Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

He has done enough in previous tournaments to top group stages.

This one is a strange one as he hasn’t gotten the best team out there but they’ve still managed to top the group (largely down to the poor quality in the group).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I expect England to beat Slovakia and lose to either Switzerland or Italy in the quarters unless Southgate makes significant positive changes to the team - and the only way I can see that happening is if he lucks into it witch changes forced through absence to preferred players. I think Foden will probably be back for Sunday but if not it could have solved one of his issues - him and Bellingham don’t play well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It’s not that different, the players he has picked aren’t performing as expected which isn’t unusual as they are often at the end of a long season or as is often the case particularly with English players they are habitually ridiculously over rated.

Bellingham for example I have heard so much about over the last couple of years you’d swear he’s taking over from Messi and Ronaldo. He’s a good player but not fit to be spoken about in that class. He’s athletic and has neat ball control but he’s no Lio Messi or C Ronaldo. He’s so over rated that he’ll simply never measure up.

The reality is Southgate is their most successful manager since Alf Ramsey and it won’t get better for them after they eventually push him out. With his approach and realisation that they’re not as good as they think they are or made out to be they with the luck of the draw again they could end up in a semi final or even final again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This sounds like something written by a person who doesn't watch games.

Have you seen the set up of the team, the formation, the tactics? The disconnect between midfield and the forwards?

Trippier with no left foot on the left, everytime he got forward he turned infield.

Out of desperation the other night he finally decided to give Mainoo and Palmer some minutes and it's the best they've looked in the tournament. They still didn't score but it was a much more connected formation.

What will he do for the next game? Does he start Mainoo and Palmer or go back to what has looked poor the whole tournament. I'd bet that neither Mainoo nor Palmer get the start.

And your thoughts on Bellingham are clearly of somebody who doesn't watch football. He's the reigning La Liga player of the season. That's a league where Vinicious jr, Kroos, Rodrygo, Lewandoski, Pedri, Gundogan and Griezmann play among others. You don't get that award easily.

The players aren't performing because of the crap manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Southgate can fall back on making a World Cup semi and a Euro final but we all saw who they faced to get there. In his 3 international tournaments with England here are all the teams he's beaten:

Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Sweden, Croatia, Czechia, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark, Iran, Wales, Senegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think his biggest failing was that they were well on top of both Croatia and Italy in the two big games you mentioned. They had a chance to go for the kill.

Against Colombia too it went all the way to penalties when it really should have been put to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

They're a pot 1 team, most of their games are going to be against weaker opposition. I personally wouldn't call Colombia, Sweden, Germany, or Denmark easy games at all. He navigated them.

At the end of the day, he took over a team that was knocked out to Iceland. He gets good draws but he also wins those games. He turned them into a team where they get through each round you would expect them to get through in. He's been eliminated by Croatia in a WC SF, Italy on penalties in a final, and France in a QF.

The only thing he didn't do was win a tournament. No English manager has since Alf and plenty of others have had equally good squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was sensational for most of the season when he wasn't out with injury.

But to be honest, since Madrid started in the knockouts of the CL, he hasn't been at his best. Often a bit part player.

He is said to need an op on the shoulder injury, but that wouldn't explain why he looks so tired now. He looked busted after about an hour in every game.

Germany was probably his greatest day. It was the only time they let loose against another tier 1 side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Belling has made 176 first team appearances since the 19/20 season. He's turning 21 in two days time. A crazy amount of football.

• Advertisement

oh dear, you sound like someone that just goes with whatever the latest recency bias prevailing opinion is. The England manager is “crap” despite having the best record of any England manager since Alf Ramsey and Bellingham is brilliant despite being distinctly average in the business end of Real Madrid’s CL campaign and carrying that average form into this Euros.

I don’t rate England that highly. I think there are several better teams than them in the competition but because of the draw and their “crap” manager as you call him and his pragmatic approach they could get to the semi finals or final again. I hope they go out before that and they sack Gareth because I know they won’t achieve better results with a different manager. He’s got them punching their weight, they’re just not as good as they’re made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

England haven’t beaten a team where the odds or expectations would be even or worse before kick off under Gareth. Germany arguably in last euros maybe. Otherwise they have not beaten a team they might not expect to. In fact they’ve been shown up against better teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

England haven’t beaten a team where the odds or expectations would be even or worse before kick off under Gareth.

Thats kind of irrelevant. How many matches have they played where they are not favorites on the betting market? More than likely 1 game….France. They were knocked out by Croatia and Italy where in both instances, they were favorites.

If you want to include the Nations League (which I don't think should be included), they beat Spain in Spain and beat Belgium at home. In both instances, its entirely plausible the other team were favorites (certainly Spain, Belgium questionable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh dear. Sounds like you aren't judging the team and their performances on their own merits.

