Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

The pope is infallible, that's hilarious 😂! Is the Giants Causeway only a few thousand years old too?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There were shocking atrocities on all sides, you should be saying here. For instance, nearly 40 children (that we know of) were killed by the British army and the vast majority never got even a sniff at justice or a trial process nor even a proper investigation.

Typical of the hypocrisy you try and make an exception of one side.

A tragic conflict/war where the Irish, those who identify as British and the British themselves saw no alternative but to kill.

Take two possible IRA targets as an example. A pub, if your morals allow it , it could be argued as targeting adult civilians. A shopping high street or a Boots during daytime would definitely have children about. In that case they would be intentionally targeting children as well as adults.

They saw the child present but murdered him anyways for "the cause".

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Irish History

OK thanks. I didn't know it was detonated from afar - I assumed it was on a timer.

Edit - I just read up on it and the bomb was not detonated from afar. It's not clear to me that they knew there were going to be children onboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes they did, a lot of their bombs and the time they set them off it was clear they wanted to target children

Enniskillen bombing was just set to target random people. A miracle children not killed

Shankill Bombing, the man walked in with the bomb and could see children, the PIRA knew children would be in the location as well

The list goes on, the PIRA constantly targeted children

Will PSF or the PIRA release the details of the people involved in the reported rape of women and children? or keep covering it up

Remember the old leader had no problem hiding a paedophile in a youth centre in the Republic, then lied about it for years. Even trying to shut down the media when the information was coming out with another SF legal case, also trying to shut down the victim

That's the PSF and PIRA you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The spinners have probably spotted an opportunity for some of their people to dress up in black clothes, berets and sunglasses to provide protection security 😉

I understand what you mean but I'm sure you are aware of England's demonic history in Ireland and that England is ultimately to blame for the consequences of its ongoing occupation in Ireland.

The IRA are not the problem - they are but a symptom of the problem. The problem is England interfering in the affairs in Ireland.

And when it comes to the amount of people the foreign British invaders and occupiers killed in Ireland, compared to the native Irish Resistance defending Ireland - there is no equivalency.

So you accept now that MON believes they had no choice but to murder children is a legitimate descriptive term given it is factual?

No england are not to blame for the consequences.

The PIRA was the problem, they ran as a criminal gang which in reality is still running today.

The PIRA has no problem killing and raping women and children from the nationalist side as well when it suited them. Was that England fault as well?

Based on the number the majority of people killed on the nationalist side was at the hands of the PIRA. The so called army to protect those people.

Did running drugs in Ireland and filling Dublin with drugs, was that also England fault?

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be an IRA in the very first instance but for the illegal invasion and fraudulent occupation of Ireland by England.

That is just the historical fact of the matter.

They had no choice but to fight back and we all know what that spiraled into, a tragedy of epic proportions were children and civilians died on all sides. There is one major one of similar tragedy happening right now in the world.

And, you know what? It won't end until those with the power do what is necessary to create the circumstances where it will stop.

I have zero doubt that Loyalists and British soldiers found themselves facing the same alternative. It wasn't unique to republicans/nationalists.

What does seem to be unique is the honesty to accept it and work to ensure it doesn't happen again.

The honesty to accept it? If that was the case you would have accepted the legitimate descriptive term in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

You did not.

You mentioned that the fact 'Sinn Fein' was in the thread title suggested that they think the electorate are stupid.

It's all there to see, have a read back over it.

On matters of doctrine. You should educate yourself about 'Papal infallibility' - clearly.

"Any doctrine 'of faith or morals' issued by the Pope in his capacity as successor to St. Peter, speaking as pastor and teacher of the Church Universal [Ecclesia Catholica], from the seat of his episcopal authority in Rome, and meant to be believed 'by the universal church,' has the special status of an ex cathedra statement. Vatican Council I in 1870 declared that any such ex cathedra doctrines have the character of infallibility."

So what has changed today to back then? England are still in Northern Ireland

The PIRA was seemingly created to protect nationalist and killed more than anyone else

The criminal sections of the PIRA are still running today by all accounts and PSF are still linked today with drugs and killings of people.

Are you trying to say this is England faults?

What do you believe? Had the IRA no choice but to kill children? Was it worth it in hindsight given the position she holds now?

Where did I write about drugs being England's fault?

Would you like me to write it was England's fault - that way you wouldn't be posting nonsense all the time???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

100% agree there

The war in palestine is an intractable question

Huge Israeli lobby

Huge extreme Islamic & Iranian threat to a nation at this stage fearfull of the revenge thats capable of being heaped upon it for what it shoukd never have been doing,but still adding fuel to the fire by not knowing when to stop

Millions of innocent lives caught in the middle

It's the norths troubles multiplied by 1000s

We are so lucky

• Advertisement

I believe that once a conflict/war of that nature begins, innocents are going to get killed. I know of nowhere where it didn't happen. It would happen here again if the same situation arose.

All sides killed children, women and innocents, willfully and by accident.

Why did that happen? Because society was allowed to degrade to the point that the place went up in flames. And if you read about the period, speech's in HoC, the thoughts of the period's PM's Wilson, Heath, Callaghan etc, they knew what would happen. That is not an excuse by the way, just an explanation for my views.

DIdn't take long did it :-)

When you post fairy tale nonsense people will discuss it.

The PIRA and PSF was just a criminal gang, they had no interest in the Nationalist community, if they did they wouldn't have killed so many, or raped women and children in that community. All been covered up by PSF and the PIRA. Speak out or go to the police and you got killed.

That was the PIRA and PSF. Still today you have people afraid to go to report murders without getting approval from PSF.

So post away, but I think you should read your own post #6094 and take your own advice

Didn't answer the question though. Had they no choice but to target civilians including children? It is a yes or no answer.

The PIRA and PSF was just a criminal gang, they had no interest in the Nationalist community

Honestly, this ^^^is down at the ‘FG are all Blueshirts’ level of debate.
    Funny how many of this ‘criminal gang’ are still working for and representing their communities.

I don’t know is the answer.
    Why would it matter though if they intended it or not, they died on all sides.
    It matters to you because it scratches the itch to blame one side and characterise them as unique.
    They weren’t.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, unequivocally, the evidence demonstrates that the IRA did intentionally target children.

Two examples:

(1) Mullaghmore: This bomb was detonated by remote control, requiring a direct line of sight on the boat. The IRA murderer knew, as he pressed the button, that he was killing children

(2) Warrington: Deliberately confusing bomb warnings were given to ensure that women and children out shopping would be murdered. One of the bombs exploded outside a McDonalds.

This is quite a disgusting revisionist post, attempting to defend and justify the murderers of the PIRA.

There was an alternative, it is what is there now, accept the democratic will of the people of Northern Ireland and not attempt to terrorise them. John Hume and Seamus Mallon, great men, others like Austin Currie too, they didn't fall for the stupid mindless justification of violence that there was "no alternative". They were men of peace, and the true debt of peace is owed to them.

The PIRA achievements were the destruction of their community, the killing of ordinary people and the terrorising of millions. That is all, nothing else.

The PIRA were pure evil, of that there is no doubt. Those that continue to succour and revere and defend them today must be viewed through the same lens.

• Advertisement

I didn't defend a single person or violent incident.

This is the climb onto the higher moral ground that will happen whenever the issue is raised.
    It generally happens when a person refuses to try to understand what happened or why it happened or they are seeking to vindicate one or other of the combatants.

All of them have blame and responsibility in differing ways.

If you could explain rationally and without the emotional finger pointing why the prime responsibility should not fall at the feet of those who had the actual responsibility and power to ensure a society was governed properly and stably, please do.

Advertisement