Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Shouldn't all Presidents be judged on their ability to do the job, not their appearance when doing so? (Think FDR and attempting to hide his illness during his term)

I'm massively on the opposite side as Biden when it comes to the conflict in Gaza he's never again feted in Ireland as a consequence of this. But he has been unquestionably an excellent President FOR the US.

We've now almost a complete 4 year term for both Biden and Trump to compare with and there's no comparison as to the suitability for office between them both. Zero.

And that's leaving aside the criminal acts, charges, trials, and convictions that Trump has to his name. Not to mention that while Biden is clearly old and showing it, show too is Trump. Neither of them should be in the race, but as both of them are, there's only one clear winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Campaigning is hard work and tiring, Biden will not be as cogent or capable as last night in the later debates after gruelling months on the road.

Last night was awful and it was wrong to put him up there, though as I said earlier on the page. Unless it was to flush him out because he would not quit.

Problem is, given his mental faculties, he will not realize that or understand.

If he is pulled in the convention how will they stop him from walking on stage as Gavin Newsom is picked and Joe calling him his new VP.

An entirely predictable mess.

If Biden is running in November he will lose and may well be the first candidate in living memory who would be unable to answer questions or take part in a debate due to such profound decline.

The concern for the Democrats is that he will tank those running for Congress and Senate as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'd say the cabinet is busy now considering invoking the 25th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

He's a poor Palestinian lol

Which they may well have to but having to sink your nominee because of mental incapacity and backing him last week is going to be a unique mess as well.

It was obvious years ago the pace of his decline. The Democrats made the awful mistake of believing their own BS and kept sticking with Biden because Project 2025, Chemtrails, etc.

At least he was solid on support for Israel, whatever else is gone in Joe his sense of right and wrong remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yes, Presidential nominees should be judged on their ability to do the job, but let's be honest here, the Yanks are pretty thick when it comes to politics and TV appearances have been guiding people's choices since Kennedy.

When it comes to these two, neither candidate would be anywhere near my own particular political views and the Israeli albatross around Biden's neck has done a lot to damage him over the last 9 months. But in a two horse race, you have to opt for one of them and Biden, despite his numerous shortcomings, is still the most sensible choice over Trump…

for what should be obvious reasons to anyone who's been paying attention to US politics for the past 8 years.

Joe Biden unfortunately thinks Joe Biden is the man he is running against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Biden should be hammering Trump, he has so much material to sling at him, but obviously he has reached the point in his life where he needs to hang up his boots and retire. He is not up to it. Embarrassingly so.

If Biden remains in the race, Trump will get in by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bookmakers are rarely wrong. Biden is well past his sell by date. Trump will have a field day with him as the opponent.

How did the US end up with these two? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly. Biden has been struggling for a few years now. His mental faculties are not where they should be. He's making it easy for the other lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭political analyst

Surely, given that the US is renowned for having continuity-of-government plans during the Cold War, the Democrats must have a contingency plan for what to do if Biden becomes medically unfit to see-out this term, never mind run for a second one, right?!

If Biden either resigned or was removed from office by the 25th Amendment and Kamala Harris replaced him, it wouldn't be any worse for the Democrats. I'm sure that Kamala has learned from Hillary's mistakes, i.e. the 'deplorables' gaffe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I thought Biden's decline was fairly evident when he was on his State visit to Ireland last April, but the further decline in his health since then is really shocking.

He has been hidden away a lot in recent months with his public appearances being limited. I think a lot of US voters who tuned in last night and who don't follow daily political events will be shocked by the decline in his health, even since the start of the year.

It begs the question will he actually be in any way fit to take office in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It'll be interesting to see if prominent Democrats break ranks over this. It feels like a now or never moment to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

They are frequently wrong.

This came up 8 years ago, 4 years ago and a few weeks ago.

Biden may or may not win but this annoying argument keeps coming up no matter how often they are wrong. It isn't sport, serious betters don't use bookies for elections they use stocks. Bookies have been wrong again and again about elections because they are not trying to be right and yet somehow people maintain a level of faith in the bookies to put the most religious to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An even more important question is what condition will he be in by January 2029 (if he's even still alive). Hard to see how anyone can justify giving a four year term to a frail old man who is declining.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The damage will be accessed over the coming week or so.

If the polls dip for democrats running down ballot the mood music will change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's a fair point. A lot of people wouldn't be confident with the prospect of Kamala Harris becoming President in the next term should Joe Biden decide to vacate the position. There is a serious chance that she will be President if Biden is re-elected.

Although I'm growing increasingly concerned that he doesn't have any intention of vacating the position willingly. It's just very sad.

• Advertisement

If he was not running again. The question would be who is currently in charge as he is obviously not capable now of living unassisted. Nevermind the most powerful job on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Surprised that they didn't try get out of leaving biden debate. Better to keep mouth shut and let them think your cognitively Impaired rather then open it and confirm. Both old men but 1 came across a lot older last night. Hard to watch and not fair on biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I think he came across as old and weak.

Trump will beat him unfortunately now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not like it could be any worse if she became President tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well it could, if there's another Democrat out there with better chance of winning the Presidential election.

If Harris becomes President now, effectively she'd by default also be the candidate for the election.

I can't see a situation where Harris is President and then isn't the candidate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭hometruths

Who do you think is the best Democrat candidate for President - is it Biden or somebody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't know the other candidates that well to comment in detail. I think if there was an obvious keen quality candidate Biden might not have run this time out. Seems like the other candidates that are mentioned in the media either have flaws or maybe reluctant to put themselves through the Presidential goldfish bowl just yet. But this might force their hand.

Up until the debate I thought they were better off sticking with Biden as a known quantity versus Trump. Like an aging quarterback, he might still get it done.

Normally conventions are boring, pre-ordained affairs. If Biden does step aside before the Democratic convention, and free up the delegates - it could make for dramatic TV and news coverage, and give whoever is selected a huge launch pad. Maybe more so than the long drawn out primaries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I think the die is cast on the second debate now, Biden can't withdraw from it after committing to doing the two. Withdrawing from it now would be seen as the ultimate capitulation. A performance like last night will be a lot more damaging so close to the election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement