Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No I'm not lucky, I've rarely had any issues. I'm alright Jack? It's returning a few cans ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

I find it ironic in that some people with posts pertaining to cash v card and how much quicker it is to pay by card and notes and coins being unhygienic and some posts on this thread, ah sure what's a few minutes extra to queue at a RVM if it is working!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The system worked for you and you don't understand why some people are complaining. Thats the definition of an I'm alright jack.

I do understand why people are complaining, they can't handle minor inconveniences and are throwing their toys out of the pram

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Walked past a coke can this morning and thought it would be ok to get it on the way back. Unfortunately, it was gone. Scheme is working. 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Possibly.

Although I've always done that on my street, put dumped ones into the green bin … don't like the sound of an empty can rattling in the night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Collecting them. Storing them somewhere. Driving to the machine that may or may not work. Queuing at the machine. Hand wet and smelly after doing it. Machine will reject a few for the craic and then take them.

Repeat forever.

Minor inconvenience it is not.

collecting them, like buying them? don't buy them then. quelle horreur all the same, such a workload, imagine having to wash your hands. absolute snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I found a rare positive!

I was on the train to a match a couple of weeks ago. It's safe to say that alcohol is de facto allowed on trains and perhaps during other events again. While technically not allowed, there isn't a staff member around who would give up the cash they'll get from collecting empty cans at the end of the journey. The return scheme has provided an incentive for them to look the other way.

For me on that day it was a positive. I do acknowledge though that for many more, this will be another negative.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I store them in a bag beside my recycling bin so no major issue with that. I dont go out of my way to drive to a machine I do my returns when I go to do my weekly shopping and it appears to have worked each time I used it. My hand hasnt gotten wet or smelly yet and my last return was 50+ items. Only my first trip had items rejected but accepted on 2nd attempt and it has been fairly smooth each time since. I get that machines can fail etc but Im yet to experience that around my local area yet.

• Advertisement

Chatted to yer man cleaning and emptying a machine this morning. Smallish SV, needs to be emptied twice a day and on average a jammed machine needs to be cleared twice a day. Workers allocated to "RVM" duty have apps on their phone reading % full and when to empty. So no excuse for machines not to be emptied for a lengthy period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

If it suits me then sod everyone else.

Is that what you really meant to say?

nah just stop moaning and do your bit, the amount of throwaway items we use is pretty disgusting and if you wont even contribute this tiny little bit of effort to the mess we're making of the place then i don't know what to tell you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So it would be possible to have that info on a public site. That would overcome a lot of issues for people without transport who have to do journeys in the hope a machine is operational.

That is asking a lot going by the way this scheme has been created and implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Maybe, but SV and the rest don't want to give you a reason to avoid their store so they'll never do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Was talking to a relation of mine, a manager in one of big stores and he was giving out about the machines breaking down and said that head office had not given a budget to their stores for managing the machines basically if its quiet they will attend the machine after that its pot luck.

Was only at the machine tonight with my black full as usual got a load of rejections, sometimes a wipe of the barcode and the machine accepts it. Still had 10 or so that machine wouldn't accept so tried the machine beside it and that took them with no problem.

What is annoying me is that labels come off some of the bottles which means i couldn't claim the money back on those. Surely they should have something on the actual bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Once the barcode is readable, you can cut it out and sellotape it back on, or on to another bottle. Plenty of out of scope empties knocking around. Obviously remove the collar/sleeve from the other bottle. Also works with cans, but sellotape a piece of paper over the barcode on the other can if there is one. The aluminium is easy to cut, even with normal scissors.

I did this as an experiment with crushed containers picked up while out walking. Every one successful in the machines, even ones I was very doubtful would work. I'm beginning to think there must be Danish machines in my local Tesco, they are working so flawlessly for me. But I suppose with 3 million items going in every day, problems are a small percentage of the overall.

Anyone wanting to experiment with this, use wide sellotape, and press the barcode on to the sellotape face down. Then stick it on the bottle or can. I don't know if I can claim credit for original thinking here, but I have not heard of anyone else using the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Could we have separate refuse bin for cans and plastic bottles. And just get rid of this scam please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The amount of sellotape you’d be using would counteract your 15 cent that is getting returned I’d say 😂

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Dont be silly.

Re-Turn is a not for profit company 👀.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Imagine how high your water bill would be now if people hadn't protested against the privatisation of our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The mental gymnastics being exercised here to justify this scam is nuts! FFS I even saw a post suggesting people should buy Coke tablets and mix them in their own bottles!!

It really is astonishing how some people will go through extraordinary lengths to prostrate themselves on the altar of "doing the right thing" - so long as they can be seen doing so of course! There's a real NEED in some for that validation and approval - something most evident during the Covid "crisis".

The only thing more annoying and frustrating than schemes like this is the inevitable bunch that will line up and pat themselves on the back while they're taken advantage of. Not only that but they'll loudly proclaim how great it is and criticise anyone who doesn't just follow blindly.

We already had and still have an effective domestic recycling process which has not only been undermined by this nonsense, but for which people will pay more as a result too. If they wanted to address litter elsewhere, all that was really needed is more bins in public spaces or at least stop removing those that remain.

This isn't about the "environment" or changing habits. It's about enriching yet another bunch of wealthy people at the expense of the ordinary public - something which is working quite well thank you very much! Oh sure, you can claim back your own money but we'll make you jump through as many hoops as we think we'll get away with to make it a chore and hope you'll just give up instead.

If some can't see that then they really aren't paying attention to how things work in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭jj880

Great post. Virtue signalling limelight chasers are a bizarre phenomenon especially when its obvious we're all being taken for mugs. I lean toward willful ignorance as regards those who proclaim they "dont understand" or refuse to discuss the glaring gombeenery at every stage of Re-Turn. It gets to a point there has to be a vested interest somewhere. No-one is that thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just got rid of two refuse sacks of cans, all accepted, 45 euro returned. And I didn't purchase any of those cans/bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You also are not getting your money back from the cost of the product purchased.

You are getting the cost of the recyling charge back, if you decide to recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

@ https://www.boards.ie/profile/_Kaiser_

How many of them would have gone to landfill? We have to raise our recycling levels. How would you suggest we do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That is a problem unnortunatley.

People rooting through bins looking for recyclables and leaving a mess on the streets as they scatter the litter/break bags.

Unintended consequence of the scheme, which no doubt will hit poorer areas harder.

Advertisement