.

Biden continuing to blindly support Israel does nothing but harm him politically. AIPAC is staunchly in the Republican corner, they want Trump elected so Israel will have carte blanche to finish wiping out the Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Outside of the ivy league campuses how many Americans label this war a "genocide", very few.

Blue collar Democrats like Sen. John Letterman are 100% behind the Israeli fightback against Hamas.

70% of Americans in a poll said Israel must destroy Hamas in rafah and finish the fight.

Joe might need the rich kid activists for some things but the problem is that they won't likely turn up in November even if he delivered everything they wanted.

That advantage has now gone, and Trump is ahead.

He gets lots of small donations but the big 7 figure donations the Democrat campaign rely on are not shelling out like they did in 2020.

That might not be enough to overcome the incumbent advantage but it shows that their is a strong momentum for Trump and Biden or his team need to take the campaign seriously .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

You're confused.

There is no option that doesn't twiddle thumbs while people are getting killed.

Vote Republican, people will get killed, probably quicker.

Vote Democrat, people will get killed as they are right now.

Abstain, see Republicans win.

Vote third party, see Republicans win.

It's a sh*t sandwich, but it's what Americans have to decide on.

I'm not confused, but thanks for the condescension. My point is that Biden is risking his reelection by continuing to back Israel. As folks like to point out here, Trump would be exponentially worse for everyone, Palestinians especially. Biden's choice to continue to ignore public sentiment among Arab and young voters is baffling, given the pro Israel demographic would skew heavily Republican.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

given the pro Israel demographic would skew heavily Republican.

I don't think this is true in America at all.

The overwhelming majority of Palestinian support also comes from the smallest voting cohort (to reduce it to somewhat disgusting practicalities).

AIPAC would be heavily pro Republican I think, and the number of Jewish voters would be quite a bit smaller than Arab and young voters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jewish and Arab voters are not the only ones who have opinions on the situation in the Middle East (indeed, both could largely be ignored when it comes to voting to be honest in pure numbers). America is overwhelmingly a pro-Israeli country, for good or ill.

Polls simply don't show that the Israel-Palestine issue is going to be particularly salient. It is low down on the list of importance and it is not something with an easy answer anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As mentioned earlier, 70% of US voters support the removal/destruction of Hamas.

Israel and Gaza sadly are not a decisive issue right now in the Election.

Fundamentally, Amercians don't give a toss about the rest of the world as long as their sons aren't getting shot at.

The economy and immigration are the only things that will matter.

Not right, but that's the reality.

I don't know, the numbers for young voters skew heavily anti Israel, and it's already pretty disheartening for that demographic. Biden doesn't want to add further reason to keep them from turning out for him

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

70% sounds large but if you drill into that it gets a bit more troubling for Biden. Israel has near universal support amongst Republicans so that other 30% comes mostly from Democrats & Independents.

This election, like all modern US Presidential elections, is going to come down to fine margins in a few swing states. A state like Michigan, which has a large muslim population and looks likely to have both Cornell West and Jill Stein on the ballot could be decided by a few thousand people who are furious with Biden's carte-blanche approach to Netanyahu and the IDF in their destruction of Gaza and continuing theft of Palestinian lands in the West bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Biden is going to destroy Trump in the debate tonight. Trump will not have his audience who he gets his energy from or be able to should over Biden so it woukd not surprise me if Trump got bored and walked off crying.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Tend to agree and a big part of why Biden will come out the better is because Trump and the GOP have set the bar so incredibly low.

They've have spent his entire Presidency telling the world that he is this doddering old fool that doesn't know where he is or what time it is etc. etc.

And when he comes out and is perfectly fine and competent and can answer questions and speak to policy fairly well he blows all that out of the water.

Just as he did at the State of the Union a while back , nothing spectacular and about what you'd expect a competent person to do , but the GOP and Fox News et al had spent so long telling their audience that he was a dribbling mess , He came out looking like a rock-star and the best they could come up with was that he had been somehow drugged.

That message failed miserably outside their echo chamber and it will fail again tonight/tomorrow.

