Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't doubt it is being talked about, but exactly how you do it is far from straightforward. People ain't gonna be too happy about the primaries being completely ignored either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

They need someone electrifying, and I don't necessarily mean The Rock, although if he did swoop in and get handed the nomination, I couldn't say it was totally out of step with the general insanity of American politics.

Michelle Obama? She definitely seems popular with the base, but she's never shown a real interest in becoming a politician. Parachuting her in now would smack of artificiality and desperation. Bernie Sanders, although even older than Biden, doesn't 'present' as old in the same way. He would certainly G up the more left leaning section of the base but perhaps also turn off the centre or centre right contingent.

Unfortunately, after Obama, Sanders, maybe AOC and a small clutch of potential surprise celebrity candidates, it's just a few sort of generic 'steady' options, one of who would invariably get the nod if Biden did bow out, and the best result would be that fascism was held at bay for four more years, but the MAGA crowd would just try again.

Who have the Democrats got or who could they get who would actually push back on MAGA instead of just desperately trying to hold the gates closed?

but the MAGA crowd would just try again.

MAGA will splinter and devour itself once Trump is not there to lead it and I doubt he'll be capable of much of anything in 4 years time. I think "holding them off" this time could be a relatively long term win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Biden withdraws for personal reasons (unspecified but new; being close to his son could apply for example or new condition and his doctor recommending him not to run etc.) and they elect his replacement at the convention. The problem is there's not really a good choice to replace him as noted by @briany.

I wouldn't be making too many predictions about what will or won't happen with MAGA at this point. How long have people been predicting that Trump would keel over from a massive McDonald's and Coca Cola induced coronary event, but he's still flying around doing rallies?

• Advertisement

It's not really the same thing. MAGA has no guiding principles, it's why everyone who tried to compete with Trump failed. It is a movement focused entirely on the whims of one man and whose priorities and even core beliefs change with his. I don't know when he'll shuffle of his mortal coil, but the movement will have no semblance of coherency without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Biden is finished.

His family need to get him to announce that he's no longer seeking the nomination. That is both for the good of the country and his legacy.

I have no idea how the convention would work. I think Biden would need to release his delegates and then it would either be a free for all or a stitch up to find a new candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

biden has a deathly pallor. Even if I was a dem I wouldn’t vote for him since it seems cruel and unusual to force this dude around the circuit for another 4 years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So lying in response to every question is how you win a debate now?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Absolutely no chance Biden isn't the nominee. That would basically hand Trump the win, regardless of who they'd pick.

They'll weekend at bernie's him if needed.

• Advertisement

I mean, yes? Trump obviously takes it to an absurd level, but its not a completely new phenomenon.

Debates are a pretty terrible way of judging the actual competency of candidates to govern and they are rarely illuminating but we seem stuck with them.

Because MAGA is a cult of personality, I have to think that Trump would remain leader even in death. A bit like Kim Il Sung in North Korea.

Yes, the movement would need a custodian, and if I had to guess, I would say it would be another family member because they're the closest to the Trump brand.

Greene et al wouldn't get a look in because they have no personality or charisma . They just have monotone shrillness.

The people behind Trump, eg Miller and Bannon have to recognise that they're never gonna have a better instrument than MAGA to take over the country, so they would very much move to quash in fighting as much as they could in the event of Trump expiring.

Post edited by briany on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think Biden team pushed for this early debate to bring the issue of his decline front and centre at a time that will allow a replacement.

Biden would either sink or swim. We saw what happened last night so surely its only days till he withdraws

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

There was a moment early in the debate where Biden messed up the end of a sentence and Trump said "I don't know what he just said, and to be honest, he probably doesn't know himself either". I thought that was absolutely devastating because (1) it made Trump look far more astute than he actually is, (2) that is something the Democrat should be attacking Trump with, (3) I was thinking the exact same thing before Trump said it, and as someone who utterly despises Trump, I won't like agreeing with him.

