Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Your great with these little facts every now and again. I remember that spell of weather well. A hot week followed by a massive thunderstorm to rival the great storm of July 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's the hope that kill you......... why do we do it to ourselves every year, convincing ourselves that we are going to get a lovely summer😉

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think people need to rediscover their childhood perception of summer. We all remember the long summers off school and the dread of them ending. Do any of us remember going into the school and saying "well that summer was a write off weather wise, I didn't do a thing". Of course not. It never mattered. It was just weather. We rarely looked at the forecasts. How come? Because we went out no matter what the weather and made the absolute most of it. We adapted. And you know what, dry weather was essentially superb weather. Even when it rained, we knew where to find shelter or knew what other options were on - and I remember swimming, playing sports, exploring and fishing in the rain and it was fun. I still get a kick out of swimming in the sea on a rainy day in August. The water is warm and I am face down looking at the wonderful colours and sea life anyway. I am still a child at heart and I am still doing childhood hobbies. The weather apps actually make it easier to plan. Embrace your childhood and enjoy the light!

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Billcarson

How do think I feel? Hoping for a white Christmas every year. 🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭appledrop

😂 you must have had the best ever Christmas in 2010, I'll never forget it -15 degrees trying to de ice the car before driving home after visiting the relatives on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Christmas eve and Christmas day 2010 my most favourite days of weather ever. Its all been downhill since 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

They're up with my favourite days of weather too but some others that come to mind:

8th January 2010 - crisp sunny day with plenty of lying snow. Not a large amount but a fine amount to give a wintry landscape. Misty morning too adding to the atmosphere with a severe frost bringing the coldest conditions in Ireland since 1979 at the time.

30th June 2015 - just a lovely fine late June day of unbroken sunshine, also the warmest day of the entire year. However, what makes it stand out was the strange lenticular clouds that put Dublin on the map from this day. Even the wiki's page on lenticular clouds has Dublin's mothership of a lenticular cloud from this day as the first image you come across on it. Dublin gets a fair amount of lenticular clouds due to the prevalent southwesterly wind and the Wicklow Mountains topography but we've probably not seen anything as spectacular as this day.

28th February 2018 - of course the first day of the Beast from the East. The first day of snow lying all day long in Dublin since 2010, long overdue. Was super excited from the red warning leading to school closure (though wish they issued it sooner as I slept overnight 27th missing that fantastic snowfall that was basically a blizzard).

28th June 2018 - equal sunniest day ever recorded. Malin Head 16.5 hrs of sun and Ballypatrick Forest 17.1 hrs of sun, basically the upper end of what's possible in Ireland. Very low humidity (20-40% in places), unbroken sunshine and high 20s, low 30s. The cream of the crop when it comes to summer days in my opinion.

I have plenty of favourites for personal reasons but they're some I've noted for something noteworthy or quirky that made them memorable. We may not have the most exciting or greatest climate but that makes certain periods stand out a lot more that I can never stop reminiscing over. The consistent wet weather since last July up until April was getting very tedious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

I have to beg to differ with you there, Cluedo. You are probably right about the over 40's, as some decades ago kids had a lot less entitlement than they do today and you're right that they enjoyed just being off school and the freedom. I was the same myself, weather didn't really bother me as a teenager.

But today's generation are different. As an English teacher, the first thing I do with a new class every autumn is assign a written piece to gauge their standards. And for the craic, a topic I assign is, "An Irish summer" No exaggeration to say that from the majority I get a massive whinge fest about constant rain, cold, not being able to wear shorts, being frozen at their matches and concerts etc. etc. etc. They really do go on about it. Today's teenagers mostly get what we didn't get at their age, a foreign summer holiday. Therefore they're well able to compare our bad summers with more normal summers abroad and they ain't impressed it seems. It's entitlement, like I say, and I don't say that in a bad way because I love being around young people, but expectations sure have changed over the years and today's bunch are not so easily pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have strong memories of several summer holidays in the late eighties and early nineties being mired in mist and rain in west Kerry. And I wasn’t happy about it then either. I read a lot of books though.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Swimming in rain in august is grand but we’re at the end of June and we haven’t had more than three days of consistent sunshine, and the long term weather forecast for July shows clouds, cold breeze and spells of rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

26 degrees in Helsinki today. Think we’ve got the coldest temperature in Europe today at 16 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm 42 and hated the weather in Ireland when I was a kid too probably because my folks spoiled me by taking me on sunny holidays a few times. Any time we went in Ireland it was usually absolutely miserable and we'd often be confined inside.

