Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"in bother."

Uhuh. Minimize much? I think the folks evacuating the Marshall Islands due to rising sea levels are more than 'in bother.'

And that's just one of many, many examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

agreed.
    That why I said humans are “in bother”

The planet is fine.

Uhhhh. Pedantic much?

And all the species that'll go extinct. They 'in bother' too? Polar bears, anything that depends on permafrost/ice, coastal-dwelling things. In bother?

And the more violent and frequent storms, those are fine for the planet? Worse droughts and wildfires, those fine too?

Basically, you're saying 'the rock that's spinning around the sun will endure, but a large amount of species on it are f*cked and those that do survive will be tougher due to the massive hardships they have to endure.'

Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Evacuating the Marshall Islands was due to nuclear testing, not rising sea levels.

• Advertisement

They've been there a very long time, left during bomb testing but it's recent that the dire predictions are scaring people there:

https://www.sprep.org/news/sea-level-rise-threatens-the-existence-of-the-marshall-islands

These are atolls, not islands. They by their nature form and sink as part of their natural lifecycle. Rather than sea-level rise, it's the land sinking that's causing the issues.

Have a look at the article I linked (there are dozens of others) showing 40% of the buildings on these 'atolls' going away due to accelerated sea-level rise, and get back to us.

Sea level rise denying. That's a new one. Must be the oceans are sinking.

https://phys.org/news/2023-12-coral-atoll-islands-outpace-sea-level.html

Some say the atolls are rising.

I guess, like the atolls themselves, the science isn't settled either.

Atolls by their nature are never settled.

Yeah sure if that keeps ya happy.

Point is humans are going to be under pressure, but the planet and its plants, plus the species that evolve to whatever conditions are at any given time- will be A- ok.

The planets grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

For a start, I am not anti green, I am anti Green party for the damage they have done to the green movement.

Secondly once again, what you call anecdotal evidence, I again call real life experience. The simple fact is before Ennis was bypassed by the M18 and Limerick was bypassed by the tunnel, it took an hour's driving to get through each of them. Same goes for towns with bypasses and ring roads up and down the country, where trying to get through what were, once bottle necks can now be done in a matter of minutes, saving fuel and time. Bury your head in the sand if you wish, but i have given the real life proof of 35 years driving the roads of this country.

As to it not being in Galway's interests, How about keeping the only traffic in any of our towns and cities being what needs to be in there, and not have it stuck behind the traffic that does not need to be there.

Finally, it was policies introduced by the Green Party stopped it. No matter what way you try to spin it or whatever insult you want to throw at me. That is a fact.

Post edited by theValheru853 on

To me the recycling service we had was perfectly good system that did what it was meant to.

For example, I would make a purchase, say a can of cola, and when the contents were used, I would rinse out the can, crush it and put it into my recycling bin.

Now, we make the same purchase under DRS, need to factor in the deposit per item, use the contents, rinse out the can, find someplace safe to store it so no damage happens to it, take it to the collection point where it needs to be pretty perfect going in or it will not register and then the machine crushes it.

And to top it all off, we cannot even cancel the recycling collections, because DRS does not take tetrapaks, the plastic bottles used for milk or the steel cans of the type used for canned fish, fruit, beans etc.

Another Green Party policy that back-fired on them, because I have yet to hear anyone in real life say anything good about the DRS.

We all know behaviours needs to change, but the people of this country are at the edge of what they can afford already, and the Green Party are just adding tax and levies one after the other. The result is what we saw in the local election and European election results. People have been turned away from the Green movement.

You are claiming we are missing targets and I do agree with that statement, but were the targets ever viable in the first place. Only today there is a report that emissions are up 7%, as people are actually switching back to ICE and away from EVs because theere is no proper infrastructure for EV. That is putting the cart before the horse.