The only silver lining is that the focus groups with independent swing state voters on both CNN and MSNBC were still 50/50 after the debate, so perhaps people are willing to overlook's Biden's terrible performance because the grievances they have with Trump are greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I don't really follow American politics but it's election year so I keep in touch. Would changing a candidate so close to the election not be seen as desperation and put people off voting for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

'MAGA' had the whitehouse for 4 years, and the world didnt burn down.

in fact it was probably more peaceful with more people living in prosperity.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

I think the point being missed is that whilst team Biden continually crow about the REP lying etc, the biggest con job so far is that Biden is fit for office and and a working, functional and present POTUS.

Despite it being obviously not the case for years, surely the American public can now see this presidency for the sham it is?

Biden is nothing more than a shop window manakin. The US is being run by committee.

It's quite astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Biden did a horrific job and his most fanatical and biased supporters like Van Jones etc etc described it as such.

I know that the mods do not want us to point out what is wrong with Joe, as if we have never seen similar within our own families and neighbours.

Having a sitting president agree to summer debates before a convention was highly bizarre and of no benefit, unless you knew your guy was mentally unfit for a campaign and you wanted him out before a convention.

They hung Joe out to dry last night, maybe he was refusing to step down so he had to be.

Kamala Harris is not able to run a winning campaign. Gavin Newsom, smooth but California has become a real shi7hole under his tenure and the Dems will carry California either way.

Who replaces Joe?

Only because people in positions of power within the US government prioritised their fealty to the US constitution and the law rather than a loyalty to Trump himself and weren't about to let him do anything he wanted.

Trump took office after eight years of economic reconstruction under Obama, relaxed some business legislation and then took sole credit for the good economy. You can't say that's not something Trump would do, can you?

Trump's great chance to lead the country through a crisis in the pandemic led to fighting with his own medical advisors and being unable to keep some simple messaging about basic hygiene to stop the spread because he was afraid of alienating his 'don't tread on me' supporters. He failed, but was sure to blame absolutely everyone else.

Aside from the obvious desire to be a 'strongman' leader like Putin, where democracy is hollowed out, he's also the complete definition of a fair weather captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bernie did well in near all white middle class New England, when the primaries were in more working class and or Black or Hispanic States.

His campaign ground to a complete halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes but desperate time call for desperate measures. I believe that Biden now has zero chance of winning. On the very first page of this thread I stated that I backed Biden to win at a decent price in 2022. I cashed that bet in this morning when I saw the clips of that debate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd argue that Trump claiming that Blue states are killing newborn babies is a bigger lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would go to the convention, where Biden's delegates would be free to vote for whomever they wanted. Be like the episode of the West Wing in the last season. Honestly could be the energy the Party needs to get people engaged.

Harris won't get, she sucks. Probably Newsome or Whitmer would be the leading contenders. Cooper could be an outside bet, but his national profile is non-existent. Obama would be exciting, but I doubt she'd want to or that other factions would be keen on her, plus it would be a return to the quasi hereditary bs we've endured for the last 3 decades with Bushs and Clintons.

I know how it would work, I'm just saying that there is no guarantee that the millions of people who voted in the primaries will be happy to have an alternative foisted upon them that they had no say over. It would seriously undercut the legitimacy of anyone selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think the primaries are massively overrated tbh. The country managed happily before they were implemented. Folks might be aggrieved but that would be out weighed by enthusiasm for a more vibrant candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Democrats only have themselves to blame, the writing was on the wall a long time ago for Biden, but he continued on anyway and so did his backers, now we are where we are.

Democrats are pretty much damned if they do, damned if they don't now, replacing him seems obvious now but is very unlikely to work out at such short notice and persisting with him is pretty much handing it to Trump now.

Its a mess of their making.

I think they're an incredibly stupid way of picking the candidate, but I'm not the one voting! They are now an inherent part of the American political process and they can be quite tetchy about seeming to subvert that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I wonder how Trump is feeling about last night because there's every chance this is the case and he fell for the Democrats trap. Even the traditional democrat media were unusually strong in the criticism for Biden, it feels a bit orchestrated like they're all ready to push him overboard.

Advertisement