Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day- Thurs 27th June 2024 Marlay Park Dublin

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also..it's a semi circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

...trying to edit pos..t

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Well I thought it was a great show last night

Had Dookie as a teenager, didn't really get into the later stuff until 2 years ago when I heard them from outside Marlay Park on the Grange Road - sounded fantastic even from over the wall! and I said if they ever came back I would be there and I bought American Idiot then.

It was handy to get a preview when their set was on TV from the Isle of Wight last weekend - knew what we would be in for - it was just very different from Pearl Jam - I enjoyed them both in their different ways

Being in Gold circle essential I reckon - we were 1/3 the way back from the barrier - it was busy but some room - felt like less people outside in the arena in total compared to Pearl Jam but maybe that was just a timing thing and people arriving later

Sound was excellent where we were - voice sounds great, can't take that for granted in these bands 30+ years on - was great to hear the "deep cuts" as a first timer don't even know which ones these are! but songs like "Pulling Teeth" and some of the more "album" tracks off Dookie, delighted to be able to hear those - the ones that got ingrained in the psyche during the angsty teenage years listening on tape back in the day!

Good that the food concessions etc stay open after, hung back a bit, grabbed some chips, avoided the worst of the crowds - the merch was still open but didn't join the queue as babysitter at home waiting and could've been another half an hour

they should probably have separate entrance and exit for gents toilets, might make crowd flow bit better around there

Know Your Enemy probably the highlight for me - great to have all these gigs on at the moment 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Hearing the deep cuts from Dookie was the highlight for me too. Having listened to the album on repeat back in 3rd year school and only really hearing Welcome to Paradise/Basket Case/When I come Around live since SFX 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

That's exactly why we left early too. Gig was great but organisation at the venue so was so poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭muzakfan

It was the nature of the set list tbh. "Whatsername" isn't a natural track to have at the back end of or even in a set list but played in its album sequential order.

Also not a fan of anything they've done post 21st Century Breakdown but they're plugging the new album too so squeezing in another new album track towards the end did kill it a little too.

Funny thing is as a live band, Green Day are at their absolute peak right now. But they passed their songwriting peak about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

I actually really liked the songs off the new Saviors album and thought they sounded great live. Comfortably their best album since American Idiot IMO

I'm hoping next up is a greatest hits album and associated tour. Probably about 50 tracks. Be quite a live show. 😂

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Nimrod & Insomniac getting the same treatment as Dookie & American Idiot on this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Couldn't disagree more. This is the first tour in more than 20 years (literally) that they haven't arsed around with a 10 min rendition of king for a day, shout, and various other cover songs. THAT was gimmicky. Last night was literally the opposite. 37 odd song setlis, two iconic albums front to back, minimal breaks between songs, 2 and a half hours in total, and they're in their 50s. Was **** class, my 18th time seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Yeah the crowd was really dull in parts. I went HARD during American Dream and people were looking at it as if jumping up and down and screaming the lyrics was inappropriate behaviour.

I was disappointed at the number of people who didn't seem to know the Dookie songs bar Basket Case and WICA. Hearing them play a song like Sassafras Roots was just phenomenal. I was at the Dookie album show in Brixton that time but it's just as amazing to hear it at a big outdoor show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant gig and can't believe how fast it went. Lots of room in the Golden Circle and I like how they moved some of the merch and food stalls outside of the main Arena. Really enjoyed Nothing but thieves. The Green Day setlist was great and couldn't get any better. Really enjoyed the American Idiot segment, the Dookie segment had its moments but petered out a bit after the 'big songs'. 'Minority' , 'Brainstew' and 'Letterbomb' sounded great as did 'When I Come Around' Billie must of had a mountain of make-up on as he looked like a teenager

The weather was frustrating but at least it didn't piss down. Hopefully they return soon and maybe do the 3Arena

Actually agree about the 3 Arena or at least a smaller venue. Hell even raise the ticket prices or make them largely available through fan club only or something.

It's starting to ruin an awful lot of gigs when the crowd is largely made up of gawkers and hangers on who just stand around like dry arses or are more interested in making their way to/from the bar all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,399 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah Wembley got some 'extra props'

We only got the American Idiot balloon, damn MCDs cheapskate ways

Crowd/atmosphere looked so much better in London too. Think I might try get tickets for there next time and make a weekend of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Wonder whether Denise has recovered from her duet with Billy 😀

Advertisement