For example, what England did in the past, might do in the future, or what other teams are doing all have no relevance whatsoever as to why a manager would put Foden, Bellingham, Kane and Alexander Arnold all into the same 11.

As to why he is having to experiment with his central midfield in the middle of the tournament, why he has to constantly keeping changing who is selected there.

Why he effectively has no left back in the squad.

Why players who are clearly low on both form and fitness are seemingly undroppable, even in games they didn't need to win.

Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

True, but they've absolutely poxed another tournament draw. There's nobody outstanding their side of the draw so it's not inconceivable they'd stagger into another Euro final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Disaster.

No game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

In fairness, Bellingham's performance levels did tail off quite a bit the last two months of the season (or thereabouts). The Final and Semis of the CL he just didn't have the influence that was expected. I don't think he's been noticeable this tournament either - but then playing in this England side with this Manager, you'd have to cut him some slack!

England, despite their shortcomings I think will get over Slovakia without too much difficulty. But after that, I expect a different story.

If it's Switzerland in the QF, I can definitely see England on their way home. The Swiss will love going into that game as underdogs. They caught the French off-guard 3 years ago and were excellent in their drawn group game vs Germany. It's the kind of game they would relish…..and Southgate would dread.

• Nobody has stood out for England so I wouldn't be too quick to single out Bellingham.

There’s at least 3 or 4 better teams than England in the tournament but as others have said because of their luck with the draw they could stagger all the way to the final. When it comes to results Southgate has surpassed every other manager they’ve had since Ramsey, I hope they sack him. I don’t rate them and he’s getting as much out of them as anyone else would or more in terms of results. We’re talking about them way too much, far better and more entertaining side’s mainly on the other side of the draw.

• Advertisement

• Yet they have won nothing. I hope they never sack him. Can't cope without Kalvin Phillips... Ye wonder how pep survived.

He was all over the pitch working very hard at the end of the season. Madrid were struggling to get the ball forward and he went back to help out.

Just because he wasn't shooting at goal or providing assists doesn't mean he wasnt playing great.

I've been saying this a long, long time My comments have been the same since shortly after he got there and he's learned nothing in all those years.

All he can do is make world class players look bad.

It wasn't just me, his performances were being criticised by many in the media as well.

There has been a noticeable dip in his performances in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Its funny how the narrative is now 'Southgate makes world class players look bad' but during/after the first 2 England games, the knives were out for one player in particular and how that one particular player was the reason why England were poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Please delete if no pics/jokes allowed, wasnt sure.

• Advertisement

• That's because he played Trent in midfield. Even Klopp hasn't tried that. Wonder why. Gallagher gone after 45mins. Look at his results.

Draw with North Macedonia. Lost to Brazil. Drew with Belgium. Beat Bosnia and lost to Iceland and then the Euros started.

Trent has played as a dedicated midfielder a few times under Klopp. The first time was in 17/18 for a couple games in the run in before the CL final.

Klopp tried Trent out as a quasi-quarter back DM role at times during the 20/21 covid season. This was the start of his transition, picking up the ball in between the CBs to start attacks, rather than being a RB bombing down the wing.

Then he progressed to being used as an sort of inside/inverted midfielder loads. The first time we saw that was 21/22 for a good run of games. This was usually higher up the pitch as a right sided 8 or even attacking midfielder at times. Before then fully committing to it at the back end of 22/23 and the whole of 23/24 when he was fit. Trent was one of the best players in the league playing this role before the injury in January put him out for a few months. Given Liverpool's possession and game state, he played most of the games in various guises in midfield; be it that deep lying playmaker role taking the ball off of the GK to start attacks or alongside MacAllister in a double pivot.

The key thing here though is that he was able to play quick passes forwards through the lines, to players who actually showed movement.

It was in this 22/23/24 period when he was actually starting and finishing games in midfield consistently though. He might line up as RB on the team sheet but we know where he really played.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The "narrative" surrounding Southgate has been there and been very vocal since 2021.

Not sure what you are trying to insinuate to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Paul Merson had unusual logic on Southgate not making early subs/being decisive.

Merson said "It is like he is afraid to give a player (sub) too much time because if did the player might play well and he would have to start him the next game!"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

And I ask again, how does Ronaldo start? Can the Portugal management not see they are effectively playing with 10 men. Even at his "peak", Ronaldo offered nothing in open play. He's 39 now, and pretty much offers absolutely nothing. As I said, Haaland gets slated for being "just a goal scorer", yet this man has done even less in open play since his last season at United. I simply don't understand it.

People seem to have selective vision watching Ronaldo. I remember his free kick ratio at one stage, was one goal for every 50 attempts. And you have the manager let him take them over and over. And right next to him is Dybala at Juve, lethal at free's, watching this man fcuk them up over and over. It's laughable. And Ronaldo himself genuinely believes he's better than the like of Cruyff, Platiti, Maradona. He's not even in the same sphere tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

As I said after the Spain game, Italy would be a shrewd bet, and now the draw has opened up for them. They'll beat the Swiss and roll England over. Their confidence is on a high. It's a marathon not a sprint. What Italy do better than everyone, is generally start OK, but improve with every round.

