Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do about my daughter being bullied?

Options
  • 27-06-2024 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Long story short, my 15 year old daughter has had a horrific couple of years, she has a history of self harm, suicide attempts and is attending mental health services.

There are a small group of girls who are harassing her online. She used to be friends with these girls, but over the past couple of years has drifted away from them. They are calling her on private numbers up to 40 times a night. I have screenshots of messages they have sent, and recordings of voice notes. She says she's not bothered by it, but I can't trust that due to her history.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to make things worse for her, she is adamant that I don't go to the school about it, school is out for the summer anyway so it would be September before I could approach them. Should I approach the parents? The girls? Or do nothing and hope it passes?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please change her phone number in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Close down your daughter's existing phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Be right back

Change her number and make all social media private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I’d agree with changing the phone number immediately- and only give it to the family. Also make social media private too. Keep the messages and voice notes in case you need them at some stage. If the harassment continues I’d go to the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Make a file or folder of all those recordings, voice notes and screenshots and give it to the Gardai and Tusla. A visit from the Gardai might cop those stupid chunts on.

Are their parents reasonable and approachable? If so, I'd be playing the voice notes to them so they can hear what their children have been doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Always horrible to hear of this type of thing. The poor girl. Not a parent, but I have a 15 year old niece who I adore, and the thought of some toxic little witches doing this to her would make my blood boil. Definitely agree that the first thing to do is change her phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Thank you for the advice, I'll get working on changing her number.

Yes they're approachable, I'd know them from the girl's days in primary together. I'm wary of making things worse for her if I approach them, but I have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

set up a whatsapp group and add all the parents into it who's kids are involved , and put up messages and voice notes , they will surely know who's kid is up to no good

i'd go to the ends of the earth to protect my child ( shes 11 now and maybe has all this ahead of her )

id not give 2 fooks about approaching the parents also ( my kids health and well being ) is far more important than being pally pally with others

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

I don't think the OP has any issue with going to the parents, it's their kids reaction after THEIR parents talk to them. Not saying he shouldn't, he should, it's just his worry.

If it is relentless, and his daughter may consider going to a different school. I wouldn't care if the 'witches' thought they'd won… at the end of the day it might be worth considering.

But, yes - change of phone number, although the witches will probably get it soon enough after. But, you're really into Gardai territory then.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

It's really not about being pally at all, it's more that I'm concerned what will happen afterwards. The abuse may get worse and these teenagers are so clever at hiding everything that I may have no proof. Considering her mental state at the minute, I really can't afford to make things worse for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭drury..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We have had similar with our Daughter from 15 and same story, old friends drifted apart. One girl started the nastiness out of jealousy/spite and it's been ongoing for a couple of years. It has impacted my Daughters education. She's got a thick skin, but these things wear you down and isolate you, so it shouldn't be ignored. She could kick the shít out of the girl, but we are reluctantly encouraging diplomacy in the hope the other girl cops on.

We have been through the school bullying process, which is next to useless (box ticking) and our next steps will be to talk to the parents of the girl coordinating it. We already asked the school to facilitate a meeting, which they declined, opting to stick to their box ticking processes. We will know in September if it is necessary to speak directly to the parents.

This will only continue and get worse, so you need to do for your Daughter what she doesn't want, but definitely needs. Doing nothing is allowing these cvnts to bully your daughter into doing something that can't be undone. They only think they are smart, but leaving a trail of voice notes, messages and "hidden" numbers, calling dozens of times a night is beyond bullying.

School, Tusla, Gardaí, Parents. Go in that order because of your Daughters history.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Don't close her social media or change her number ,Don't let them win

There is always ONE person who has the issue & the other little gremlins think they win favour by helping them ., Id call directly to the house of the main culprit & id knock on the door & ask the parents can i speak to your daughter about bullying my child please, Id remain calm to the point & tell her in as little words as possible if she makes contact or speaks to my daughter again there shall be consequences & leave ,

Post edited by yourdeadwright on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Because it's ridiculously passive-aggressive and only likely to escalate things. The OP should speak to each set of parents directly and then perhaps a group approach is the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Screenshot some of the messages. That way you can show the other parents what's being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

A relative of mine had the same .

Ended up, despite talking to parents of these bxtches , bullying continuing so they left the school and did their final couple of years in another school where they were more on the ball about anti bullying .

While in principle I agree that stopping social media and changing phone number is 'giving in ' to bullies , the op has her daughter's mental health and welfare to consider .

