Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

those are the people who always vote anyway.

No way they would have voted for Trump instead or spoiled their vote or not voted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

"If Joe Biden is no longer the nominee" is the issue though.

My understanding is that he would need to stand down, there is no realistic process to remove him, and I don't see Joe standing down of his own will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭yagan

It's a gerontocracy. Bush jr, Clinton and Obama all did two terms and they are all younger than Trump and Biden.

I fear for what our gerontocracy phase may look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Democratic candidate odds before the debate and after…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It looks like a step too far for Biden, watching to see how the DNC react now.

If it is Newsom, expect some manufactured "surprise" at some point from the trump campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If that turns out to be the case, it'll drive Trump mad. Not only having to campaign/ debate against a woman, but a black woman and an Obama to boot! All his touchpoints.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While precedent and decourm does always kick in in the end (in the modern era at least), it's always worth remembering the rules for the nominating convention and 'delegates' process for formally selecting a US presidential candidate are obscure gibberish and - theoretically - vulnerable to being completely tossed aside.

The electoral college is one thing - bizarre nonsense in many ways. But the actual party selection conventions are surreal affairs in their own right, and the rules are fragile and vague enough that it could certainly collapse into anarchy if circumstances and momentum dictated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Augme

Why would he need to step down as President? All he would need to do is saying he isnt willing to committ another four years of his life to being the President so he is withdrawing from the Presidential nimination and then he just sees out his current term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's like we are witnessing the fall of an empire. The very fact that the two of these are the "best" America can put forward is a disgrace. In saying that my criticism of both are completely different. Biden is clearly not up to it but is a different kettle of fish from that incompetent piece of human excrement he's running against.

It's actually depressing. Whilst we are told it'll have little impact on the rest of us, I am terrified what another Trump term will do to geopolitics around the world. What becomes of Ukraine? If Ukraine falls what next? Especially since Trump is vocally anti nato and had made some outlandish comments.

It's a depressing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I can't see him doing that either. He should, but I don't think he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think the whole world has been watching this slow motion car crash now for some time - I don’t think any one person or group of people had the power to stop it happening though - it takes a lot of money and time to build up a presidential candidate - it’s no easy task

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭combat14

ladbrokes

trump 4/7 to win

biden 4/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Agree, but I just cannot understand that the democrats had 4 years to put forward a new candidate. Ageism aside it's just not sound to putt all your eggs in an 81 year old man. He was the right man to beat Trump in 2020, but they should have started to build a new candidate on Thursday 5th of November 2020. Even if they didn't need to use him/her, they had a break glass in case of emergency. It's clear to all that Biden has been fading badly over the last few years and is moving and acting every bit his age.

The issue is now, they have lost control of the narrative to a scumbag criminal. If Biden wins it's highly unlikely he can serve another 4 years which means the narrative will be that a vote for Biden is a vote for Harris as president. So why not just pull the cord and pick a new candidate. It wouldn't take much to beat Trump so a new candidate could actually win.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I just read that Bill Clinton won in 1992 and he's younger than Biden and Trump.

Yeah with you on that - I guess the one person who could persuade Biden not to run again and just see out this term, is his wife. She’ll be critical but by some accounts at least, she seems to relish the First Lady status so she’ll have to get over losing that first, before she can bring her mind around to persuading Joe not to run again.

As for agism, again I agree - this has nothing to do with age but as we’ve seen with pretty much all past US presidents, the office ages you quite considerably - it is certainly a “young persons” game - you need to be mentally tough but also physically tough to endure the rigours of this office and for the American people to have a strong leader whether it’s Republican or Democrat - I know a 90 year old who I’d place well ahead of Biden in terms of both mental and physical agility- but I wouldn’t recommend him for office either. I don’t like Trump but he certainly presents fitter but his ramblings do give cause for concern -but again, I think there a better stronger and more capable leaders out there who have the right energy - and yes younger too. Leaders throughout the western world are a lot younger these days - a country leader role today demands a lot more of the person than it did 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

Would they be able to get a candidate who is willing to step into this mess?

It might be a bit of a poisoned chalice now.

Potential candidates might be looking at 2028 as a better prospect.

Michelle Obamas name in some news reports on TV when presenters are talking with the reporters - I’d be very surprised though if that came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it would be an incredible opportunity. Economy doing great (for wall st). A absolute loon for an opponent, tied up in court cases. They could ride high on Biden's successes without being tied to his failures.

Dirt! Thats the biggest fear I’d say of picking a new candidate at short notice - you don’t know what the tabloids will uncover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The tabloids don't uncover much.

The team of professionals that the other side hire ,do.

• Advertisement

either way it’s job done- a sexually harassed intern from 20 years ago, a lover spurned, a secret money deal - if a public representative has enemies looking to get even, it may not even take a paid team to find them - they might just walk up to a TV studio and start talking, having negotiated their rate via their lawyer in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A few tweets:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If it's Newsom, expect it to be a party in the Republican party only slightly less than if it's Harris. Someone above suggested Whitmer, there is sense behind that as a Democrat leader in a swing state. See also Beshear, Kelly and Hobbs. The most electable democrats nationally don't seem to be getting much mass media attention: Obviously Democrats want to lean towards 'standard bearers', and Newsom's about the top of the list.

Realistically, though, I think they'll stay with Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yis can't say I didn't tell yis all this years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Old farts the pair of them.

Hilarious seeing the left and right backing "their man".

Glazers Out!

Don’t you have a judge to disparage or something 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 19,611 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Have a press conference organised for that later.

boards.ie is where I connect with the real people. And also get all the ladies sending me nude PMs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

This is really the trump Vs Kamala Harris election. Harris's last chance to become president on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Biden is only a year younger than the combined age of our last two Taoiseach.

It's crazy to think that in a climate where world leaders are getting younger (open to debate if its a good thing) that the superpower seem to adhere to the 'male, pale and stale' stereotype.

Can't believe Biden is a US president though in his current state. Have seen ould lads like that throughout my life on their final lap.

• Advertisement

Advertisement