Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment in house to let

• 28-06-2024 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Do I invest in a house to let in Northern Ireland or a house in the south? If anyone has knowledge regarding this please share, TIA 😊

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

A tiny bit more info would be useful here, are you looking for rental yield or capital growth?

Would the Sterling or Euro be more useful to you in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Alexus25

Thank you dazed, I would probably be looking to build rental yield, I still need to buy my long term home too so I'm in the mindset of do I use my 50k savings on an investment of buying a house to rent while I work in Northern Ireland for the next few years or just keep building on my savings for my long term home that I hope you buy within the next 10 years. I'm in my mid 30s

I didn't even think about the sterling vs euro being more useful, the sterling would be useful for the next few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Would definitely build savings for your forever home and stay away from rentals

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Rentals are high tax, a lot of trouble and low margins. Hence landlords are running out of the market. If you find a suitable house buy it and buy it now. Its becoming harder and harder to build a house due to beauracy and planning laws and what not. I am not in favour in investing in these "cheap Irish homes" because they dont exist unless you are a tradesman yourself. The amount of work and materials you need, you might have been better off with a new build.

There is no such thing as a "dream home", you find hopefully something 80-90% acceptable and make it work. A man buys a house but a woman buys a home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are talking about investing on one of the most high risk asset classes a private investor can put money into. To be brutally honest, if you don't know the answer to this question then the last thing you should be doing is investing in property, especially property in a foreign country.

Thanks so much for everyone's responses, much appreciated

Advertisement