But this time they'll also have to try and explain away Trumps performance which based on all available evidence will be a fact free incoherent rant about everything but the questions he is presented with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Trump and his acolytes are already trying to make excuses for Biden not behaving like a cadaver by explicitly stating that he'll be on performance enhancing drugs of some kind.

Even though the mics will be switched off I'm sure that Trump will still likely be trying to shout over Biden in the studio. His fragile ego would make it so that he couldn't stand there and listen to any criticism. Hopefully it won't put Biden off too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep it's going to be so good seeing Biden destroy Trump. I can't wait.

Looking forward to seeing it. Going to be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

After the debate Trump will claim

1. It was rigged against him
    2. He won
    3. The deep state picked the moderator to destroy him
    4. He won easily
    5. Biden was on drugs
    6. He won.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 45,575 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm worried about this debate. I hope Biden is going to show a bit of fight as I think Trump could struggle if he gets ruffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭amandstu

Maybe he could quickly don ear mufflers when T's mic is muted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭eire4

He did indeed move ahead in the money count in May which is so important in the bought and paid for corruption that is the US political system. However it was largely due to one enormous $50m donation by Timothy Mellon which made up a big chunk of the $141 Republicans raised in May as against the $85 raised by Democrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Desperate night for Biden, if substance mattered to more than 12 people watching it would have been fine especially as Trump was delivering BS answers galore, but ultimately all people will be talking about how old and frail Biden seemed unfortunately.

I expect a lot of swing state Dems and donors are absolutely freaking out right now .

Trump may not even bother with another debate because why would he need to if Biden is not replaced?

Regarding replacements, ugh.

It won't be pleasant despite what they say in public, the likes of Harris, Newsom and to a lesser extent Whitmer will be having some very interesting conversations in the morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And the fact he'll spend in the high double to low tripple digits millions on his legal bills this year alone rather than on his actual campaign for re-election. Having said that; I'll echo what Rjd2 and the fact it's a sad day when for both parties best interest would be if their main candidate for president could not continue for some reason…

Point was made on one of the shows afterwards, that this is the earliest debate ever. Happening before the nominating conventions. I think serious discussion is going to be happening for the Democrats tonight about replacing Biden. There's still enough time before November to get someone else in (not Harris), who could beat Trump.

I'd advise Trump if the Dems replace Biden not to agree to any debates with a replacement. He clearly won last night unfortunately but he meandered so often with questions and was clearly unprepared on plenty of stuff but sadly it did not matter considering how bad Biden was.

Biden of 2016 , heck even Biden of 2020 would have absolutely massacred Trump tonight but unfortunately father time remains undefeated.

The optics of stepping over Harris for someone like Newsom or Whitmer is a major concern for them I think.

I used to think it was just right wing loons betting on Michelle, but her replacing Biden ensures that's not an issue although obviously easier said than done. I suspect Barack like most Dem power hitters is still aghast after that performance.

I don't think so. Harris is a poor candidate, came 3rd or 4th in CA during the last Primaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As I confidently predicted in the other thread a really bad night for Biden. He is old and visibly frail and not up to it. Everyone can see it.

People will say "oh, you're ageist". It has nothing to do with that.

There was no one watching that back who is going to think any differently that the Democrats shouldn't have gone with a much younger candidate.

Some Dem supporters will remain in denial because they have to and hate Trump so much.

It doesn't change the facts.

Trump handed a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So the talking points seem to be

• Joe talked facts and policy, but seemed old, quiet and raspy. He struggled to balance talking policy whilst trying to also fact-check Trump.
    • Trump lied in basically every statement he made, but was loud and virile
    • CNN came across terrible because there was no fact-checking at the debate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Since these things are popularity contests, it seems like a massive loss for the Biden campaign. Doesn't matter that he's done a pretty good job, or that Trump lied practically every time he opened his mouth (said democratic states murder new borns ffs).

All Americans saw was an old man struggling with some pretty basic questions.

"We finally beat medicare!"

😣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jesus this is terrifying, biden was truly awful!

Advertisement