Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Julian Assange arrested after Ecuador withdraw asylum

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

A round table chaired by Joe Rogan that also includes Brett Weinstein, Terrance Howard and Billy Carson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The timing of them closing and reopening the investigation was really odd. Assamge claims he ran because he believed he'd be sent to the US. He denied all the charges and there are no charges so he's innocent.

If you are one of those guys that decides that without a trial and hearing the evidence that you'll decide somebody did it then you have a big mental problem.

I despise people who come up to you and say 'did you hear about Jimmy Sullivan?' You know it's going to be something bad and if it's bad they know it's true without any proper knowledge. They don't like my response which is, I didn't hear about it, it's none of my business and I don't want to know.

I believe those people have mental problems which leads to wanting to hear and spread bad things about people.

I'm like that because I've no time for unfounded conjecture.

Unless you have all the facts about something you have no business saying anything about it or accusing anybody of doing anything.

The fact that no country would activate an arrest warrant for him for the Swedish charges says a lot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The British did, probably because he was in Britain. Indeed, most of a year of his stay in HMP Belmarsh was served for the crime of breaching bail when he failed to surrender himself to British authorities for extradition.

I make no statement as to whether or not Assange was guilty of any sexual-related offenses in Sweden or anywhere else. It is, however, a statement of fact that the Swedes arrested him in absentia a few hours after he left the country, that the British agreed to extradite him, and that he skipped bail in order to avoid said extradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Randycove

an arrest warrant can only be activated if he is in that country.
    It wasn’t within the power of the British to decide if he was guilty or innocent. An international arrest warrant was issued so they were obliged to act on it. He then chose to ignore his bail conditions, hence committing a crime for which he was sentenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭MFPM

Indeed, because the 'west' is a homogenous entity to which all who live there support it and adhere to the same set of ideals! Furthermore how dare any one highlight potential crimes or abuses of the 'west'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

do you remember the days when you could? Iraq etc. good times 😆

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I actually lauded a fair few of Wikileak's leaks. However as the years went on, it became apparent that many of his own leaks were both irresponsible and put innocent lives at risk. That's why a lot of publications tended to distance themselves from him. Then there's the fact he avoided specific leaks around Russia etc. The man pretty much became a cult of personality who could do no wrong and that's part of what ruined the platform.

Not a mention from either of you as regards the odd end to the investigation and sudden reopening of it just before he was due to be released after his bail sentence and then being dropped again when he was being held for extradition to the United States, the very thing he said was the reason for him leaving Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The investigation was stopped cause they couldn't interview him. It was reopened cause they thought they might be able to interview him.

Have you a link to prove that? They could have interviewed him when he was in prison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭deirdremf

It may have been "convenient" - but how was it his fault that the Swedes didn't charge him while he was on their patch? If they had sufficiently incriminating evidence surely they could have got a warrant to arrest him and so ensure that he faced the music.

In the absence of such evidence was he not as free to come and go as you or me?

They could have, but there would have been no benefit to it.

There was an attempt to interview him in the Ecuadorian embassy but the Swedes were not permitted by the Ecuadorians to ask any questions, the overall process in effect was on hold until the Ecuadorians finally kicked him out in April 2019. In May 2019, the Swedes re-opened the case, and stated the intent to extradite after the completion of the sentence imposed by the UK for bail jumping. Since the statute of limitations for the one remaining potential charge was good until Dec 2020, this was a viable course of action which gave time for the Swedish prosecutors to work on the case and the interview could happen in Sweden as originally intended. Later that year, however, they concluded that after the passage of time, evidentiary standards likely would not be met and so dropped it, making any interview redundant.

This is all perfectly public knowledge which I am surprised you are not aware of.

Its crap because there is no statute of limitations on a rape charge. And time doesn't affect the evidence in a rape case either.

Apparently there is in Swedish law for the degree of assault in question. You disagree, take it up with the Swedes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

The American line of him putting innocent lives at risk has been well and truly proven false at this stage but still lingers on.

The US themselves admitted not being able to show that one person was harmed by the publications. If there was, they would have kept that all over the news, and used it against him.

The bit about publications distancing themselves from him is more interesting. The reason WL worked with journalists was in part to ensure that the redactions and protection of sources were done correctly and carefully. So that it was the publications themselves and their legal teams and much as WL who decided what got published.

Eventually, the full unredacted cables were released years later, and this only came about because one of those very trusted publications, The Guardian published the encryption password that WL had given them to protect the unredacted cables. (see David Leigh, Guardian Books)

Advertisement