Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options
1336337338339340342»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Noone has really mentioned that Northern line is included in the plans for Spencer Dock

4.7.3.1 Alignment
    Spencer Dock Station requires the construction of four tracks and two island platforms. The design of these
    tracks includes the following key features:
    • Four platform tracks accessible from the MGWR line.
    • Two platform tracks accessible from the GSWR line (Platform 3 and 4).
    • Two platform tracks will be accessible from the Northern line (Platform 3 and 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

There will definitely be direct trains into Connolly, that's for sure. How frequent is the only thing up for debate. Some future "North Strand Junction" station would be great, though I can't see it happening. Lots of wee houses crammed into North Strand, but it would make a tonne of sense.

Yeah that's true, it's been mentioned. However the proposed plan has a single alignment connection between Ossary Road and Spencer Dock, into platforms 3 and 4 of Spencer Dock, so it's far from ideal.

Directing trains from the Northern line into Spencer Dock will require trains to wait for a signal on the Northern Line blocking other trains. That section of the Northern Line before it crosses the Tolka towards Clontarf is only dual track right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

New signalling will reduce those waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sorry, but which Docklands trains are blocked when there’s an up train at North Strand Junction? I’m not really understanding which Docklands train would be affected here.

• Advertisement

Not the current Docklands station (platforms only accessible from the Royal Canal line) - I mean the line from Drumcondra to the Docklands area (currently connected to the port), but will be upgraded to connect to the new Spencer Dock station.

The current signal area is right on the junction - I don't know if they plan on moving this signal light closer to Connolly (there is space). If a train is waiting at the current signal point to go to Connolly, it will block other trains moving between Spencer Dock and Drumcondra. Trains typically dwell here for 2-4minutes waiting for a green into Connolly. It's a fairly significant conflict.

That's all well and good, but it's not ideal to create another conflict point at a junction that is already congested. I can't see Northern Darts heading into Spencer Dock based on the current proposal.

I see what you mean now! I thought you were referring to the current situation, and the train at North Strand junction holding the previous sections. Trains are often also held at the previous signal to the junction, to mitigate effects of a spad at North Strand junction. You mentioned that there is space to move the signal closer to Connolly, or even add another signal, but with the current set up, that only works if you have a possible oncoming train approaching the down direction from Platform 7. The crossover from all other platforms takes place within the section between North Strand junction and Connolly. So while clearing the section for trains to Spencer Dock, it will block other Maynooth/Sligo/GCD trains departing from platforms 1 to 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

But isn't that why Maynooth line is the first line to be electrified ? Because it's budget and scope includes the Connolly area enhancements including the signalling aspect?

But which Connolly enhancements do you mean? In terms of upgrades to signalling and locations of signal points etc, I've no idea what upgrades are being made. I'm not sure where this is described in the Railway Order docs?…

What I can see in the RO docs is the proposed layout of tracks and crossover points, and @citizen6 is right - platforms 1 through 6 can only crossover to the outbound track on the Drumcondra line around Strandville Avenue. Based on that, the signal light for trains waiting to get into Connolly from Drumcondra will wait right on top of the North Strand junction, which will block access to/from Spencer Dock and Drumcondra.

I'm struggling to see how North Strand junction can possibly function with higher service levels into Connolly while not impeding access to Spencer Dock or capacity on the Northern Line.

• Advertisement

Any signalling changes can be done without needing a RO, and can be done at any time too. Same goes for crossovers and other small works.

There will of course still be bottlenecks after DART+, but the sensible thing to do is to run the services, find and fix the issues that arise due to electrification, see where the problems actually end up, and address those factors, rather than adding complexity and cost to fixing something that you think might cause issues after the project is done. There's a famous saying from computing that applies to all systems engineering: Premature optimisation is the root of all evil.

Changing from diesel to electric trains in these lines completely changes their timing. That plus the new, more flexible signalling may make those bottlenecks less of a problem than they are now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

”In terms of upgrades to signalling and locations of signal points etc, I've no idea what upgrades are being made. I'm not sure where this is described in the Railway Order docs?…”

”Any signalling changes can be done without needing a RO”

That’s good to hear. Planning permission should not be needed for anything small. I would raise the bar even higher as part of planning reform.

Just to be clear it's only my opinion that an RO isn't needed; I've no expertise or inside knowledge here.

However, those in the know have mentioned that ETCS signalling upgrades have been progressing already, and there's been no RO applications needed for that work.

As far as I understand it, an RO is the direct equivalent of a planning apication and so is only needed if structures are being erected, removed or materially changed. Erecting a couple of hundred cable gantries and building new transformers, stations, bridges and depots certainly needs permission, but my impression is that operational matters like moving signals around would not be significant enough to need ROs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,688 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Re-signalling does not require a railway order.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 OisinCooke

Something like this would be very doable I think. A two-level station on the junction just over ‘the dip’ has well enough space for two 168 metre platforms on all four tracks, (shown in purple) requiring only the shortening of the washdown siding on the northern line, which can just be shortened and accessed on a crossover after the station (shown in red). Access from Ossory Rd with space for a small car/bus park is also doable but I suspect it will mostly be an interchange station. Plenty of space also for a lift and over/underpass to connect all 4 platforms. I suspect it could be very basically and easily achieved and for a reasonable price even… dare I say!

I also think it's doable, but wouldn't be cheap or easy. The Northern Line would have to be 4-track, with platforms for 2 of the tracks, or one central platform. Currently it's 3-track in that section. Some of those houses would face significant disruption or require CPO.

One downside would be lack of direct interchange between the Royal Canal and Northern Line, although people could connect by switching at Glasnevin. Or an additional interchange station could be built on the Royal Canal section, but it would still require a 250-300m walk to proposed North Strand junction.

You can't really shorten the wash road. It's only just long enough as it is. At peak times, you wouldn't be able to clear platforms for incoming trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paul2019

A lot of people in the area live with the inconvenience of multiple railway lines without the benefit of a DART station to access the trains. This interchange, if it could be built, would be a game changer for locals as well as for existing DART users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not really. But the whole section needs a major overhaul between Connolly and Fairview.

The long term plan is less trains stabled and operating from Connolly, so it might not be as big an issue in the future.

• Advertisement

I guess nothing will happen until a report, or several, has been prepared on the 4-tracking element. In the absence of DU (in one form or another) for the foreseeable, an interchange at North Strand Junction will be badly needed. Capacity on the current and proposed Dart lines will be severely hobbled by constraints at this junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LastCall

On the subject of four tracking and pass-throughs, is there any suitable space on the Maynooth quad track or construct pass throughs, to alleviate pressure and speed Intercity / Commuter services.

For example, Navan road parkway looks like it could take a track either side of the station with a little bit of Re-Engineering.

Very rough picture but you understand my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

For most of the route past Broombridge, it has the canal on one side, but a lot of the line past Pelletstown there is green space the opposite side to the Canal.

Advertisement