The funny thing is this is not the first time it has occurred. A hundred years ago the same battle between ICE and EV occured and ICE won for the same reason it is winning now - convenience. You can fill ICE cars with fuel in 5 minutes and travel further than EV, where as the infrastructure is not there to charge EV cars and it takes lot more than 5 minutes to charge them for any appreciable range.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Kincora2017

The fact of the matter is what is currently stopping the road was the poor application/design process of the various parties responsible for the development (Arup/ TII/Galway county council etc.). They are obliged to know the standards and legislative framework under which the application is made. If they’d progressed the application quicker this could’ve got through before the CAP 21 became law. If youre doing massive infrastructure projects like this (or the Children’s hospital) you must have everything in order for your application or there will be repercussions down the line, one way or the other.
    Blaming the Green Party (who didn’t originate the CAPs btw - this was done before they were in government and CAP 21 is just the next iteration along) for the failure of the contracting authority to understand the legislation is totally missing the point.

Well sorry, but that's not how I, along with many others, see it. CAP 2021 was introduced by the department of the enviroment, which at the time, was under Eamon Ryan's direction, and was only published 3 weeks before the planning decision was announced. The planning process for the road had been in the works for at least 6 years at that stage and did take into account the previous CAP. You could say that it was 6 years work flushed down the toilet due to a Green Policy. To tell the truth, I'm suprised, considering the sums of money involved that ABP did not appeal the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Just looking through the RTE news website.

Why do News stations not properly research weather articles before broadcasting them?

The article claims that the highest temperature ever achieved in Ireland was 33°C, but in actual fact the highest temperature recorded in Ireland was in 1887, only a few years after Irish weather records began.

Why the scare tactics?

Why the inaccuracies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So the government can use stuff like this an excuse for more taxes and ridiculous green initiatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the highest ever was 33c in 1887, and meteorologists are dubious of this record anyway. What inaccuracies do you mean though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This one yea? https://www.rte.ie/news/environment/2024/0702/1457649-extreme-heat/

It seems ridiculous to report on this today as this is the coldest summer I can remember. I'm still wearing my winter hoody out on the 2nd July. That's a record.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's just poor science literacy I think. They make some basic mistakes around the use of the decimal point. Ireland's highest temperature is 33°C if you round it off, whereas it should really be written with one decimal place (as that's generally the accuracy limit of a meteorological thermometer) as 33.3°C, which they do later on the article.

The big mistake is they then use a rounded value and a decimal precision value in the same sentence later comparing 33°C which they say was the highest observed in Dublin versus the national high of 33.3°C, which you cannot do. They should have written 33.0°C or whatever it was, as 33°C could also be 33.4°C.

What exactly is the issue with hitting 33C?
    For how long?
    When?
    What are the consequences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 BLFOTR

Heating on in the house today as working from home. Can't believe how poor a summer it's been thus far seems to be the coldest i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BLFOTR

It's pointless watching or reading RTE "news" articles at this stage. The government have Montrose over a barrel and are using them to promote their agenda. George Lee must be absolutely livid it's been an awful summer he would have had a telephone directory full of climate fear mongering stories to fill his days. Oh well.

Huh. Elsewhere you're saying global warming is a crisis, with which I agree. Are you saying it isn't?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your confusion might be eased if you read about the difference between weather and climate

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ICE won due to the electric starter,not just convenience. Look at any map of new york between 1900 and 1910, there were chargepoints everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sooner the better we hit 33°.

I've just put the oil on and it's the 2nd of July. How depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

But is there any actual evidence of this?
    Everything I search for regarding Marshall islands and sea levels results in "projections" and what a sea level rise 'would mean'.
    No actual evidence though.
    If there isn't any, it means people are leaving the Marshall Islands based on what they are being told, rather than what is actually happening.

• Advertisement

I'm agree that EV was every where but it was still convenience caused ICE to win out, as it took forever to charge vehicles whereas ICE was a simple case of fill the tank and go. Only businesses held on as long as possible to electric vehicles, even here. My Mam used to work in the Mother's Pride bakery in Cork city in the late 60's /early 70's and was telling us the vans doing the bread rounds in the city were all EV and the diesel vans were used out the country but things slowly changed to full diesel as they wanted one type of vehicle for the fleet and diesel could do both runs. Again it came down to fill up and go.

Advertisement