Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭badabing106

Gavin Newsome is nearly neck and neck oddswise with biden post debate, heck,even Michelle who said she's isn't running, is closing in on Biden

Newsome could be the new Candidate

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

One thing is for sure America is fcuked!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It was pretty bad from both of them. There's no way Biden can do another 4 years, both of just making stuff up, Biden not making much sense and Trump not actually answering questions. Seemed like a pointless debate. I did wonder was the debate on this early to see how Biden performs and if the Democrats need to swap him out, if this was Biden after a weeks prep you'd hate to see him do it on the fly. Neither of them should be running

• Registered Users Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I feel sorry for Biden but at the end of the day he just doesn't look up to it. He looks OK for a man his age under normal circumstances (I.e someone enjoying retirement) but the cognitive and physical decline is so obvious that surely his candidacy can't continue.

Dems have BIG decision to make now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Putin the clear winner, everyone else lost.

Watershed moment for the democrats and the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve watched some of the debate from last night.
    I think Biden did better than I thought he would - but sorry, if I were living in America and a voter, he wouldn’t have convinced me he was capable.

Trumps performance was surprisingly calm compared to his almost delirious deliveries and ramblings at his rallies - he actually came across reasonably well .

Both sides were economical with the truth and didn’t always answer the question asked but last night wasn’t about facts- it was about performance - I think even 5 months on when Americans go to the polls, they’ll remember this debate and that won’t be a good thing for Biden

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Biden is toast.

Has been for years.

In a country who had, and remembers Reagan's slide, Biden's invisible presidency has been given a head shot.

I see the left still refuses to see what is Infront of them. Likely they will turn this into a compassion thing and tell the Americans who have been hoodwinked for the last 4 years that JB was suffering from COVID of whatever.

Doesn't matter.

JB is done.

Whilst the Democrats are obviously not happy with Bidens performance and making excuses like “he has a cold” which just doesn’t wash and is likely false anyway, in terms of sourcing another candidate so quickly, I’m not sure how that could work out well - if someone did challenge Biden, that would just show the Democrats in disarray - a new candidate would need to be squeaky clean - not as easy as it sounds- the tabloids would be working overtime digging dirt.

But I don’t see Biden winning - the risk now is that Democrats just stay away from the polling station

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭brickster69

It may be the best thing that happened, now everyone can see reality. My concern would be who is actually running the country because it is obvious he can't be.

Dems are toast also, because they are the ones who allowed him to run and support him. They are more to blame than Joe to be fair. Who could possibly trust their judgement on anything now ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,528 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I said it 2 years ago when Trump said he would run - the Dems need to get their ass in gear - pick a nominee and put Biden out to grass - otherwise get ready for another 4 years of Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Anyone have any funny clips? I think my prediction of two clowns not making any sense came true looking at comments I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

It's not really like that from what I saw. Trump calmer and more coherent than you'd expect, but lying a fair bit and pretty whacky. Biden mostly saying the right things but just does not look fit to be president until 2029.

What's been obvious to everyone but Biden's supporters for years got laid bare, which is why all media is commenting on it now. Biden just looks like someone who'd be sitting in an armchair in the corner during a family event, whereas Trump still looks like he'd be the life of the party.

Whatever happens, the US will get the president they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be curious as to whether this gives any momentum to a VP debate? Those around Harris might push for it. Take some pressure off the head of the ticket. Particularly if Trump picks some space cadet as his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

This is a pretty savage commentary of it from MSNBC.

https://x.com/brianstelter/status/1806542745307083200

"Joe Biden had one thing he had to do tonight and he didn't do it," former senator Claire McCaskill said. "He had one thing he had to accomplish, and that was reassure America that he was up to the job at his age, and he failed at that tonight."

And that's from a Democrat former senator.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

Debate is difficult/cringe to watch; Biden's condition seems to have worsened quite a bit.

His incoherent ramblings on medicare and incest (wtf!) are just two examples.

He's lucky they have that one minute cut-off rule - when his brain stopped and the awkward silence started developing it was a relief to have the CNN anchor cut-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Those Americans who are swing voters are really between a rock and a hard place trying to choose between Biden and Trump. I do think if the Democrats had a more vibrant, dare I say it, a younger candidate than Biden they would romp home. Even though Trump is no spring chicken, it is hard to believe that there is only 3 years between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭engineerws

I'd consider both Trump and Biden war criminals but would put Biden's team in a more worse category of criminality. It seems like the decline of the US empire at this point.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/11/biden-single-term-082129

If only Biden left after one term they might have got someone capable of dealing with international affairs in Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine. Whenever the Permian starts to dry up, the USA will likely go the way if Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ElitesTeam

How could America deal with Russia with a leader like Biden. Biden cant string sentence together and looks terrible. No wonder Russia the invaded under his 4 years. If Biden wins I worry for Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Nicely summarised

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What needs to happen for Biden to be pulled as the Democrat nominee? Genuine question, who makes the first move to get the ball rolling on that? There's no way he should be running. I loathe Trump, but Trump will win if Biden runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭whitelaurel

I dislike trump immensely, but the hyperbole around him is a bit silly. He did shag all dramatic the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭whitelaurel

I’d imagine Biden himself is the best chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

Did he not say something similar in 2016 and 2020?

"I'll accept the result if I win..."

Although reprehensible and quite frightening, it's become just another one of those things Trump says that too many are numb to, so a headline in theory, but not in effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The democrats need to get their **** together Biden should have announce his retirement a year ago and the new candidate should be a household name at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If Biden had sought only one term and not worried about being reelected he could have gone hard on Israel and elsewhere and leave a real legacy.

Either way Dems and Reps looking at this should be taking a long hard look at itself.

That there is no realistic, normal third-party alternative is a shocking indictment of American politics at this stage not necessarily one that can win outright but make it uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭JVince

Debate was superb for the democrats. - Clear winners. They simply were never going to lose by taking the debate.

If Biden performed well, then that would dispel doubts about his ability to continue for another term, if he performed badly, then they simply look for the opportune time for Biden to say he wants a more relaxed tenure and will step aside.

The only person hungry for the office and with his campaign ready to go is Gavin Newsom.

Its now down to timing. Does Biden do it soon or wait until the calls get so loud that he is hounded off? I reckon within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sums up last night for both sides, Biden better have a better debate in September or Trump will walk into the White House

I just went on to 3 news websites and took their headlines about the debate - it’s all about concern for Biden.

I really don’t see him running again - some hard discussions need to happen if the Democrats are to have any chance of winning in November

BBC- “Stumbling Biden “

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/c88800k2njkt

RTÉ- Panic among Democrats

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2024/0628/1457083-biden-trump-debate-analysis/

Guardian- Calls for Biden to stand aside grow

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/c88800k2njkt

I’m afraid last night was as good as it gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yes, it almost feels selfish of Biden at this point to insist on running. How can he even believe himself that he can lead the country until almost 2029?

It is really crucial to keep Trump out, maybe he could step aside for the good of America…. he could say he still feels up to it, but he steps aside as he doesn't want his medical condition to be any excuse for Trump getting in again. It's just too important, putting the country first etc.

Advertisement