I do remember in 1990 when Germany won the world cup we were on hols in Bearna, Galway, and it was absolutely roasting for 2 weeks. Swimming in Salthill etc.

I thought last Saturday, Sunday and Monday were warm and sunny in Galway. Or was it Saturday-Tuesday? I was sea swimming twice and it was beautiful. I have never sun bathed in my life if that's the type of weather you are hoping for.

I did a lot of coarse fishing and misty days were ideal. We used to light a small fire beside the river and cook sausages and beans on a manky old black pan. Heaven. I still do that when I am out kayaking on Lough Corrib. I even have a small camping kettle that whistles when it's boiling - the kick I get from that! 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks like the washing machine is back for the first half of July although it has to be said it does not look as overly wet as the pattern last July. Subtle hints that a warming trend might take place around the middle of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Overcast, breezy and cool but it’s dry. Not a bad day . Yesterday was mank, got drenched about 10 times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Ahh childhood memorys of happy summers. Indeed we all have them.

Of course I can recall rain soaked days or weeks, YoungRio with his face pressed up against the window, asking his mother 'Will it ever stop raining?'

My parents took me on holiday on to Malin head. I loved it but not exactly a heat mecca. You certainly were spoiled haha

I have fond memories of summer 95. I was only 5 at the time but I remember spending the summer holidays outside from 9am until late evening, playing football/curby, exploring the fields, making dens/treehouses and all that craic. It was an exceptionally good summer weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d say that was the best summer we ever had. Weeks and weeks of heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they couldn't really have taken you anywhere windier and colder in an irish summer lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The only weather I get particularly interested in are winter storms. I have no particular preference for heat or cold but I do love sunshine. Don't care what the temperature is once the sun is shining and in that regard it hasn't been a bad May/June period in South Wicklow. It's been very dry here too and I've gotten more of my landscaping project done in the last few weeks that I thought I'd get done in the whole summer. Have to roll with the punches here lads, otherwise you lose the summer waiting for the odd good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm happy once it's mostly dry. I don't think it's been too bad so far on that front the past 2 months. So often our summer warmth just means warm rain, so I'd rather cool and dry.

Not a bad day today, just a bit breezy.

I'm over 40 and we never went abroad - our holidays were camping in West Cork and Kerry, occasionally Connemara. I remember a lot of warm wet weather. But we got on with it. I distinctly remember playing on Ballydonegan beach in my swimsuit in the cold rain and wind, turning blue, and several French and German tourists commenting to my parents that they should wrap us up! Not a hope we would agree to get dressed!

I was in my early teens in summer 95 and I have absolutely no specific memories of the amazing summer. I didn't realise it was a special summer and nothing stands out to me about the great weather.

Yeah it has been a very dry June. I don't see any Met weather stations in Wicklow but Oak Park in Carlow is showing 22mm for June when the average is over 60mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a breezy and cool morning,the sun has come out and it has turned into a pleasant enough afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

My old Dad was driving through Leitrim that day and he often spoke of that rain. Reckons there were cocks of hay floating down the road, never seen before or since.

This weekend is a good example of opportunity. People earlier in the week were saying the good weather would be over by midweek and "normal service" would resume and that July would be bad etc etc. I naturally took the assumption that the weekend would be wet. I just checked the forecast for tomorrow and Sunday and it looks dry and bright. This happens quite frequently here with the bias on negativity. Yes there will be rain tonight when we are asleep but the weekend looks fine. Game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yes Sunday has the potential to be a lovely day for the majority of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Divine sweet mary mother of god ,could faint glimmers of hope be emerging at the end of the gfs 12z.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyducklings1

Well love the sun too but mostly when it’s accompanied by real heat. Would call myself a sun junkie🤣 Definitely born in wrong climate ! Bring on a better July.

Advertisement