Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hard to be optimistic at this point. The polls that I'm sure are running will be brutal.

Democrats are their own worst enemy. An inanimate carbon rod could beat CFTrump even before the convictions.

But, Biden delivered goodies for the Democrats so he got the nomination.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭hometruths

I guess it is OK now to say that the Dems might be considering a last minute replacement for Biden due to age and declining cognitive ability, or is that still fake news?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Still fake news. Not how it works, there are no candidates to put forward. And it's far too late imo to get a new candidate nominated and get the message out, it just plays into CFTrump's hands.

Nope, Biden's the horse they're stuck riding. Swaybacked with bad teeth and graying hair, but it it's what they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Biden won 99% of the delegates in his contest so it would certainly be a tough one to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Joe Biden is not fit for office…RIGHT NOW....

Never mind for another 4 years....

Shocking display last night from Biden..belongs in a nursing home with his feet up...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Biden's ability to do the job of US president for four more years is certainly looking like a tough one to sell to voters right now.

Therein lies the problem and the decision to be made: the Dems could admit they were wrong in nominating him, change their mind and win the election or they could refuse to admit they were wrong, carrying on pretending there is no problem, they chose the strongest candidate and risk losing the election.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭whitelaurel

it isn’t a risk. Bookmakers think Biden has no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nearly every commentator who would have been favourably disposed towards Biden agrees the debate was an absolute disaster for him.

Must say he has seriously turned me off this year with his relentless support for Israel and Netanyahu and failing to support the people of Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fair point. From what I understand it would have to be Biden's decision to step aside. He might convince himself having beaten Trump in the past, he is the one to do so again. Imagine difficult conversations will be taking place over the next few days. As you say, will be interesting to see how it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You realise bookmakers decide the odds this far out based on bets placed rather than actual probability right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Newsom 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What Biden should do is concoct a reason for him to step down as president before the convention. Allow Harris come in as president for the rest of his term, but not have her run for election (on The Rest is Politics US edition they suggested that if she was promised a supreme court seat when one arises that would keep her away).

Then with Biden out of the way, have a quick decision as to who the best replacement candidate is, and put absolutely everything behind that person to sail through a brokered convention and then onto debating Trump in September.

That way Biden is not the candidate that will, based on last night at least, lose to Trump. And with him not as president, he can't be held up as some sort of lame duck who is not healthy enough to run but thinks he can still be president for ~6 months.

Won't happen, but would be good to see…

It may be too late in your opinion, but that doesn't make it fake news.

you think bookmakers odds are solely based on bets placed lol. They have traders. Don’t speak about something you haven’t a clue about. Biden was evens yesterday , 4/1 today. You think that much money was put on trump on PP in a few hours? They make judgement calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This kept coming up during the EU elections here. People simply don't bet much money on politics. So small amounts bet can swing the odds quite widely.

The horse that has lowest odds in a race isn't the horse the bookies thinks will win. It's the horse most people have bet on. Odds are there to cover the bookies no matter the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have just finished watching the debate and it is painful viewing. I dont see how any swing voters watching that would come out voting for Biden. Best case scenario is they stay at home.

Unless Biden himself bows out - which I doubt - Trump will win. I hate saying that.

But…if pressure comes on him over the next few days from his family, Pelosi, Schumer, Harris etc then maybe he might consider it. He might. Still plenty of time before the convention for some to rise to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭JVince

It is how it works.

At present, the delegates are obliged to give the vote to Biden as he won the various primaries.

But is Biden decides not to run, they are absolved of the obligation and then each state has a free vote for whatever candidates are on the ticket at the nomination convention

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

I thought we were past these arguments.

I have no idea, you may be a new poster. In multiple multiple elections the bookies have been shown to be "wrong". They follow the money and win either way.

It's difficult to see how Biden can go forward as the candidate. In the history of televised Presidential debates (they started in 1960 I think), we've never seen a candidate so far off the pace and struggling even to make a coherent sentence - he was really 'that' bad and this was not even a a one off.

And it appears that moves are already afoot:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That was a disaster for Biden.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

"Dems might be considering a last minute replacement for Biden"

"Fake news"

"CNN reporting that senior Democrats are for the first time considering going public in calling for President Biden to step aside after “dismal” debate performance."

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Watching CNN etc. suddenly talking about what they've been attacking others for talking about is absolutely surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The Democrats must be thinking about rolling the dice with another candidate as There are enough votes out there to stop Trump with anyone but Joe .Plenty of blue states and there should be enough middle ground voters to come out and vote for an alternative to Trump .It's quite incredible that they have allowed this situation arise .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

bookies follow betfair. fortunes betting against biden on betfair (from punters). PP wont have huge liabilities on this at all.

In fairness, people did anticipate that Biden might be below par in the debate, but I'm not sure anyone was expecting a total car crash. It's not that he had a bad debate - it was worse than that (looked like he was no longer with it…..a frail old man).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have little to no sympathy for the Dems as it's been obvious for years that Biden was not fit (let alone popular enough) for another term, but they persisted with the uncontested re-election bid anyway. They've earned this humiliation.

But their absolutely best option now is to cut him loose immediately (ideally get him to do to it himself to save face), get another candidate locked down ASAP, and then spend the rest of the campaign trying to recover. Four months is a long time in an election campaign, and the conversation would be entirely different if there was another candidate at the debate podium in Sept / Oct.

There's a very good chance they've handed the win to Trump regardless of what happens next. But Trump is wildly unpopular, and his debate performances are terrible and insane in an entirely different way. If the Dems have another candidate they have a chance - who knows how big or small! - of taking advantage of that. With Biden, it's game over. I despair a second Trump presidency (even on a tangible international scale rather than domestic, the US Israel-Palestine policy is already horrifying and it'll be worse under Trump), but nor do the Dems deserve success with their disastrous strategy of putting Biden up again. What a shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

That debate was hugely enlightening. Trump was disciplined and sharp. Biden was shocking. The gaffes and ramblings. Even the Irish media can't call the debate anything other than a crushing defeat for Biden. Yet they tried first thing this morning until they realised the Guardian,CNN and even the NY Times couldn't put a gloss on it. It's Trumps to lose now and they can get the Trump bunting up early in West Clare.

No time for a new nominee. Kamala Harris is so unlikeable she knows herself she can't run. Gavin Newsom could give it a good run but the leftwing of the democrates will not be able to stomach him.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

This is very true. At one stage on election night in 2020 PaddyPower had Biden out to 5/1 to win. I laid my money on that.

Trump too was 5/1 just after securing the nomination in 2016.

• Advertisement

There's definitely time for a new nominee. If they go forward with Biden, they are almost certain to lose.

Advertisement