Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Thanks for the reply! when the possibility of the half first presented itself I was on the fence thinking I didn’t want to be getting ahead of what the marathon training plan would have me at at this stage. But I’m so glad now that I saw sense (and asked on here in a different thread that set me straight).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The barcelona half is class. It's a really nice course. In general very wide, pretty flat overall (although there is a hill at the 18k mark but it isn't that long) and nice and scenic too. Loads of support for it as well which was great. It is really well run too. Definitely do it if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's in the opening post. It's the second link under "Training Plans"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thanks, couldn't open it on my phone for some reason, do you know if there's a kilometre version?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I just used the pace table on the right to convert to km last year. You kind of get used to them yourself after awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just wondering what pace is recommended for the long slow runs? Same as easy runs or even slower?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Your long slow run pace would be a touch slower than easy pace.

I use the McMillan website to calculate my paces - you'll find long run pace under endurance.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finished the week with 2 5k's and a 10k. 10k didn't feel as bad as expected, plan starts Monday so tough road ahead.

Week one for me will be 3 slow 5k's and a 13k slow long run.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hi all! It’s the eve of DCM training! As and from tomorrow you will be officially marathon
    training! It’s not as scary as it sounds but it will begin to feel a bit more real and a step
    towards running Dublin Marathon for the first time. It’s exciting.
    Welcome to all those who have thrown their hat into the ring. I think I’ve replied to everyone
    who has commented here with their intro so far but if I missed your post just tag me.
    We have 18 weeks of training ahead of us. So while we’ve plenty of time yet, don’t
    underestimate how quickly the weeks will fly. You will have good weeks and you’ll have
    bad weeks. You’ll look ahead and wonder how on earth you are going to run 16 miles/ 20
    miles. Trust the plan. It is designed to get you closer to being able to run a marathon bit by
    bit. But the only person who can truly get you to the start line is YOURSELF. YOU need to
    put in the work – no one else can run the marathon for you. Do this for yourself.
    So here’s the first week of marathon training beginning 24
    th June:
    Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    HHN1|rest|3m easy|3m easy|3m easy|rest|6m lsr|cross
    Boards |rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|4m easy (5 x100m strides)|3m easy|rest,cross or 3m
    rec|8m lsr|2m rec
    So a lot of EASY on the plans for this week. Keep it easy, relaxed, a pace you could have a
    chat at. You will have the best chance at being able to stick to the marathon plan is if you
    keep your easy runs easy.
    The plans are in miles but there are probably others here (like myself) who work in “new
    money” and run in kilometres. As an approx : 3m = 5km, 4m = 6.5km, 5m = 8km, 6m =
    10km, 8m = 13km.
    There are strides on the Boards plan for this week – strides are a drill to practice picking up
    the pace. Approx 100m (distance of 2 lap posts) or about 30 seconds. You control your
    acceleration, run a sustained run about 90% effort and good running form and then a
    controlled deceleration. It’s not a sprint but a controlled effort. Allow a bit of time to
    recover either standing or walking recovery. They might take a bit of getting used to if
    you’ve never done them before.
    Lastly, I would encourage you to post and interact here. Let us know how each week is
    going – the good and the bad. Ask the questions – there are no stupid questions and
    probably someone else is wondering the same thing. If you are following a different plan –
    please do update here with what you are doing and how it’s going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

I am very excited for all of you. It has been 5 years since my novice days and it was totally with it. Best of luck everyone 💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosenallis

Thanks so much for all the information @Sunny Dayz . While i'm following a Runna plan, i think the principles (i hope!) with Hal Higdon plan seem to be the same. A couple of questions I hope you can help me with

• I'm confused between the difference between Easy Runs and Long Slow runs. This week on Saturday it's planned to do a 2.8M Easy Run and Sunday a Hilly Long run of 4.55 to be ran at conversational pace.
      • As weeks progress it's roughly Friday Easy Run, Sunday Long Run. Do I just aim to run the Easy Run a bit faster?

