Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭moonshy2022

BA pilots do night and would cross a picket.

However this is an EI pilot strike not an “ALL OUT” strike which would be a whole different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Snow Leopard

Why are BA pilots even being discussed? They have nothing to do with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭dublin12367

talks have broken down again “as IALPA consider escalation “ according to newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

IALPA saying they have moved from the 23% figure but that EI hasn't moved on anything more than 12.25% being funded by productivity changes. Which IALPA says it doesn't have a mandate from its members to discuss productivity as part of it's pay claim.

IALPA also claiming that from EI's costings the union see a figure of around €5 million as the stumbling block.

Still said that the talks have been pleasant and that both sides are able to sit down with each other.

On the escalation front,

"Mr Tighe also claimed that Aer Lingus had contravened the Labour Court’s request earlier this week for both sides not to escalate the dispute by denying a Captain access to an executive lounge and also by insisting that they will renegotiate all the collective agreements.

He said that if the union refuses to this, the company has said it will use its right to legally terminate those agreements.

Mr Tighe said the executive council of IALPA would now meet to consider the situation.

He said in view of the escalations by the company, the chances of an escalation of the industrial action by the pilots would have to be considered to be high."

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

"IALPA officially moved from the figure of 23.8% that it was seeking for a pay rise."

This reads to me as though they have reduced their ask from 23.8%?

Also, has anybody else noticed that the 12.25% being thrown around now seems to be the baseline for AL, despite previously mentioning 9.25? I'm aware that 3% was to account for paying for the 2019 crewing agreement in the summer and I'm wondering now if AL are going to absorb that or if 12.25% just really means 9.25% for the pilots when deducting the cost of that agreement.

Anyways, no surprise that the talks today have ended without agreement. Again to note that Easyjet pilots in the last few days voted in a pay rise of 25%, BA low 20%s I believe at the end of 2023, and Jet2 24% cumulative since 2022. It really does seem that the going market increase is on the pilots' side here, in fact I don't know of any major airline where scales have been frozen since 2019.

Edit: I imagine a full work stoppage is coming this evening or tomorrow based on comments from the union as per RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

There appears to be no room for optimism whatsoever judging by the article on RTE. Both sides are in the “no surrender” camp. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is an all out strike before this one is settled. The sooner it starts the better. Get this thing over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Yep, this is gonna get nasty for a couple of weeks.

IALPA seem to be furious with IAG/EI whatever you want to refer to them as.

For full impact, expect them to announce strike action where EI will not be in a position to find replacements in time to accomodate pax.

IMO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

Aspects of it are sounding a bit petty - eg a captain being denied access to an Executive lounge and then the union making a big deal of it. Doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

They'll be rushing to get the 7 days notice for Fri/Sat/Sun next week as that's the biggest impact I'd assume. And 24 hours to hit US flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Gangsters? That's a bit harsh over the last 5 years people in my place have got more or less 20/24% In pay increases along with there increments. I have friends who work in other private sector companies that don't have the T&C that i have etc like pension/health care etc.They don't begrudge me for what i get paid which is extremely generous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

"Furious with IAG/EI" strange type of description I would opine.

For me this is like a family fighting over their house and when its all over the house is a total wreck and nobody wins.

I'm well aware EI are not a 'state ' airline anymore but I doubt if the Government will stand idly by and see the

tourist season for the country in ruins for the sake of a pay claim for 700 people.

Not saying that anything is wrong with the claim, but ..hey ..I would be very surprised if they stood idly by and

let the situation implode.

IMO of course.

What can the government do though? Facilitate talks?

Government can't step in and take sides.

They can't force IAG to pay the pilots extra. They can't stop the pilots striking.

Gone on, tell us.

"Tourist season in ruins" is a bit far fetched for reasons that I know we both understand. Yes it will undoubtedly affect numbers coming in but let's be realistic. Most of their schedule is still operating (for now) and there are many other carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Get Real

Those other airlines have voted in similar pay rises yes, but from a lower basepoint and working conditions.

For example- You say easyJet have gotten a rise in the low 20%. But this was based off Captains at the top earning c£160,000 before the increase. They also don't have a 22% employer contribution to a pension.

BA, similar pay increase, and senior Captains were on c£170,000 short haul and c£200,000 long haul at the top before the increase.

Keeping the sterling figures the same for comparison, Aer Lingus senior captains at the top, are currently earning c£240,000, without a pay increase.

So the pay rises agreed by BA and easyJet merely bring them up to what Aer Lingus pilots are already on (in the case of BA, and still lower than that in the case of easyJet).

The union (understandably) doesn't want benefits such as a 22% annual employer pension contribution taken away. So it'll be a tough balance between ensuring that is maintained, while negotiating something higher than 12.5%.

My post is based of an all out strike by the pilots and I couched my post to reflect the effect that might have, hence the "tourist season in ruins" sentence.

Given the far reaching effects on the countries economy and the tourist industry ,I couldn't see any Govt. standing by and doing nothing , just wringing their hands.

What they could actually do, as Im not a member of Govt, I don't know, but I doubt if they will sit on their arses doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I've said it before and say it again. Settle on 15%, with 2.5% in 2025 and 2.5% in 2026 with productivity ironed out for that in the coming weeks and move on. This will be resolved eventually, just get it done. And enough of the petty stuff like parking, staff flights and lounges. This isn't junior infants ffs.

😯

Would the pilots agree to that I wonder…. they seem 'locked on' to the 24%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

There isn't a lot the Government can do, despite the ritual (and disingenuous) Opposition calls for them to get involved. The SF spokesperson who has called for that is a former trade union official and would be intimately familiar with how industrial relations works. Anyway, it is fair to assume that behind the scenes Govt. have been making plenty of calls to relevant people to see if they can prompt some progress. The fact that the Labour Court didn't deem it feasible for it to get involved at this stage suggests that there are too many obstacles. The bit today about IALPA not having a mandate to discuss certain isses is a clear limitation, and unless the negotiating team are some sort of "prisoners" of the membership they need, at some point, to be allowed sufficient latitude to negotiate a deal. Anything else is doomed to failure and makes for an unsolvable dispute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

IALPA have publicly stated that they are open to "moving away from 23.88%"

The RTE article linked above mentioned the claim that there is a "stumbling block" of €5m between the 2 parties.

In aviation terms this isn't a lot of money. There must be a conpromise. I can understand the reasons why the company doesnt want to go above 12.50%. Surely an alternative to a direct salary increase could be an option, ie. Profit share?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

You’re unaware of the Aer Lingus short haul scale introduced during covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

Feels bigger strikes ahead getting called tomorrow. Unless EI moved on something else not already announced then today’s meeting was just EI trying to make it out IALPA are the bad guys here. Of course 23% is moveable but they’re not moving first. On productivity changes they can go back to the members with their proposal. End of the day no matter is every agreed both sides will want to keep face and not feel like they’ve lost

Already mentioned above but as per ppjn the top end for 320C is drastically reduced and is not close to any of those base salary figures quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

IALPA disputes committee meeting tomorrow morning with the union executive recommending they consider 1 additional work stoppage longer than this Saturdays 8 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

According to the EI spokesman, IALPA say they have no mandate to discuss the productivity stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf what element of extra productivity can there be? The pilots going work to rule has resulted in a ton of cancellations so that would show they're already being extremely productive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just wondering I’m flying out Monday, flights so far are looking ok. But if a strike day is called for the following week and my return flight is affected. If I fly the Monday knowing my return has been cancelled do Aer Lingus still have to arrange accommodation and sort my return flight etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm surprised that productivity is an issue. I thought that pilot's working hours were very low - limited by regulations. Surely they're not working fewer hours than regulations permit.

• Advertisement

Can someone in the know explain what IAG are looking for under the umbrella of “productivity”?

Advertisement