Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ditto in Greystones. 18.6c atm. Dry/mostly sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

August is usually terrible and May usually reliable so the poster is largely correct, May was dry but on the cool side this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

windy here and that kind of heavy drizzle that leaves you soaked to the bone after walking 5 steps haha. I’d rather it rain proper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Horrendous weather in inishowen. 12C heavy rain with strong gusts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That's it , a few should band together and organise a national protest or better still a strike ,take to the streets with banners and placards 🪧 , we demand better weather!! we won't accept it, we deserve better!

I can see it now ,enough is enough..... to think all along I have been delusional and denying to myself thinking that I manage to actually enjoy the weather much of the time or not even get that bothered about it most of the time when all along I have been.....Big reveal .....accepting it, and another big confession ; actual enjoying observing, learning about and documenting the weather especially severe weather.

But sometimes it does get to me, I like light and blue skies and once I get enough of that don't mind the showers.

I don't moan and don't moan about the moaners.... OMG what am I , I don't fit into a category, I sometimes love the freshness of 15-16C but sometimes I love warmth or cold , I'm all confused now . Maybe there is a weather self help group out there or some cognitive weather therapy I could avail of or maybe there is a weather forum on boards for like minded people interested in meteorology, oh wait I'm in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Except it wasn’t, it was the warmest May on record. And whilst the nights accounted more for that than the days, the days were by no means cool relative to the 30-year average.

It was the sun that was disappointing about it. It was the cloudiest May in places for a decade since 2014. That was what made it feel cooler in most people’s minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

Lashing rain in Sligo but dry per the upgraded Radar.

This website is really a pile of shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Apparently next Wednesdays weather is unknown. Must put my wetsuit on and wellingtons and go for a walk, such a beautiful mid summer evening,i hope i dont get blown into the sea.

It was cool in Galway and sunny as well in May , everyone is talking about how cool may and the most of June has been ( humid this past week)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Absolute relentless deluge of rain in Galway all day long. Normal service has resumed. The garden and all surrounding land are a squelchy swamp. It's so dull, damp, dark and windy. It's showing 12C but the real feel is -19C. This summer is a complete write-off. The leaves are already falling from the trees and the unsettled swallows have left for Africa. We had basically 23 minutes of good weather over the past 6 months and the models are showing nothing but misery and windy deluges for the next 9 months. I have the central heating on and the stove lighting almost 24/7 and I still need to wear all my winter clothes on at the same time to try and keep warm. I went back to bed for 5 hours with 3 hot water bottles after a massive bowl of porridge and drizzle (no sugar or milk) just to retain some heat. The models are also showing that Winter will be a complete write-off. No snow, just mild dank cold muck with uber deluges of rain. In fact the next 3 summers look like a repeat of normal service. I haven't left the house since August 2018. Black hole sun won't you come and wash away the rain? Black hole sun won't you come won't you come…

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Not a bad day in Sligo.....

A horrendous one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

"And the forecast for Wednesday is no weather. Enjoy your day."

Wait... its gone up to 13c in Sligo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

13 degrees in the north east blowing a gael and sideways rain not sure how this will be the warmest June on record 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Artane2002

You have to love the Irish climate 😂

I arrived in Dublin today, June 27th 2024, in 13C, blustery, showery conditions

I arrived in Dublin on April 19th 2024, with the weather being 12C and broken clouds

I arrived in Dublin on December 23rd 2023, with the weather being 13C, blustery, and broken clouds.

I arrived in Dublin on July 14th 2023, with the weather being 14C, very dark, very wet, and very windy - in fairness though, this was arguably one of the worst summer days this century, so it doesn't say all that much by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Just cycled past lansdowne that wind is baltic. Poor Tay Tay better be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Most of June has indeed been cool but May wasn't… again referring statistically relative to average, not feel which can be completely different.

If we take your only Galway synoptic station, besides Mace Head as its temperatures are not all that representative given how exposed it is right at the coast, that is Athenry. Have a look at its daily temps through the month of May 2024. Its May average is around only 14-15C by day and an average min of around 7C.

26 out of the 31 days had a daily max temp above 15.0C so more than 80% of the month had above average temperatures by day. "Only" 6 of those reached over 20C which is actually more than you'd expect in a typical May though not exceptional. From the 21st-31st May, the highest max was 18.8C and none of these days were under 15C so each of them were above the monthly average even though nobody in their right mind would consider 15-17C "warm", it is above average - note May is a warming month so the monthly average may not be reflective throughout where the start would be a bit cooler and the end would be a bit warmer than the 30 year average. It's the persistence that led it to being exceptional overall rather than any outstanding days - this has been a common theme of late, especially with May.

The Athenry synoptic station only goes back to 2010. The May 2024 average max was the 4th highest in that period behind 2023, 2017 and 2020. It was even slightly above 2018 which I'm sure many would consider warmer in terms of feel.

Our sunshine recording network is sparse and Galway doesn't have a station of such. Closest are Shannon Airport (143 hours) and Belmullet (145 hours), Belmullet had a cloudier May in 2022 whilst Shannon hasn't had as cloudy of a May since 2014. These are very poor totals for what is meant to be the sunniest month of the year in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Jizique

George Lee and RTE will really struggle to build a story around climate change or is it global warning that they prefer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

do we have to explain this to you? It’s GLOBAL

80kph gusts now in Finner. How delightful but quite normal in any Irish Summer. What is a bit unusual in Sligo at least has been

A The number of colder than normal days in June. About 22 so far. Probably nearly as many as 2023 in total

B The number of nights with single digit temperatures probably as many as January If not more.

Markree had daytime temperatures TEN degrees warmer in June 2023 than June 2024 on most days.

Nights were even 16c at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

feel sorry for the poor lads stuck at green day in the wintery cold in Marley Park last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Miserable damp and dull in Galway temp 12.3 degrees it was warmer in the Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

On this day back in 1986, 111.0mm of rain fell at Aughnasheelin, Co. Leitrim Making it the wettest day in June on record .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Late June 86 had plenty of warm thundery weather if I remember correctly .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Non descript morning in N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Advertisement

What the heck is going on this Summer? Distinct lack of Summer heat in a lot of the Northern Hemisphere while record temperatures are still occurring in Africa, Asia and parts of America.

Advertisement