Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I wouldn’t say the entire company would be dissolved but I could see en equivalent to Iberia Express or BA Euroflyer etc being established to operate all or part of the European operations.
    IAG have a track record of doing this before.
    Brand new company, brand new contracts, no old legacy conditions hanging over like massive pensions etc, I’d imagine this would be attractive to management.

A portion of short haul flying could potentially be handed over to Vueling to maybe.
    It’s certainly not impossible, i hope though it wouldn’t come to that and a deal is struck meeting in the middle somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

By the same token, does anyone know if Level flight deck crews are Iberia pilots or are they on a separate contract completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Actually I thought I did, I copied and pasted from my mobile. Obviously didn't work. Sorry to have offended you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Paddy1234

When should we expect to hear about next weeks flights? Would it get posted on website first. Just want to make sure I’m on the ball in event of cancellation. Due to fly next Thursday and have fingers crossed. At least there can’t be a strike as less than 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭plodder

Suddenly pulling the plug would never happen. An airline is more than a brand. It's not like Waterford Glass that used to be made in Waterford, and now is made elsewhere in Europe. That said, I'd be curious to know what Willie Walsh meant with his comment about EI's performance being "weak compared to other companies in IAG". Posters here are looking at the company profits and saying the company can afford the claim. Obviously IAG see that as EI's contribution to group profits. They would be looking at ways to increase profitability, rather than reducing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You'll get an email from EI if your flight is impacted by work to rule and it'll be updated on the site https://www.aerlingus.com/support/disrupted-flights/ialpa-industrial-action/

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Qaanaaq

It won't be dissolved, but one way that other legacy airlines in Europe have dealt with the issue of legacy terms and conditions is to set up a separate AOC without them. This is clearly agreed with unions in order to preserve the mainline terms. There would be an agreement on size and scope of the separate AOC and probably a pathway for members to apply for mainline when vacancies come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

see attached chart from 2023 financials. EI operating margin slightly lower than BA but much lower than IB.

BA still had not reintroduced significant routes so unclear whether that had a negative effect on its operating margin. Realistically, EI is not competing with BA for investment for lots of reasons. However, to the extent that it is competing with IB or Vueling or Level, it’s not keeping pace at this stage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MOD POST

As I remember from my time working in the industry, "ridiculous" questions from non-aviation people are the norm.

Aviation (as with many industries) can be a mystery to those who are familiar with it. Not Helped by the media who often simplify complex arrangements to suit their word count.

This thread and the ongoing situation will attract many non-aviation posters, with non-aviation experience/knowledge. EG, "can other pilots fly the EI planes?"

Be kind, courteous and helpful.

MOD POST

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bartkingcole

Thanks for a considered response. My impression of this dispute is that it is more feisty than many and respect from both sides is lacking. I also think that Aer Lingus is not the brand it was nor does it have the same brand loyalty - 99% of this is down to management decisions. An example for me was a cancelled flight (at the gate) and compensation which was like pulling teeth (to the extent I gave up) compared to a delayed flight with Ryanair where it was processed with hours. I also think this strike has hit a nerve with many people and the same sympathy that was with people 10 years ago is not there now (maybe just my impression).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

^^^^ bartkingcole you're spot on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

From anecdotal evidence (I know) the EI process of rebooking/refunding seems unnecessarily drawn out and painful.

I don't know if it is their IT system or their 'sharp practise'. But in a situation like this, no question refunds would be a positive thing for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Their IT systems are absolutely shocking compared to the other operators.

Tier points and miles seem to take weeks and weeks to get added. Goldcircle is an absolute mess with constant complaints.

KLM - tier points within hours. Flying Blue all works well. Missed connections rebooked and an updated itinerary sent to my phone before I even landed on European short haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Yep, i have been on to customer service about missing points/miles at least half a dozen times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

List now updated out to 7th July. MY JFK has gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

Prior to Covid, EI was consistently at or near the top of IAG’s performance tables. It has been the slowest to recover largely due to the glacial speed with which Covid restrictions were relaxed in Ireland in 2021 onwards. The airline has also been critically under-resourced and has not met the available demand over the last couple of years - consider the €25M+ spent on hire-ins last summer owing to a lack of staff, among other elements of poor management. In fact, if you simply subtracted that €25M from operating costs, EI would’ve had a higher margin than BA.

Regardless, EI was successful enough in 2023 that the group saw fit to reward EI’s executives with a 155% increase in bonuses. If they were profitable enough for that, then they’re also profitable enough to maintain their employees’ spending power year-on-year. If they aren’t profitable enough to do that (a bare flippin’ minimum as far as I’m concerned) then they’ve no business considering themselves ‘successful’ and therefore no business paying such bonuses. Pick one. They can’t have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lil_gypsy

My return flight on Sunday 7th July just cancelled.Had a feeling this was gonna happen so cancelled flights last night.😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'm flying Sat 13th and the same flight is cancelled for tomorrow & next week.

I'm tempted to book a different one with Ryanair, the prices have already gone up by about 10% since this morning.

If I do book and my Aer Lingus flight goes I'll be raging at Aer Lingus and won't ever fly with them again if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiss my Axe

was that from Dublin? I’m on one to JFK July 25th from Shannon, I can’t see any trans Atlantic cancellations from there since this all began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Sorry I should have said. Yes this is the 11.05 from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lil_gypsy

Yeah,it’s seems to be a complete **** show.My outbound flight this Sunday was moved to Monday which is still going but didn’t want to risk it incase we got stuck over there.We were flying into Lyon which Ryanair don’t fly to and bad past experience with Air France so no option but to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Both sides have accepted an invitation to the labour court on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

As has been done in other industries a yellow pack verson,During the last downturn the crowd who i work for now wanted to bring new hires in on 20% less.

The people working in operations refused to let this happen as eventually the new hires will out number the older members.

And the members decided to refuse the company offer,They also pointed out the unfairness of having people doing the exact same work getting paid a different wage.

And this would lead to resentment among the older staff and new hires,I know for a fact new contracts like this exist all over the transport &logistics industries.

As this is the industry I'm currently employed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Let's hope it gets sorted but I say it's very unlikely it will

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

It wont get sorted but hopefully a step in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

I hope the unions don't over play their hand with this,they may poke the bear into unintended consequences they never envisaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

I couldn’t find it anywhere but does anyone know if IAG owned Level has pilots who are on Iberia contracts or are they separate completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

read column in Indo today re IAG using current situation for overhaul of Aer Lingus with dramatic effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

The premise of that article is that IAG are willing to write down Aer Lingus which doesn't make sense because it is a growing profitable airline. Corporations just don't think like that, especially public ones like IAG. It also presupposes that there are another group of pilots out there that are willing and able to be based out of Ireland for materially lower cost than the current group of Aer Lingus pilots. There is a global pilot shortage and they all seem to be getting pay increases so I'm not sure that stands up either. Ireland is an expensive place to live so even if you could get pilots from somewhere they would still have to be paid pretty well. Also Aer Lingus has a solid brand proposition so going down the yellow pack route does not make strategic sense because they would be eaten alive by Ryanair and EasyJet. A lot of rhetoric in this dispute but there definitely should be a middle ground that gives the pilots a pay bump and allows the company to continue growing and making a decent return for IAG.

Advertisement