Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bernard Tully's family might disagree with you that the pedestrian is going to come off worse.

And why didn't you use the M50 access road to Leopardstown? Dunno why we bother building motorways when you won't use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

These and other road improvements that were sold as providing improvements for cyclists and pedestrians have always ended up benefiting the former and inconveniencing the latter. So many pavements have been narrowed to provide cycle lanes. Pedestrians who had free access to their bus must now cross cycle lanes at their peril.

Wherever I have seen cycle lanes placed between the pavement and the kerb there has been a yield sign painted on the cycle lane to protect the pedestrian either boarding or alighting. I would hope that this will also be the case on Stillorgan Park if pedestrians are to be inconenienced at that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

All along the N11 from Stillorgan has bike signs painted on paths that pedestrians have to walk on, these paths are shared by cyclists and walkers but the bike sign makes it look like its a cycle path.

Are pedestrians supposed to walk on the central teservation through daffodils and tulips.

The path near the turn onto Deansgrange Road have been freshly painted, shared path again but big bike signs painted a few metres apart.

Its the same near Cornelscourt, people getting buses to the shopping centre and various schools, bike signs again on paths that people walk on, its a ridiculous situation but it shows who has the eat of the council and its not wheelchair users, blind people, older people, children, everyone should be complaining about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You've elevated victimhood to very special degree here. You're now convinced that the existing of cyclist markings on shared spaces or cycle lanes is evidence of some overwhelming movement at Council level (where the Greens are a smallish party) towards deification of cyclists?

Show us on the map where the cyclists hurt you Maisie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

In Deansgrange today and noticed new poles being installed, presumably to hold new traffic lights where the school crossing lollipop lady is. This means that there will be approx. 20 mtrs between the crossroad lights and these new lights. We can only pray that if this is what's happening that both sets of lights will be synchronized or else there will be utter mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I cycle in this area regularly… I can confidently say that there are no shared paths. there are sections where there is cycle lane only, and other sections where there are seperate bike and pedestrian paths (generally to provide access to crossings or bus stops). If you need to travel between various facilities along this route, you do so via the old bray road. All of the facilities are accessible from there. Theres very little to do on the N11, except travel in a straight line. If you need to get to Deans Grange, travel down the Old Bray Road and turn onto Clonkeen Road. If you are travelling southbound, you can access Deans Grange via Monaloe etc.

Stop walking on the cycle paths, don't be a menace! Theres an 80y/o woman in the area who says she likes walk on the cycle lanes with her dogs on a long lead, and gets upset when cyclists don't even aknowledge her… Is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Jesus, have they stopped all traffic in Dublin County South no traffic posts since May 29th ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Lar left, Maisie was kicked out, and the rest of us agree that bike is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Who kicked Maisie out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

She was banned after not following mod instructions on another thread it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Mav11

Not for the first time either. She has previous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

DUn Laoghaire 2024. There are no more roads left. All routes from the coast are now roadworks to build cycle paths. Only one person can stand against the cargo bike gangs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was walking up along the new cycle paths on the main road from Stradbrook Road to Deansgrange on Saturday evening. They actually look really nice. A lot of the work is still not finished though. There still has to be some work done at the entrance to Deansgrange Cemetry opposite St Fintan's Villas as well. I was also very impressed with the new separated bike & pedestrian lanes at the traffic lights at Deansgrange Crossroads. They look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I meant to post about this elsewhere - so southbound cyclists (from cycle lane on upper left of this photo) are supposed to cross to the pub, cycle over the pavement corner, then over the 2nd leg to front of the photo, onto the pavement there, then left around the corner?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

As a cyclist, that's a nope from me. I'll just use the filter lanes as I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I heard yesterday that the first implementation of Living Streets will take place soon with the reversal of the traffic flow along the seafront between Glasthule and the Baths. I asked about "soon" and was told 6-8 weeks, residents are being notified from July (I'm not sure that they were ever noted about the CMR, but that's water under the bridge now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

I see someone thought it would be a great idea to put in a pedestrian crossing 50 metres up from the existing set of lights at Deansgrange and not synch the lights in any way.

As if that junction wasn't bad enough (for cars).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

classic,

Cyclists - we need more infrastructure,

Infrastructure gets provided

Also Cyclists - I don't like it I'll ignore it and do my own thing 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think we'll all agree that there are different cycle facilities for differing cycling abilities. I don't need to dismount and cross at a pedestrian pace, others may prefer to. That's their choice and they are welcome to it. That's the benefit of living in a democracy. 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If the Infra is well designed and built then anyone who uses a bicycle won't have an issue with it.

The problem is in Ireland like with many other things, we don't build it properly and it ends up not being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Set of pedestrian lights going up on Glenageary hill, yards away from the roundabout. Will test hill start abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Baseball72

I lived halfway up that hill for many years - why do the powers that be believe traffic lights are necessary there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Traffic lights on all other roads off the roundabout, this was the last one without. Makes sense to have them there as no safe way to cross bar going all the way round the other roads which would never happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

Plus it's right beside St John of God's - I'd imagine some of their clients will appreciate the pedestrian lights there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I predict a lot of fender benders there, I understand that its good for pedestrians who have managed up until now without, but its plain dangerous on such a steep hill with all the learner and shiite drivers around.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not really okay to assume that pedestrians can be left without a safe way to cross the road just because a small number of drivers might struggle with the basics.

I assume you're okay with no further construction of underground or multi-story car parks because some of those ramps can also be very steep? And no further motorways because drivers have managed until now?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

If you can't manage a hill start then you shouldn't have driving licence to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Delighted to hear about those traffic lights on Glenageary Hill, there was a small campaign years and years ago that never resulted in any lights being installed. Good to see some common sense finally.

Advertisement