Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The Daily Mail Has come up with a doozy from Variety's Co-Editor-in-Chief Ramin Setoodeh, who interviewed Trump over six sessions for a forthcoming book [In Apprentice in Wonderland: How Donald Trump and Mark Burnett Took America Through the Looking Glass].

According to Setoodeh, Trump claimed that Joan Rivers voted for him. Unfortunately for Trump, Joan died in 2014, two years and two months before the election that put him in the presidency. 'I thought she might have been a Republican,' Trump said. 'I know one thing: she voted for me, according to what she said.'

According to the Daily Mail report, after Trump lost the 2020 election, the Trump election team tried to push the angle that dead voters illegally cast votes for Biden. The Setoodeh/Trump interviews were done after the 2020 elections.

I feel that I must also make clear that I think the Daily Mail is playing both parties in the US off against each other in the wording of its reporting on both candidates.

The NY appeals court has declined to hear Trump's appeal against the gag order placed on him in connection with the hush-money trial to stop him making comments about persons involved in the trial.

Trump's legal team had wanted to argue that the gag order raised “substantial constitutional questions of the highest importance.” as it affects his core political speech in his election campaign and violates the rights of US citizens to hear him on matters of enormous public importance. A court official, Gary Spencer, said Trump has 30 days to file a motion of appeal against the appeal court decision, which would oblige it to make another decision on whether to hear that appeal, and maybe the whole appeal about the constitutionality of Judge Merchan's gag order.

It's possible that Trump's conviction for making false entries in his business record books to try and cover up the payments made to Stormy Daniels may be having an effect on his business-front as the shares price of his Truth Social media business are reported to have suffered major losses over the past few days. Coincidentally, it comes around the time that the sale of shares in the business to the public has been given the green light by the authority in charge of licensing and control of the market.

He's also promoted the idea at one of his rallies that he will, if re-elected, authorise the issue of thousands of Green Cards to immigrants as the US job market needs specifically qualified persons to fill gaps in the US employment section. The how's etc of running such a scheme and the nationalities of proposed new Green Card holders would naturally have to be taken into account by Trump as he is strongly opposed to people of certain nationalities being allowed enter the US by the federal administration.

Something which Trump recognized and admitted to is the value to Biden electorally of the students loans forgiveness plans by his [Trump] attacking them and stating that the plans will be revoked, again, if he gets re-elected. A USSC decision meant the previous federal student loan forgiveness plan/s had to be discontinued, which Trump also approved of, having mentioned it in his statement.

I'm waiting to see if Trump does an "offended against" runner from the debate scene blaming Biden or the host/s of discourtesy, etc to his as a former elected president or if he stays for the duration of the time allotted to him in the deal he has worked out in advance and agreed-to with the host/s. It would be good if it was in the form of a written legal document, kind of like a "pre-nup" binding his performance to its small print paragraphs. or face legal losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Opting for Biden will haunt the Democrats in this debate.

I'd be concerned for Biden's alertness and stamina in the face of what will be a much more energetic and no-holds-barred Trump over the span of the debate.

Could be ugly for swing voter perception of Biden's capacity to go another term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One candidate has spent the last week preparing with mock debates, and already showed perfectly adequate feistiness with a State of the Union speech so robust, the GOP had to resort to chattering about Biden being hopped up on drugs.

The other candidate has steadfastly refused to do any preparation at all.

I don't expect some silver bullet moment from Biden but any continued "concern" for Biden's ability on stage keeps getting put to bed - but then gets dragged out again. And given his opponent continues to bleed independent support through his own words & (illegal) deeds, Biden only need show up & let the other guy run his mouth off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Also , the rules of this debate do not favour Trumps bombastic "Flood the field with bullshit" approach.

Each person gets a fixed time to deliver a statement on a topic , then their mic is disabled and the opponent then has a quick rebuttal timeslot and then they get to speak and so on as they work through the list of topics.

Trump won't be able to interrupt , won't have a crowd to riff on and will struggle badly I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Alleged energy and what I can most politely describe as utter derangement isn't the winning combination you think it is. Trump was gaffe prone before but he's somehow dropped even lower in terms of coherence now.

Trump's spiel works on MAGA. To everyone else, it's just painful to watch.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And that's why this format won't help him..

He won't be able to shout out "zingers" or try to drown Biden out , he'll just have to give responses to each topic/question.

They are not allowed to have any notes at the podium , they'll have a pen/paper to take notes during the debate but they can't bring "talking points" with them.

Given Trumps complete inability to retain any actual facts he will struggle badly to answer in any kind of coherent fashion.

People will get to see the rambling verbal diarrhea he comes out with at rallies that most people don't typically see as he wont have any bullet-points to even try to keep him on track.

Trump has resoundingly lost every single debate he has ever participated in and this format will amplify all of his weaknesses hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I am confident that if this debate goes ahead, it will be the last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm inclined to agree, I think Trump will pull out claiming his water was drugged , he was given less time etc. as the excuse to not do the second debate. He will claim he won the debate (while all the unfair things was done to him) anyway but he does not want to support the fake news channels etc.; then will go of and have a "debate" on one of the sycophant channels instead. His MAGA crowd will lap it all up but the rest of the voters (esp. the independent) will not be impressed by Trump in this debate. I also expect Biden will get at least two country/date/state or similar mixed up in some form which the Republicans will latch on to as proof that he's demented while ignoring Trump's inability to even give a coherent argument. That's my prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agree, though to this point

He won't be able to shout out "zingers" or try to drown Biden out , he'll just have to give responses to each topic/question.

Trump will absolutely still try to drown Biden out & whether the mic is on or not he'll be heard, no question. I can't remember: how did this version of the debates go in 2020? Presumably about the same as you speculate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Was that the case in 2020? I remember there was that "Shut up man!" incident where Biden had to shout at his opponent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Pretty sure this is the first time that they will be actually disabling the microphones when it's not the candidates turn to speak.