Just comparing and contrasting. I am running 4 days per week with no cross training (roughly two speed/ intervals, one Easy Run and 1 Long Run). I wonder is this enough as Hal has 4 runs & 1 x Cross built in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭slingerz

I am about 2K from the start line of my local parkrun so the idea was to run to it and from it and use it as my long run of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Amadeus 2014

Well there is a coincidence - apparently I haven't been on Boards since 2014 and likewise I wound up on the site by random chance yesterday. Thought I'd check in on here and ended up spending a really nostalgic hour or so re-reading that original 2009 thread. I can't believe Sub430 is now aiming at Sub300 - fair play and well done! Brought a lot of memories flooding back, I'd forgotten that was also the year I paced the 4hr Group. I know a lot of people from that first group went on to be mainstays of this Board for a long time and have run a lot of very good races over the years.

When you do this for a while the races all blur into each other after a while. But you will always, always remember your first one. Good luck to you all and especially to Sunny - mentoring this thread is an honour and a privilege, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Hi rosenallis - I'm not that familiar with Runna plans - if they incorporate any cross training at all? Possibly you could use one of the prescribed rest days as a cross training day - be it a swim, strength and conditioning etc.

An easy run should be run at a pace that feels easy for you. Long run pace should be a touch slower - it should feel slow and you will think you are going too slow. I generally run with a group on my long runs and find that we can all chat along while we are running, we hardly notice that we are running at all. Rather than thinking that the easy run has to be faster - think of it that the long run has to be run slower.

Well done! Great to hear that it wasn't as bad as expected. Ah the road ahead won't be tough - take it run by run, week by week and you'd get through it. Good to see the mention of SLOW in your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosenallis

Thanks for responding. They incorporate S&C twice a week.

I am questioning the right balance. In the plan I am following it's 2 x short interval/ tempo runs where I'm gassed and 2 x longer easy and long slow runs where I should be able to manage in a slow conversation.

My inexperience would have led me to believe that I should be doing mid-long runs where I need to push myself a bit, my heart rate is up and it's a bit more difficult to achieve.

Maybe it the experience of PE in School being loads of GAA pitch laps to build up cardio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Best of look to all taking part this year. I was part of the 2022 group and it was brilliant. Enjoy the process, trust the plan and listen to your mentors :D

excited for the 1st day of training in the HH novice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Hi all,

A little late to this thread but anyway!

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 

Clontarf half July 2023 1.39.42, Clontarf half November 2023 1:40.48

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 

No

• How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 

3 times a week, usually 2 10kms and a longer one at the weekend (18km last weekend).

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream under 4 hours but I'll be happy to finisk

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 

4/5 days, boards plan

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? 

Niggles, injury, etc

• The most important question - Why are you running this marathon? 

First child due later this year so if I don't do it now it might be a long time before I do!

I'm probably a bit ahead of where I should be at this stage so I'm wondering what's the best approach, cut my current training this week down to the Boards plan distances or just keep myself tipping over for a few weeks and then pick up the Boards plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 

Haven't done much races in a long time. Been doing parkruns and have a seasonal PB of 23.24. Season 10k PB 54.58 as part of a training run - there scope of improvement on that one!

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) 

Nope, not unless the training plan calls out for it! :)

• How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week,
      cross training, etc - whatever you think is relevant to your current
      fitness level. 

I have started the Runna 22 week training plan, the previous 4 weeks has been - 16k, 23k, 35k, 25k (deload).

Before working on basic aerobic fitness with lots of zone 2 training in the bike and running. Was training for cycling sportive

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I am looking at an A time of sub 4 and B time of sub 4.30.

I did the DCM 5 years ago and was not happy with my time, I did a 16 week training plan coming off a very low base and hit the wall badly - finished in 4:51:58 with a half time of 2:11:24. I feel like I left a lot of time out there, I was aiming for a sub 4.30. Probably lots of things I didn't do right and now I am back for redemption ;)

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? 

Doing 4 runs a week with 1 day yoga for mobility and 2 days strength and conditioning. Finding it hard to get the 2 S&C in, so they are the first to get dropped. Find I do the yoga twice a week now, find it really helps with recovery!

