Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah Opaline Bubbletear was a late addition to my flask for Messmer. You can definitely tell the difference - allows you to sustain a few hits that’d potentially be much closer calls otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks, have that added to my flask now but gonna call it for a while on him. I realised i never visited the huge mountain to the east, last bit of the map I've yet to unlock so that's my next endeavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also doesn't help that Mimic is the one summon that uses HP to summon rather than FP, which means getting caught summoning it can mean instant death. Plus the final boss doesn't always attack straight away, which means I had several tries where I'd see he wasn't attacking straight away, summon mimic, and as soon as I started summoning, motherf*cker would light up and come straight for me knowing I was now stuck in the animation.

Would love to watch an Elden Ring movie, not understand it, and then afterwards piece together the lore from the back of the popcorn and coke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feck, I'm way behind. I've not hit a main boss yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not too far ahead myself, I just got the dancing lion last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Everyone here wandering around +12 Scudatree blessings, im on 8 and i feel like im missing a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Just thinking now that while Messmer and final boss were a challenge, the enemy that still gave me most deaths is the Bell Bearing Hunter in Caelid. I still have nightmares about him

When you finally find the abyssal forest but wish you never had 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Decided to try the Scadutree Avatar over lunch - after Messmer, it was a relief to have a major boss who went down on my second attempt 😅

Also watched my recording of the Messmer fight. I know it can be hard to appreciate amid the chaos of the battle and the stress of actually pulling them off, but these games really do teach you to pull off some ninja moves with very specific timings. Rhytmically dodging the likes of Messmer's cross slam move or his opening slam (and subsequent explosion) really are deeply rewarding to do correctly. And it was far from a perfect run from me - just enough of those moments to get what needed to do done.

• Advertisement

Scadutree Avatar actually gave me more trouble than most; not even sure why. Just really struggled to get a proper rhythm going for most of the tries.

I think there's just sometimes everyone just hits a mental block against certain From bosses for whatever reason. Build type can be a factor for sure (as an Int caster I had a very easy time doing decent damage to Scadutree consistently) but sometimes I think there's no rhyme or reason to why a particular boss gives you trouble. It was Jori for me, although I maintain the stupid adds in that fight were the main reason I kept pulling my hair out :)

That's true. Jori, Commander Gaius and the Golden Hippo are three that I beat first time even though they give others a lot of trouble, but that's because enemies/bosses who are large or small groups of enemies near each other (like Jori's adds), the Nebula on Wing of Astel just wrecks (I know I keep banging that drum, but it's so damn good). Whereas bosses like Messmer and Rellana, they only get a bit of the Nebula or move too quickly to be caught in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get to the lower eastern parts of the map, until I eventually made my way down to Bonny village. But even that wasn't enough, I still couldn't access the very visible ruins in the river. Spent ages trying to get down to it but I eventually gave up and googled it. So many areas hidden away that you can easily miss, even when specifically searching for them.

What usually happens to me is that I’m in a big area, and can see there is potentially 2 or more paths. I venture down one path and just forget that there was an alternate route as you are completely side tracked and occupied with the new area you found

Oh look, a huge empty arena. I might as well just stick that katana through myself now and get it out of the way.

Were you given something to summon an NPC for the fight? If so, worth trying once anyway

I met a guy who sounded like he got 10 kicks to the balls and i got a cook book, couldn't see any summon sign though, might have missed it? Bale is incredibly hard, actually similar to final boss with how quick he is on you.

You might have to talk to him (Igon) a few times, he gives you a Finger item so you can summon him for the fight. It's the one I missed. His item is in one of the other menu pages in the inventory for some reason so I couldn't find it to summon him (and apparently people are putting messages down on top of where his summon sign appears). But I saw a video of bringing him into the fight, it's pretty good. Worth watching the video at least if you can't or don't want to bring him into the fight.

Oh i keep hearing about how good is a character he is. Cool, I'll go back to him and then try the fight again, thanks!

Speaking of Jagged Peak is absolutely class, the tense atmosphere is amazing for an optional area.

• Advertisement

He disappeared but Google told me i had to kill the 2 drakes on the mountain, did that and got the finger, summoned him against Bayle and he was useless. Basically the monty python knight chatting **** with no limbs 😂

Think i need to take a bit of a break, the final boss is mind numbingly hard.

This is very accurate.

Yeah he's worth bringing in just for the voice lines, but seems like he's not much addition other than that.

Oh god enthusiasm is class, sounds like he's going to wage absolute war in him to turn around and miss 4 arrow shots in a row 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I beat the Chinese dragon guy and Rellana and kind of did it handily. Used my summon as well as the story summon for both. Kind of feels like I'm cheesing it since I heard Rellana is tough but with me and Mimic tear building up bleed damage he was a bit of a chump.

Yeah Rellana's not too bad. I actually used Tiche for aggro and went magic to beat her. Once you know how to avoid the moons she's relatively simple.

Some surprisingly talky bits in this, relative to the From norm. Did the Ansbach / Leda fight and they were chatting away throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭McFly85

Few days behind everyone, just got to Messimer who promptly annihilated me. The Shadow Keep in general I found okay with a strength build, my poise is high enough to make light work of most of those knights.

That f*cking hippo though. The moveset would be fine if the space wasn’t so cramped, pretty much all deaths were due to the camera or lock releasing after getting hit.

All in all it’s great to be back!

Actually speaking of Tiche, I tried to use her once in the final boss after the glowing reviews and she died before phase 2 😅

But just reading up on it and it’s well known now that Tiche isn’t suited to that boss

• Advertisement

She’s good in some fights as she’s such a tank, but definitely not in all. I’ve found giving my Mimic Tear Rivers of Blood while focusing on casting myself has been a very effective approach for several bosses, as the Mimic will happily spam Bloodbound’s Fang and get that precious blood loss damage.

Advertisement