Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Is that the same Damien O'Reilly who did Countrywide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

how is this woman who basically got famous for lip syncing viral videos the answer to 2fms woes? all she does is pull funny faces on camera!? nonsense of the highest order. surely there is someone in 2fm that could be promoted up from a lesser slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

The inexorable drift to the Chatbot 2000 continues when someone well known for miming videos can take over a show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is it not Justine Stafford that is getting it, not Kayleigh Trappe?

Basically the same thing but at least Stafford seems to have original content in fairness to her rather than just miming. Miming without the black & white face paint may I add!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think you got skin in the game here.

100 k for playing music and talking muck for 2 or 3 hours a day is money for jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Chris & Ciara would have been ideal to move from weekends to weekdays now… except they were fired.

How has Dan Healy not got his marching orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That headline is not backed up by what is actually in the article....lol

Her contract was always for 5 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

There has been so much spin and backpedalling with this story, it'd keep a wind turbine going for a month. What an unedifying mess.

Most people would be dusting down their CV and looking at their options if their employer humiliated them like this. I don't buy that "For 5 weeks" story that's being pushed now. They decided to pull Lottie for reasons best known to themselves and it was manna for the red-tops. Because Lottie knows she'll never have an easier or better-paid job than that of "Showbiz reporter" she'll take it on the chin and hang on in there. Dan Healy & Co know it too. Lottie will do anything to stay in 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

This is literally what RTE said:

"And then in the afternoon, 2FM veteran Lottie Ryan will be presenting the drivetime slot with David O’Reilly, taking over the reins from The 2 Johnnies.

Lottie is a familiar voice to listeners on 2FM and David has been building his profile on the station, regularly joining Jennifer Zamparelli in her slot 'Jen’s friends' and he also co-presents a podcast called Any News with Brendan Courtney.

Head of RTÉ 2FM Dan Healy said: "We are very happy that for the summer we are strengthening our schedule with 2FM homegrown talent with Aifric, Lottie and David.

"It always starts with the audience first and this summer's schedule is built with only them in mind. I believe that 2FM has the most exciting mission in RTÉ. Our mission is to inform and entertain younger audiences with wonderful music, chat and sport. The summer is full of music and sport and that is where we will be.

"We will be working hard to continue to build a station with the next generation of 2FM presenters and there's no shortage of those." "

I mean, you can understand how Lottie Ryan thought she was in "for the summer" - its funny how of the three of them named, the other two are still on air next week.

So it does sound like she was told you're in till September, then sacked, she went to the papers and was then told "this is the line to stick with" and she went along with it. Like everything else in RTE its as clear as mud and the whole thing seems very in house political.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

I agree. I think they should face lived with the decision however. Lottie isn’t in the door so they should have known her ability. More so, if they were in doubt, do a trial show in house and test the format out. They didn’t and someone shot from the hip appointing Lottie fur the summer. Ok, it’s not working as expected Give them pointers on presentation style. Basically do whatever the fúck you need to do to keep the show on the rails. It’s only 3 months after all. You’ve made a public facing decision, live with it and thank your stars it’s just for the summer.

What you don’t do IMHO is pull one half of the team after 3 weeks seemingly very suddenly. Also don’t blindside them so they’re pissed off and likely to head for the papers. OK, now they’ve kind of corralled the blowback It’s made the place look like an even bigger basket case than it is. Head of Radio of whoever is in overall control in there should be rounding up the various gimps responsible, pulling them into their office and chewing the atses off them before admitting a good kicking and probably P45s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

RTE/2FM want to dump Lottie but looks like they can't get rid of her, no surprise, so come out with statement that trys to cover up for firing her from the slot after it was a disaster.

It gets worse by the way.

No chance by the looks of it Lottie is leaving what we would have to expect is a big pay cheque, so is she back to entertainment snippets during the day and trying to act like a teenager?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newbie12345The

It’s all very bizzare if you ask me. To get that excited about a 5 week stint screams something is off. She was getting congrats from her pals online - all for a 5 week role

They are both trying to save face

2FM for sticking her on another show and it been a disaster, then call would be made to fire her

Lottie because she doens't want to admit she was useless, again, and doesn't want to lose her nice pay cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

If she’s still a contractor then just let her go when her contract is up if not then she can be one of the 400 getting cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Part of the problem for Lottie bombing in the slot she got was that the listenrship the two johnnies had pulled were at the opposite end of the spectrum from where Lottie would be fishing.

I used to put on the two johnnies when I wanted a laugh and some easy listening. I had her on for 10 minutes and switched away.

the huge problem with the RTE restructuring is that the redundancies are voluntary. They shouldn’t be allowed to pull that one. It should be involuntary redundancies as experience by most people living in the real world. You won’t get rid of Lottie or any other underperforming hangers on in a voluntary redundancy. Instead you’ll lose Dave who is good at his job, is sick of the crap and knows he’ll do better doing the same job in an independent company or Laura who has been there a nice while, wants to slow down and takes the redundancy to allow her to work maybe a 3 day week ride where to ease into retirement. So you’re losing experience and competence while the hangers on linger. It’s even more destructive as anyone who is turned down due to being seen as too valuable has already taken the mental step towards leaving so will go eventually if they’d own accord.

You don’t clear out kifers and intransigents with voluntary redundancy. It’s the opposite. It only doubles down on stupid and makes the place worse overall.

Oh I would say she is a contractor but RTE skill to negotiate seem to be pi** poor. So she is probably entitled to some lump sum payoff or an automatic renewal even if she is terrible

After all she is "the talent" 🤣

Exactly, the good people will take a big payout safe in the knowledge they will walk into another radio station

Get rid of lottie and…….did Gerry work outside of RTE?

• Advertisement

Both really deserve to be rid of each other. 2FM for docking Lottie around by putting her on the show while knowing her capabilities and then pulling her 3 weeks in, Lottie for jumping the gun and going straight to the papers badmouthing her employer without trying to address things internally and then causing a massive embarrassing climb down on both sides that doesn’t refldct well on either party. I do feel sympathy for Lottie but it’s time at least one party grew a pair and did the necessary.

I see parallels between what happened to Ryan Tubridy last summer, and this debacle. In both cases we've got RTE lifers who've lived sheltered existences and have got to where they did thanks to connections and good agents. When the real world came crashing into both their worlds, neither handled it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Her employer have with this spin and backpedal basically told her they will do whatever they want with her and she will sit back and take it. The people who have moved on from that station are laughing their heads off at Lottie, just like the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

She's no longer a contractor (if she ever really was one). A number of sometime on-air types - like Lottie was - have been made staff in recent weeks and months, apparently.

Same money but now tax and PRSI are taken at source.

There are a good few like her who were also "contractors" until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LloytronN402

I wonder have Tracey Clifford and Jenny Greene also become staffers ?

I'd say so. They've been around quite a while and RTE is committed to cleaning up it's 'bogus contractor' act.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was there a proper public procedure to appoint these staff. There really should be that are open. To anyone to appy

They are both mid 40s, so only a matter of time before they are shifted to RTE Gold

I don't believe so. My understanding is there are quite a number of on air people across all of the RTE stations in a similar position and are being offered "take it or leave it" terms and conditions to regularise their positions.

The use of Arthur Cox solicitors in meetings (at our expense) usually softens up most of 'em.

• Advertisement

As was already mentioned, back in the crazy Celtic tiger days, Lottie's oulfella would be off-air longer than 5 weeks for his annual leave. Do you remember when he'd be talking about his family trips to Disneyland Florida and Los Angeles?

Advertisement