Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Irish History

You are right of course - there is such a thing as a 'Just War' and Ireland's war to free itself from the invader and occupier England is obviously justified - especially when the democratic will of the Irish people and self-determination for our own country is being suppressed by the foreign invader and occupier.

What Irish person in their right mind would think, never mind argue, otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,233 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

While I abhor the violence from the beginning it is the hypocrisy of those who owe their freedom to others who saw 'no alternative' that grates.

It's quite possible to hate and condemn the violence but understand why it happened in the first place and why it is so difficult to stop once those in responsible positions allow it to begin.

I agree with you.

As the Pope said, and the Irish Volunteers quoted.

"The natural law enjoins us to love devotedly and to defend our native land, so that every good citizen hesitates not to face death for the country that gave him birth".

And the Pope is infallible on all matters of faith or morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭jh79

They intentionally murdered a 14 year old when killing Mountbatten.

Their bombs intentionally targeted civilians including children.

How do you know it was intentional?

Just wondering if they knew there were going to be children onboard.

The pope is infallible, that's hilarious 😂! Is the Giants Causeway only a few thousand years old too?

There were shocking atrocities on all sides, you should be saying here. For instance, nearly 40 children (that we know of) were killed by the British army and the vast majority never got even a sniff at justice or a trial process nor even a proper investigation.

Typical of the hypocrisy you try and make an exception of one side.

A tragic conflict/war where the Irish, those who identify as British and the British themselves saw no alternative but to kill.

Take two possible IRA targets as an example. A pub, if your morals allow it , it could be argued as targeting adult civilians. A shopping high street or a Boots during daytime would definitely have children about. In that case they would be intentionally targeting children as well as adults.

They saw the child present but murdered him anyways for "the cause".

• Advertisement

OK thanks. I didn't know it was detonated from afar - I assumed it was on a timer.

Edit - I just read up on it and the bomb was not detonated from afar. It's not clear to me that they knew there were going to be children onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes they did, a lot of their bombs and the time they set them off it was clear they wanted to target children

Enniskillen bombing was just set to target random people. A miracle children not killed

Shankill Bombing, the man walked in with the bomb and could see children, the PIRA knew children would be in the location as well

The list goes on, the PIRA constantly targeted children

Will PSF or the PIRA release the details of the people involved in the reported rape of women and children? or keep covering it up

Remember the old leader had no problem hiding a paedophile in a youth centre in the Republic, then lied about it for years. Even trying to shut down the media when the information was coming out with another SF legal case, also trying to shut down the victim

That's the PSF and PIRA you are talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The spinners have probably spotted an opportunity for some of their people to dress up in black clothes, berets and sunglasses to provide protection security 😉

I understand what you mean but I'm sure you are aware of England's demonic history in Ireland and that England is ultimately to blame for the consequences of its ongoing occupation in Ireland.

The IRA are not the problem - they are but a symptom of the problem. The problem is England interfering in the affairs in Ireland.

And when it comes to the amount of people the foreign British invaders and occupiers killed in Ireland, compared to the native Irish Resistance defending Ireland - there is no equivalency.

So you accept now that MON believes they had no choice but to murder children is a legitimate descriptive term given it is factual?

No england are not to blame for the consequences.

The PIRA was the problem, they ran as a criminal gang which in reality is still running today.

The PIRA has no problem killing and raping women and children from the nationalist side as well when it suited them. Was that England fault as well?

Based on the number the majority of people killed on the nationalist side was at the hands of the PIRA. The so called army to protect those people.

Did running drugs in Ireland and filling Dublin with drugs, was that also England fault?

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be an IRA in the very first instance but for the illegal invasion and fraudulent occupation of Ireland by England.

That is just the historical fact of the matter.

They had no choice but to fight back and we all know what that spiraled into, a tragedy of epic proportions were children and civilians died on all sides. There is one major one of similar tragedy happening right now in the world.

And, you know what? It won't end until those with the power do what is necessary to create the circumstances where it will stop.

I have zero doubt that Loyalists and British soldiers found themselves facing the same alternative. It wasn't unique to republicans/nationalists.

What does seem to be unique is the honesty to accept it and work to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The honesty to accept it? If that was the case you would have accepted the legitimate descriptive term in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭skallywag

You did not.

You mentioned that the fact 'Sinn Fein' was in the thread title suggested that they think the electorate are stupid.

It's all there to see, have a read back over it.

On matters of doctrine. You should educate yourself about 'Papal infallibility' - clearly.