Trump will of course try to shout and interrupt , but not sure how effective that will be - He might just end up being this muffled back-ground noise which may end up making him look even more "unhinged" to the independent voter.

Trump does not do well where he is expected to stick to a theme/script especially without a prompter.

He will be asked something like "What are your plans for the economy?" and without any bullet-points he will struggle as he absolutely will not have any substantive detail to share and in the 5 minute or whatever speaking slot he has for each question, he will be rambling about Electric sharks , Windmills and shower pressure after 90 seconds at best.

I saw a great analogy about the choice between Trump and Biden from a former Bush Admin advisor.

If you want someone to house sit your home and you have two elderly men you have to choose between," Dowd described. "You have to pick one: One, this guy named Joe Biden who is elderly. He may forget to turn the porch light off, and he may take a nap or two. But he's going to water your plants and feed your dog. Donald Trump, the house sitter, will kill your plants, sell your furniture, and kill your dog and probably let the burglars in so he could split the profits on whatever the burglar is going to get."

Pretty much nails it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This analogy works well for me, though it's about undecided voters:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, Biden would probably forget to water the plants and feed the dog as well…but still.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where to go with both parties in defensive mode over their candidates, with one candidate using his own media site to attack the suitability of the other while moaning about other failing media sites "fake news" before the debate of the year?

Given Trump's stalking behaviour at the debate between him and Clinton, and the reported restrictions imposed on him by the host channel tomorrow, I expect a similar play by Trump for his fanbase as it's live TV, him gaslighting Biden to create an excuse or incident to "excuse" his walking off the stage away from the host and Biden and a follow-up broadcast on "Truth Social" giving his version of what happened at the CNN event [though the debate will be fully recorded interference and manipulation free by dozens of TV and media sites world-wide] as he is unable to differentiate between truth, reality and his lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If Biden under performs, even if he spends 90 minutes spouting rubbish Trump will claim a victory. If Biden does a state of the union on it, Trump will declare that the setting was against him from the start, that he wasn't allowed to respond adequately, that no president has been treated as badly as him since the big bang happened.

I'm going to have my popcorn ready.

Good idea. If HE starts acting up, throwing the popcorn at the screen won't damage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'd be surprised if the true fragility of Biden at his age with his very obviously declining physical and mental attributes are not shown up tonight.

For the record I have no issue with Biden's policies or this term as president. I just think he is too old and frail.

Trump is old too, of course, but he's not visibly frail to the degree Biden is. He'll have far more energy and no matter what craziness he might say optics like stamina and strength matter in political leadership in the US like few other countries.

• Advertisement

You can only be trying to convince yourself with this post. You've spent years shilling for Trump and this is the end result. Trump can't count the number of world wars, thinks people should inject bleach, incited a fascist coup and last time I checked, was wittering on about sharks or something.

H. H. Asquith

All true, but CFTRump looked much better than Biden in the debate, which is all that matters. Carter made Ford look like an idiot in their final debate based on Ford's famous gaffes. Biden looked much worse, and I've watched both those debates.

Biden made CFTrump's run much easier and loads of campaign material available now making Biden look bad.

Just a depressing morning. Could tell in the first 15 minutes Biden was doing poorly and it didn't get better.

I'll take your word for it.

There's months to go. It's hard to see any serious person decide that Trump is going to be a better president.

H. H. Asquith

I will jump for joy to be proven wrong. Just depressed this morning, that was ugly. I guess "Be careful what you wish for" comes true yet again. CFTrump lied, and gave little rally snippets all evening long, and brushed off attempts to call him up on them.

The polls are going to be ugly. Biden did nothing to get the 'progressives' on side, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Looks like we get another 4 years (minimum) of Trump being the most powerful man in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not sure debate performance matters that much in the grand scheme of things but it's certainly far from ideal.

It's impossible to actually debate someone who's entire repertoire is just brazen lies and invective. CNN did a fact check dump on Trump afterwards which unsurprisingly revealed he barely made one true statement but it's too late then.

CFTrump only lies. Got him elected once and continues to do well for him. It's not CFTrump -it's Americans. Tens of millions of them are fine with his lies. A real time fact check during the debate might've helped some, but not with Biden stumbling and mumbling his way through it.

If CFTrump wins, much like in 2016, this is on the Democrats. What I think will happen is that CFTrump will surge ahead in the polls and, if he listens to his advisors, just play it quieter going forward. It'll be his election to win.

I don't know what Biden will do. Get him out there more? How did that work last night? Being asked about the economy shouldn't have been a fumble - all CFTrump did was lie, Biden could've and should've picked that apart.

Same here. I think it's very possible that Trump can win due to the anti-democratic system they have. It's hard to see how this will change many people's minds.

I thought the primaries were over. Why are there debates if the primaries are yet to be decided?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in fairness Trump couldnt even build a wall in 4 years. doesnt scream "most powerful man in the world" . im sure some mid level dork in China got whole cities or mag Lev lines built in the same time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

I think to some extent CFTrump baited Biden into debating. I might very much be wrong - maybe Biden wanted to capitalize on his convictions ("I hear you're free Wednesday.") Whatever it was, hindsight shows it was a terrible idea.

IMO the election was Biden's to lose until last night. CFTrump appeared to be falling apart and his message was starting to resonate less. Now he's got the momentum and it'll be exploited. I can easily see him skipping the next debate - he may clearly be in the lead, why bother? That's worked well for him before, and the old debate committee's been shown the door.

Biden will have to win this one selling his story directly to the public. Damn but Newsome would've been such a better candidate. Or Harris.

Advertisement