I think if the parents are reasonable talk to them .

If not, copy all messages and recordings and go to the guards if school not getting a handle on it .

No point worrying about it getting worse , op .

It sounds as bad now as it is going to get and the quality of every day of your child's life is important.

Best of luck with this x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

We had this in primary school with 2 of ours and it continued on and off for almost 2 years. We tried managing it with the school, and the parents but kids can be so mean sometimes they got more secretive and sly about it so we would think it was solved but it was always there. Ultimately what solved it for us was changing schools we were very lucky that we had this option with several to choose from close

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Hooked

Jesus I HATE reading stuff like this - and what I hate worse is any attempt to change your or your daughter's behaviours because of this bullying. If you have numbers of the other parents - MY first step would be to send a polite yet curt message briefly outlining what has been going on, how it is RUINING your daughters life and how you FEAR for the risk of her KILLING HERSELF over this!!! Because that's what we are dealing with here! Someone's life!!!

And be sure to let them know that you have PLENTY of evidence. Not in he threatening sense… but in the sense that this is not he said/she said. This is not one parent's word over another's… This is based on FACTS!

Any self respecting adult, no - parent, will immediately put themselves in the OP's shoes - and react accordingly. Don't mind the school, their anti-bullying 'stance', Tusla or any other futile obstacle. The other girls PARENTS are responsible here.

Next step - take the phone, the messages and all the evidence to the Guards.

Don't wait till September. And do not approach these girls themselves!!! Stand up for your daughter before it's too late.

To be fair, if any grown man turned up at my door asking to talk to my daughter he'd be told to hit the road, and I don't think I'm alone there. So, that's why you'd need to talk to the parents.

• Advertisement

See your response is exactly why i'd do it, because all of a sudden you realise how serious the situation is to the other father ,

All anyone is going to see is a potentially dangerous adult looking to talk to their daughter, and defences going up. I don't see how that advances anything for the OP's daughter, when you can simply talk to the father and use your words.

These kids are obviously poorly raised & also don't give a **** ,So im not sure just talking to the parents is going to change anything, They need to know its serious & your not going to stand for it,

Its a simple & effective way to let them feel the fear his daughter has without saying anything inappropriate or doing anything inappropriate

Or play nice nice & watch your own daughter continue to suffer

No. You seem to have only one option… talk to the daughters, that's going to get the gardai on the side of the bullies' parents. And if you're having to explain why you feel the need to talk to a minor the gardai have totally forgotten about minor to minor altercations.

You have your solution that you're not going to deviate from, so there's no point discussing further.

Your allowed speak to a minor in front of there parents ? What law are you breaking there ?

All you've said if they keep bullying there ill be consequences , You meant you;d get the Garda involved & now your delighted that they are involved, there daughter is now not going to continue, you have done nothing to beak the law then so what is the issue

If your more afraid of someone calling the Garda on you , (when you've done nothing wrong ) than helping you daughter then god help your children

if you remain calm & composed throughout there nothing but a win for you 7 your daughter

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If someone was calling your phone as an adult all night, what would you do?

I ask because we have given kids adult devices and access to an adult world, yet somehow seem to look on their behaviour differently and make excuses for it.There are none.It's the real life equivalent of somebody banging on your front door and running away over and over again, and nobody would tolerate that.Kids have to learn this is not acceptable behaviour, or a laugh or a bit of craic - there are actual people at the other end of these devices with real lives.

You are right to be worried.

If the parents are approachable, I would go to the parents first.Lay it all out in front of them.Depending on the cooperation levels, I would be gently suggesting that if this continues the next step will have to be the school and Gardai (because it WILL have to be the Gardai.If it was an adult doing this to amother adult, that is what you would end up doing).I think I would ask that their child be present in the room when you have the conversation with the parents.Put a timeline on it too.

Depending on the outcome of that, I'd be considering my options.Firstly, chat with the gardai, to see what happens.Certainly speak to the school. The principal should be available, despite the holidays - an email would be worth sending.I understand she doesn't want you going to the school but there comes a point where this is bigger than these kids realise, and has to be dealt with for everyone's sake.

Having exhausted other avenues, I'd change her number.It's not the be all and end all for that to happen because the reality is she will move on in a few years time and male new friends, and nobody should have to put up with that.But I wouldn't jump to that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sorry to hear that

I do think changing her phone number and talking to the parents, would be your starting point

I hope peace and pray for your daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Set her phone to block private / unknown numbers as a first step. Same for messages.

Advertisement