Spain have been the front runners who'll drop off, Italy coming along nicely on the outside. We've heard this Italy being called one of the worst ever in the media and people all over this forum. What I always say to people though, is you've big money on a team, and suddenly you're facing Italy, how confident are you all of a sudden? Or how poor do you think they really are?

Since the draw has been made, people are saying England are on the easy side of the draw. But there's been a downbeat responce really from most England fans, they see Italy on the same side, and all of a sudden they aren't so confident anymore. So we'll see now, just how "bad" this Italy team is, when they get a hold of England!

You are literally just repeating yourself, and still not judging the job being done on its own merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

This is exactly it. At Liverpool the whole team would have an understanding of TAAs positioning and what they should be doing relative to him. Southgate just expects to stick him in midfield without any sort of coaching and expects things to happen.

For a man who’s been in the job 8 years it’s pretty shocking how little coaching seems to have gone on in general. There’s very little evidence of the team playing in any patterns with chances being created off the wing for the most part.

I'd say the last bit of innovative coaching that Southgate did was working with that NBA free-throw guy who came up with England's set piece routines for the World Cup in 2018. If memory serves me correctly, most of their goals at that World Cup came from set pieces & penalties. Basically free-throw situations and rebounds etc. Southgate directed his team down that route, had some success, but hasn't kicked on since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

What you're referring to (Italy starting Ok and improving with every round) has happened very rarely, in the last 20 years. I think this is a slightly romanticized view of Italy and largely based on long ago performances.

They haven't even reached the knockout stages of a World Cup since 2006!

At the last Euros in 21, they actually did the reverse of this. They were excellent in the group stages, they were every neutral's favourite team to watch.

By the Semi's they really looked out of gas and were definitely dis-improving. They were very fortunate to get past Spain in the SF (on penalties) and even luckier still to meet in the final an England side that were crippled by lack of self-belief and an overly cautious manager. Any decent side would have dispatched Italy in the final that night, imo.

I actually fancy the Swiss could do them this weekend, although it will be a tight game. Switzerland are one of those "under the radar" teams. but their record in tournament football is quite good and they have a great defence led by Akanji and Schaar.

No one is talking about them which will suit them just fine, and they won't have any fear of Italy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

1993 is the last time that the Swiss beat Italy. I'd like to see Switzerland go in front so that Italy come out and play. My work colleague here is Italian and he says the manager is fine, but that the players play with fear. No idea why though.

Five of the last 6 have been draws however, so we could be heading for penalties. I'd be worried then for Switzerland, as Donnarumma is a big plus for Italy, and for Switzerland its their flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

england lose to india in cricket world cup semi final. lets hope southgate does 2 better and gets knocked out in round of 16. 🙏

Italy play the way they do because they are just not very good. There are just too many gaps in quality across the pitch.

rooney had it right with trent. what does southgate see that rooney the sage does not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Well, we'll get the see how Rooney "the sage" fares with Plymouth in a few weeks time. He should wrap up his podcast and media spots and knuckle down as they are 44 days out from the season opener at Sheffield Wednesday. And its live!!! on Sky.

…….. and back to the Euros, not on Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Italy missed a penalty (Jorginho) against Switzerland in 2021 which cost them a place in Qatar. They had to go play off route and lost to Mother Theresa’s homeland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Didn't he take Birmingham from 6th to the relegation zone last season in 3 months before getting sacked again

i mean rooney is clueless and should be no where near management IMO, but was able to identify something southgate didnt (or possibly ignored).

Rooney said that TAA was brilliant on the ball but was a problem defensively in central midfield.

He could be the worst manager in history, but he isn't wrong. Positionally TAA is all over the place when played in central midfield.

Mad that people can't make any criticism of special Trent without some taking offence. He isn't as good as you want him to be lads, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

The problem for England is that Trent's back ups, Gallagher and Mainoo, have looked equally as awful, if not worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's been asked to play in a 2 man midfield, it's ridiculous. Either play him at right back, 3 man midfield or don't play him at all.

• This. He isn't a midfielder and Southgate has better options at RB

Rooney is saying nothing we don't all know. It's not exactly insightful analysis that needed publishing.

In other news Gordon has injured himself after an incident with an exercise bike.

• Advertisement

The irony meter is broken, that’s all you ever do is repeat yourself. I’m judging the team and squad on their abilities and they’re not as good as they think they are or as the English media thinks they are. That’s their problem. You’re blaming the manager, I’m saying the manager is probably getting as much as possible out of them and if he changed personnel or tactics here or there it’d make little difference. He’s conservative because he knows that’s probably the best way to get results out of them and because they have a bit of talent here and there but are largely average enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement