Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I went swimming today and there was five of us in the sea. Normally at this time of the year the place would be packed but it’s too cold and too windy for sitting on a beach.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's disappointing about the tree, it's a good thing you checked it and didn't just put the box away with the rest of the decorations!

Add me to the 'baffled by the weather' brigade. Feckin' baltic out. 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I made the mistake of walking the dogs in shorts yesterday before I went to yoga. Even with a heavy jumper it did nothing. I'm lucky they move quickly because I'd have been frozen.

I'm not a fan of the heatwaves we've had the last few summers but this is shocking. I haven't had the heating on since April but I've been tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just looked at the calendar and I noticed it's the 20th in six months the fresh turkeys will be arriving in the supermarkets.(I think it's time to go to sleep.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am on the case today to book somewhere for a Christmas dinner. There is a goldilocks zone off not being too early that they will not take a booking, and being too late that all the bookings are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have started seeing adverts for corporate bookings for christmas already in hotels & suchlike. Must be close to that sweet spot so.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭BK5

Best of luck.

Because of various reasons we haven't even looked at venues for this years staff party, we've never left it this late and it might be a real struggle to organise something good at this stage.

I'd say that depends on the numbers. Ours is uaually for c.50 people & we always book it in September or so. Bigger numbers though & I agree, you probably have to look at booking earlier.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have already decided that if I am still working where I am now at Christmas, I won't be going to the Christmas party. SO I'll have to have a Christmas day out of my own 😁

Today is summer solstice/longest day of the year and while it’s a nice enough day it’s pretty cr@p that we are now entering the back end of the summer and yet we are still waiting for it to begin.

• Advertisement

Ours is for 100 to 150 so need something nailed down by now. One thing I've learned by being on the Social Committee is you cannot please everyone!

Yeah heard that because it's a leap year, today is the solstice this year. I'm 51 and a half today 😃

This day 6 months is my favourite day of the year…. the eve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Haven't posted in a while but been popping in pretty much daily to see what's going on. Hope everyone is having a great summer so far! as DvB said above, 6 months until the best day of the year for me also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Been laying low for a bit due to work & life being mental! Kids finished school tomorrow & we're off on our hols next week so a rest is in sight, TG!

A great weekend to be from the Wee County 😍🔴⚪️ Have to decide now whether to prioritise being ready for our holidays or day-tripping to Croke Park on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Bring it on! The months will start speeding up soon enough. From September it's just a blur! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm not sure how they can go any quicker than the last six months, but I know they always do. How are we nearly at the end of June already?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I remember saying to my mother in September that Christmas was only 16 weeks ago. The only problem is that I said that to her in September 2014, not 2023. I don't know where the years are going.

• Advertisement

Halfway People!! Halfway! 😮😮😄😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

As Jon Bon Jovi would say oooooh we’re halfway there!!! Oooooh oh!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How quick have the last 6 months gone? Terrifyingly quick.

Is it my imagination or has this been the worse summer ever?

Yes, 100%. Sick to the back teeth of continuous cloud.

At least when I see Christmas stickers left on windows or lights left on the gutters or any other outside decorations I can now say "ah sure you might as well leave them up now" 😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 30,490 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Good to know!

Almost a winters day yesterday , someone told me the wind changed to north easterly. Need a Summer to start kicking in.

More good news - another funeral to go to today, an uncle of mine. That's six funerals in the last 8 months, it's definitely the age I'm at where the generation above me is starting to slip away.

On a brighter note our youngest is 22 tomorrow, now that makes you feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

It's been a rough year for you @BK5 :( Take care of yourself

Was definitely a winters day yesterday & very dark yesterday evening! Holding out for next week & hopefully some sunshine in France!

• Advertisement

Thank you very much, have you been looking up what the weather forecasts for where you're going in France?

Advertisement