"Any doctrine 'of faith or morals' issued by the Pope in his capacity as successor to St. Peter, speaking as pastor and teacher of the Church Universal [Ecclesia Catholica], from the seat of his episcopal authority in Rome, and meant to be believed 'by the universal church,' has the special status of an ex cathedra statement. Vatican Council I in 1870 declared that any such ex cathedra doctrines have the character of infallibility."

• Advertisement

So what has changed today to back then? England are still in Northern Ireland

The PIRA was seemingly created to protect nationalist and killed more than anyone else

The criminal sections of the PIRA are still running today by all accounts and PSF are still linked today with drugs and killings of people.

Are you trying to say this is England faults?

What do you believe? Had the IRA no choice but to kill children? Was it worth it in hindsight given the position she holds now?

Where did I write about drugs being England's fault?

Would you like me to write it was England's fault - that way you wouldn't be posting nonsense all the time???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭pureza

100% agree there

The war in palestine is an intractable question

Huge Israeli lobby

Huge extreme Islamic & Iranian threat to a nation at this stage fearfull of the revenge thats capable of being heaped upon it for what it shoukd never have been doing,but still adding fuel to the fire by not knowing when to stop

Millions of innocent lives caught in the middle

It's the norths troubles multiplied by 1000s

We are so lucky

I believe that once a conflict/war of that nature begins, innocents are going to get killed. I know of nowhere where it didn't happen. It would happen here again if the same situation arose.

All sides killed children, women and innocents, willfully and by accident.

Why did that happen? Because society was allowed to degrade to the point that the place went up in flames. And if you read about the period, speech's in HoC, the thoughts of the period's PM's Wilson, Heath, Callaghan etc, they knew what would happen. That is not an excuse by the way, just an explanation for my views.

DIdn't take long did it :-)

When you post fairy tale nonsense people will discuss it.

The PIRA and PSF was just a criminal gang, they had no interest in the Nationalist community, if they did they wouldn't have killed so many, or raped women and children in that community. All been covered up by PSF and the PIRA. Speak out or go to the police and you got killed.

That was the PIRA and PSF. Still today you have people afraid to go to report murders without getting approval from PSF.

So post away, but I think you should read your own post #6094 and take your own advice

Didn't answer the question though. Had they no choice but to target civilians including children? It is a yes or no answer.

The PIRA and PSF was just a criminal gang, they had no interest in the Nationalist community

Honestly, this ^^^is down at the ‘FG are all Blueshirts’ level of debate.
    Funny how many of this ‘criminal gang’ are still working for and representing their communities.

I don’t know is the answer.
    Why would it matter though if they intended it or not, they died on all sides.
    It matters to you because it scratches the itch to blame one side and characterise them as unique.
    They weren’t.

• Advertisement

Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, unequivocally, the evidence demonstrates that the IRA did intentionally target children.

Two examples:

(1) Mullaghmore: This bomb was detonated by remote control, requiring a direct line of sight on the boat. The IRA murderer knew, as he pressed the button, that he was killing children

(2) Warrington: Deliberately confusing bomb warnings were given to ensure that women and children out shopping would be murdered. One of the bombs exploded outside a McDonalds.

This is quite a disgusting revisionist post, attempting to defend and justify the murderers of the PIRA.

There was an alternative, it is what is there now, accept the democratic will of the people of Northern Ireland and not attempt to terrorise them. John Hume and Seamus Mallon, great men, others like Austin Currie too, they didn't fall for the stupid mindless justification of violence that there was "no alternative". They were men of peace, and the true debt of peace is owed to them.

The PIRA achievements were the destruction of their community, the killing of ordinary people and the terrorising of millions. That is all, nothing else.

The PIRA were pure evil, of that there is no doubt. Those that continue to succour and revere and defend them today must be viewed through the same lens.

I didn't defend a single person or violent incident.

This is the climb onto the higher moral ground that will happen whenever the issue is raised.
    It generally happens when a person refuses to try to understand what happened or why it happened or they are seeking to vindicate one or other of the combatants.

All of them have blame and responsibility in differing ways.

If you could explain rationally and without the emotional finger pointing why the prime responsibility should not fall at the feet of those who had the actual responsibility and power to ensure a society was governed properly and stably, please do.

So there was an alternative to killing children, and Michelle O'Neill was wrong.

We have finally got there.

Oh stop the emotive, 'I won the argument' rubbish.

Appaling behaviour.
    You don't want to debate you just want to moralise and protect your own sides.

@FrancieBrady and @blanch152 This is not the thread for debating the troubles,theres a united Ireland thread for that,would ye both continue that there please and keep this one for the topic at hand

I read an article dicussing a new survey showing SF has up to 60% of the under 30's vs 10% for FG.

This is surely good news for Sinn Féin after a dismal few weeks and its a vote that didnt bother to get out in the Euro's etc that will get out in the GE.

So theres plenty of positivity in the growth story for Sinn Féin in the Dáil yet.

• Advertisement

It depends on who votes,if you can get even half that 60% out,you'll be up at or above 2020 again.

That being said you'd need to be up in the high 60's in turnout as you've only a little over a tenth of the rest and do you know,they DO vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Many young people are left wing in their college days but as they get older / get wiser / learn more about the ways of the world / get sense / move up the career and housing ladder etc, they leave their left wing tendencies behind.

The obvious exception being FrancieBrady, he used to (or so he says) vote FG and FF but now has 60,000 posts for SF.

I think the lesson we can learn is never believe what a anonymous account on the internet posts

I know supporters of the PIRA during the troubles, none of them would make the excuses etc we see posted on here of the actions they did during the troubles.

In terms of PSF, well trying to break the conversation of PSF and the PIRA is hard when they constantly bring it back up and throw it in peoples faces

I see a little video today of MON on some program, I guess from the North, which said MLMD wouldn't attend PIRA events if she is Taoiseach, when asked if MON would not attend them as well she went around in circles, couldn't just answer yes or no. Typical PSF.

You are correct, that was something I hadn't realised. Any older republican I know is now ashamed of what the PIRA did, murdering children. Only one exception to that rule.

Do you have an article that shows that? I would guess it relates to polls from a year ago.

If Sinn Fein has 60% of the under-30s, then it must be around 5% of those over 30 to reach a level of 23% in the polls.

Look,have a bit of undeestanding of the politics of your island

You cannot expect MoN to avoid Republican events,SF would lose votes up north,at least 10 to 20% of them to fringe lunatic anti gfa parties or they wouldn't vote at all,handing seats to unionists

If you don't get that or don't get that for the time being,whats unpalletable to you needs to be catered for up north,you are being unrealistic and naive

I've personally had enough of the goading and tat titting round here

You should all go find a room on telegram somewhere

Preferably a locked one and leave the thread to actual debaters

• Advertisement

People fully understand that Sinn Fein commemorate terrorists to hang on to their core vote, however, that is reason enough for decent people not to vote for them, and it is also wrong.

I won't vote for Aontu because of their stance on pro-life and I won't vote for Sinn Fein because they refuse to apologise properly for the actions of the PIRA. Fundamentally, any political party that supports, or apologises for non-state actor terrorists is a threat to democracy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Even though you don't seem to understand the politics very well you have just explained why SF can't continue to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds. The Irish voters have spent over 100 years rejecting the type of republicanism that SF stand for. So if SF ever want to be part of an Irish government they will have to address their democratic deficiencies. If a hundred plus years of Irish politics can't teach you that then there is not much to debate.

Northern Ireland voters have different priorities to Republic of Ireland voters

Their priorities are very accepting and tollerating of Republican commerations and for a strong share of their vote up there expecting of that

Ergo Southern voters asking/demanding MoN drops Republican comemorations is unreasonable

Allied to that younger Southern voters minded towards Sinn Féin ,on the whole clearly don't give a twopenny damn about it

That bit I undéstand very well

What?
    Are you standing in a historical blind spot?

If MLMD says she won't attend, why would MON think it is ok?

She is supposed to represent all the people in Northern Ireland, attending those events to celebrate the PIRA murdering people ia hardly a good representation of any community? after all the PIRA killed more nationalists than anyone else during the troubles.

People want to move on, forget the troubles as much as possible. Yet PSF want to rub it in their faces whenever they get a chance. Of course this plays to a couple of people, but does is it what everyone else wants?

Do you have anything to back up the 10-20% of PSF in the North are "fringe lunatic anti gfa"? the people I know are nothing of the sort, of course you have few but they are the people when they are drinking in the bar you go into the lounge if you get me

In terms of locking down the thread, well you are here in the good times, before this you had one person running 10+ accounts, having full blown conversations with himself and a number of prominent accounts using PM's and all sorts to attack people who didn;t agree with them.

If you ignore the nonsense and 101 posts on the same topic, you will find a good discussion.

As I said, if PSF want to stop talking about PIRA, they should stop bringing them up all the time

• Advertisement
Advertisement