Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK state pension

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Seen it mentioned that you can apply online? Anyone have a link because it's really confusing me.

I studied in UK for 4 years, then lived another 3 there working.

My wife is a UK national and moved to Ireland in 2012.

Hoping we may be able to have some success. Even if it's just her. It's all just overwhelming in terms of what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Deenie78

I got my letter (2 copies in fact) yesterday after applying on line a month ago - still trying to make sense of it as it says I have 13 years when I should only have 9 but nonetheless was really impressed to receive the letter so quickly.
    Am I correct in saying I could decide to just make my repayments from 2015 to now and then no more and I would still get a pension, albeit not a full one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Pay what ever you like. Call HNRC and tell them what years you are paying then pay (online) and wait like a good few of us here.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Everyone gets a bonus few years. I think it's to account for time in education (even if not in UK).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Widows Son

.Yes.. but 180 odd euro a year going forward,you would hardly feel it .. and it would pay back many times if you lived a few years after retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Got my forecast back .

Mainly class 2s but a few years when was off with kids have to pay class 3s .

Contacted them because I made a mistake on the online form and to ask about class 2s as the online form does not give the option to request class the way the paper form did .

The guy on the phone was surprised at that because he said he didn't know the two forms were different but they are . Also more about all the places of employment which as others have found is crucial to what class of contribution you end up making .

He took note of my mistake and put a message on my file .

That was only a few weeks ago .

The letter listing my voluntary payments amount gave a number to contact to confirm whether paying vol contributions would increase your pension or not ?!

Has anyone else noted this ?

I rang a few times , cut off a few then got through and waited in queue about 40mins which is par for the course it seems .

A nice lady from Future Pensions advised me to contact NI to get a reference number and to pay a few of the cheaper years off, taking note and asking NI to take note of the years paid , to bring my pension to the minimum contribution( 10years ) from the 7 which I have .

Not to pay the full amount back in one go . But to check my pension forecast then again 8 to 10 weeks later to ensure all ok ?

I was surprised as I said would I have time to pay the rest before April 2025 but she repeated not to pay all in one go .

Anyone else below minimum 10 years advised to do this ?

Am a bit concerned why I was asked to do that .

That's essentially what I was told. Paid 5 years to bring me up to the minimum 10 about 4 months ago, forecast hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

I presume your age would have a big factor in the pension forecast and what they are telling you to do, might be different for others. I was not told to do that, but I am 40 so will be paying another 25 years or so.

Yes you are correct in saying once you have 10 or more years contributions you are entitled to the UK pension. There is a calculation you can do to see how much you would get weekly. I worked out mine for 11 years and it was something like £66 per week. Now like someone has said already, if you are entitled to pay class 2 at only £170 or so a year I would definitely continue to pay and that exactly what I am doing. I have 11 years and I have another 26 years until retirement. The pension is way better than any private pension in terms of what you pay and what you get.

I would definitely check why they say you have 13 and you think you have 9. Someone mentioned about studying, but that doesn't sound right. I worked 4 years and got 4 years.

• Advertisement

So do you reckon they don't think I am worth it ?

Was all set to pay as much as I could afford but don't know what to think now .

@RCSATELLITES ...

"I would definitely check why they say you have 13 and you think you have 9. Someone mentioned about studying, but that doesn't sound right. I worked 4 years and got 4 years."

It depends what age you are .

Some are entitled to the extra years for education but others not .

I read about the details on another forum .

Starting credits for those in full time education aged 16 years and for two further years were granted from 1975 onwards to encourage students to stay and finish their education .

So as not to discourage those who studied abroad, you did not even have to be in the UK to benefit from starting credits. The system of starting credits ran for several decades but was abolished for those reaching 16 from 6 April 2010 onwards when the full pension age was reduced to 35 years and so allowing plenty of time to pay NICs as well as study .and attend third level .

Thanks for the information in relation to the studying / start off credits. I probably got them from Ireland, but as I only went to UK in 2012 when I was 28 probably why I didn't get them.

I think what they are saying is not to overpay. As people could overpay in their pension but still have the same payout weekly.

You should definitely pay as much as you can.

How many contributions have to go already?

If it's only like 10 then paying all the years will definitely benefit you and get you more per week. If you have 33 then yes don't overpay when you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Has anyone managed to fudge the Class 2/Class 3 eligibility requirements?

Annoyingly, after working in the UK for 12 years, I worked for an Irish company while living there for over a year before moving back to ROI. Paid Irish taxes during this time. I think, but not sure, that it rules me out of Class 2 eligibility.

If I was you, I would put the date you finished working in the UK company as the date you "left". After all if you paid Irish tax with the Irish company then technically you stopped being a tax resident in the UK.