I am following the Runna 22 week training plan, I wanted a longer training plan as I am worried about being able to complete the long runs in the training plan along with the training load. I struggled with this before, but I hope that I am coming off a better fitness base now.

I plan do to the Dublin Race series events as part of this 10k, 10 mile and half. Probably do 3/4 mara in longwood.

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? 

Training is going fine at the moment, but I am worried that when it comes to the longer runs that the wheels will come off the wagon. When I last did marathon training I struggled to get some of the longer training runs done.

I also have a 2 week holiday in September and I am worried about the impact this will have on my training. I hope to train (perhaps swap a deload week) but not sure if I will be able to.

• The most important question - Why are you running this marathon? 

I enjoy a challenge and setting a goal for myself - but it mostly about proving to myself that I have the fitness to do it and hopefully do it well.

• Advertisement

I have to say I’m finding the upturn in frequency of running tough going atm. Would it be wrong to drop one of the mid week runs a while? I was usually only 1 run a week and doing 3 days in a row is taking its toll

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

You’ve gone from running 1 day a week to 4/5 with 3 days a in row? Most people will be injured in no time.

Post edited by Trampas on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Going from 1 run a week to presumably 5 , seems very aggressive to me. I would definitely think it's too quick of a ramp up.

How has your pace been for your runs?

I found running lots of days in a row takes a bit of getting used to, the most important part of it is to keep your easy runs to a very easy pace. For easy 5ks or whatever you should be getting to the point where you feel better after the run than you did before.

To give an idea of how much easier I run a random 5k, My 5k race pace is about 05:10/km at the moment, I ran my 5ks on Tuesday and Wednesday at over 7:00/km (I was going by heart rate)

Hi Lost Art - If you feel you are a bit ahead of the plan you wish to follow, then you may be best to keep "tipping over" until your runs line up with the plan. However look at the plan you wish to follow and see if there are some types of runs that might line up for you eg tempo or intervals.

Best wishes with your impending arrival later this year - due before or after the marathon? (I'm assuming you're male, otherwise I'd wouldn't recommend marathon training for someone during pregnancy)

A great post comanche_cor - you sound like you are primed and ready to take on DCM training. Your worries are valid and normal when it comes to a training plan. I think we all worry about sticking to the plan and if we can get all the runs in. I don't think anyone sticks 100% to a plan - there's always a curveball along the way. However when you can see things ahead - like a holiday - then you will find a way to work around it, eg get your long run before you go and keep the body ticking over with runs on holidays exploring your new location.

Going from 1 run a week to more days can be tough. And 3 days in a row is hard. Can you run every other day, ie taking a rest day inbetween to recover? Try keep your runs short and easy to get the body used to running more than one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

The uptick in exercise is going to require other areas being looked after to facilitate the extra stress on your body. Nutrition, recovery and sleep are going to play a key part in your progress over the next few months.

The 3 days back to back to back are a new stimulus so will take a little getting used to. Get through to the first down week and see how you're feeling then.

I am following the Hal Highdon Novice. Program it’s Tuesday/wednesday/Thursday with the long run on Saturday.

It’s an uptick In frequency and volume for sure and the 5Ks are around 7:00-7:20KM so nice and easy but the body feels fatigued with the 3 days in a row. I was thinking if I did Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday and dropped one of the midweek runs initially it might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Based on my own experience I think that should be doable. I started the Hal Novice 2 Half marathon plan about 10 weeks back. I felt myself getting closer to pulling something early on so dropped to the novice 1 plan which has shorter mid week runs, then swapped back into novice 2 after a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Hi Slingerz, running on consecutive days helps build endurance by preparing your body for the tiredness of long distance running, which is essential for marathon training. Your muscles, joints, and cardiovascular system adapt to the stress of continuous activity, making you stronger. While consistency is key, it's very important to listen to your body. If you feel pain or excessive fatigue, it's okay to adjust the plan and take rest days. A balancing act we all struggled with in our first Marathon

Essentially by following this plan and understanding the purpose of the three consecutive running days, you'll be better prepared both physically and mentally for your marathon but don't beat yourself up if you take rest days because of fatigue.We all get there differently

The best of luck

Mark

Advertisement