Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Patio cost - thoughts

Options
  • 27-06-2024 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Looking to get a confirmation if this is good value or not - I trust the lads doing it (Landscaping crew).

35m2 patio, shape looks like the below (assuming that it doesn't come out arseways):

.. ######..
    #########..
    ###########

Regular patio slabs, e35 per m2 type.

I've already dug it out and laid some hardcore (previous patio) but it will need additional hardcore, sand etc.
    It will need two x recess cover and also drainge (either sunakway or drain we can decide on the day).

Price includes all material/labour - 3,000e all in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd say it's okay if it was a concrete bed.

May be okay if it's not a concrete if that includes all the materials, as you have €1225 of slabs there, other bits I can see it hitting 2k, so €1000 for labour wouldn't shock me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks for the response!

It will be a hardcore bed, whacked, with sand on top. I didn't want pure concrete as that would create drainge issues so would like a bit of soakthrough.

Yes the 3k is everything (materials + labour).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Nothing wrong with that price.

However I would strongly advise a concrete bed. Very little will drain through the patio itself, if there's a good depth of hardcore then any run off can be directed to percolate through that at the edge. Otherwise ACO drain connected to a gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

from your post: July 5th sunakaway😎

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Would the concrete base cost a lot more? Why wouldnt the whacked hardcore suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't think you can beat a concrete base, but it's way more labor, so I'd expect the price to be a fair bit higher.

Thanks Explosive. Yeah it will be more labour, but I think I'll just shoot for the hardcore as it is.

It'll be okay, I hope :D Patios have been laid on hardcore and sand for aeons!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ants would be the only issue, I would choose concrete for that alone.

Interesting, never heard of that could you elaborate? Thanks.

Traditionally, are patios laid on concrete? Up to now I've only heard of hardcore/sand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Not much to elaborate. Ants can build nests easy in sand and hardcore, so we always had ants in the house every summer in my last rented house and they came up between the footpath and the patio.

I would only use concrete now, but it depends where you are in the country I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭standardg60

Even if laying dry sand wouldn't be used nowadays, paving grit is far more stable.

Ants will nest in sand and excavate a warren of tunnels.

Advertisement