Then put the Irish company as the first company you worked with, overseas and so on. Use their Irish address as the company address.

You would have contributed to the Irish prsi for that year and thats proof that you worked overseas.

I asked HMRC what they meant by "immediately after leaving the UK" and they said everyones circumstances are different and there is no set time limit as such. It's the way it's worked that might put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I posted additional information to them last week including the names and addresses of employees and general dates I worked there.

I don't have the exact dates and several of the companies are now dissolved. So, I also included PRSI payments I got from social welfare web site. So they know exactly how many weeks per year I was working.

But I bet they ask for exact dates. I'm wondering if I can get dates to month level from social welfare.

I even remembered a company I worked for, for only a couple of months in my search for information.

Yes. I won't have over the amount of years but thought definitely worth paying them if I have the funds . That's why I didn't understand why she said only to pay a few to make up the minimum .

(I was wondering if there was a hint in there which I just didn't get ?)

The last year 23/24 is going to cost £907.40 class 3 , which would be a bit of a hike going forward for the next few years if not working and would be something for me to think very hard about .

One thing for people to consider as well if paying from a lump sum or savings , as to calculating value is tax.

You will pay tax on anything you get over and above your Irish state pension .

There is a reciprocal agreement between UK and Ireland where you can fill a form which allows you not to have tax deducted in UK but then you declare your UK pension to Revenue here and it is taxed again

Anyway long story short , when calculating the benefit of paying voluntary NIC, take into account the tax that you will pay on it .

Still a good investment I reckon. Just stay healthy ,

Or in other words "live long and prosper !"🖖

This is my oh's problem too .

You may have this info already sorry for repeating if so .

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/0fbf7-request-a-contribution-statement/

You can get a contributions statement from Social Welfare but not sure if it gives exact dates just how many a year which should be enough for them as they only want to work out how many weeks each year you paid .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks

Yes I got the informal one from MyWelfare that was immediately available, which I sent to the UK and requested a statement which is the same information in a digital formal letter. So it's number of weeks per year rather than actual weeks. Hopefully it's enough. Will do more digging for dates and send them a copy of the formal one too.

Also, it's worth doing regardless to make sure your Irish prsi payments are what you think they should be.

Exactly .

Think once they have the number of weeks paid per year is what they want .

Update to my previous post

Looks like the information to pay just a few years is ok but ring this number if paying some and not all off and specify which years and which class you are paying .

NI 00441912037010

Waited a long time in queue again but the person was very efficient, answered everything and I am now in a position to start paying back some of my years (as much as possible ) and they know which years I am paying .

She said the delays with it being displayed online on your Gov.UK statement are due to incorrect reference numbers , and confusion over which specific years are being paid for , as well as the sheer volume both abroad and in the UK !

Reference number is as said before by posters here ...

Your NI number , followed by IC , followed by your surname , and then your first initial if it fits in .

(Don't use any other reference number as they need your NI to link the payments to your account )

Other details for online transfer ..

Account name is ..

HMRC NIC Receipts

BIC BARCGB22

IBAN GB49BARC20204830944793

Same for both classes but if paying different years or different classes , phone the number above to specify which to avoid confusion and delay .

Going to get to it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Sounds good. I submitted tax returns in the UK which will probably count against me, but no harm in giving it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Unable to log in via the website / Gateway method. I lost my National Insurance Number and the recovery method isn't accepting any of my previous postcodes from UK.

So I'm having to (attempt to) call them and recover it that way.

Two days of trying, all with a minimum of 30+ mins on hold. Every time it has cut me off.

Anyone any advice on getting through to them? Is there a best time to call? Tried early morning, evening.

With the cost of the international calls, I'll end up paying the cost of the pension before I get through to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I can feel your pain got on to them after about 40 minutes after several previous attempts noticed that I had an extra €90 on my phone bill (land line).

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Set up a Skype account for the international calls. Calls to UK landlines cost about 2.4c per minute.

Friday morning 8am best time to get them . Read that on some forum and it has worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Sometimes the old fashioned way, although slower, works out best.

I retrieved mine this way last year. Turnaround time was approx. 6 weeks.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/fill-online/get-your-national-insurance-number-by-post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭beachhead

Tuesday am or Friday pm supposedly easier but who knows.School holidays as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭beachhead

That's good for Skype but a subscription and not paygo? What sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

2.4c for using regular credit, there are cheaper packages. Credit lasts indefinitely if you make one call or send one sms every 6 months.

Have all the lo-call type services like Telesaver and Telestunt been decommissioned? I used to use these but as my Virgin media phone includes calls to the US and UK I haven't done so for years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement