Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Jack Byrne's deterioration has been spectacular. I really hope he gets back to his previous levels. Perhaps it's due to a combination of mental and physical setbacks; I suspect so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Reckon we might struggle against Galway tonight, with Coyle suspended, Molloy gone, and new signings not able to play until July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

You should be fine tonight.

With the Lincoln lads gone and injuries, I'm not sure if we have a team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I'm also pessimistic about our chances tonight, especially with no Coyle, he really does make the team tick.

Not sure if Griffin is fit to play, but hopefully he is, we need the experience in there with Molloy gone.

Wonder will the President make an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

First goal, if there is one, is huge in this. If we get it we can sit in as we like to do. We are not built to chase games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Ringsend Reds cruising!

Kevin Deery on LoI TV complaining that Drogheda aren't playing 3-4-3 and attacking Derry.

Despite the fact that a deflection and The Rob Harvey Show has them 2-1 up.

We gifted ye two goals and missed an absolute sitter at 1 nil. Pathetic defending for both goals. Shels have been good though, bang at it, fresh, incisive and dangerous going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Fully agree! Shels well worth their lead, but they are two of the softest goals we’ve coughed up all season. Jarvis well on top of Essua, Slevin having a mare before being hauled in.

• Advertisement

Deserved defeat in Derry for us.

Because of injuries and the departure of the Lincoln lads, eight of our nine subs are from our u-20s.

We played with ten men for most of the second half and six of those that finished the game are under twenty.

And yet Kevin Deery, the "expert" on LoI tv, spends most of the second half having a go at Kevin Doherty and the team.

It shouldn't bother me but he is an ex-pro and should know better.

We were pretty good. Guessing it was a bit of an off night for Galway considering their league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Brilliant result from the Blues and up to 3rd!

The fight for the title looks like a 2 horse race now, it could be a brilliant one as well as Shels and Derry are both excellent.

We weren't great and defended so badly for those goals. We had as easy a chance to equalise as you'd get and we let an absolute dope take a penalty and miss it second half, compounded a bad night with a brain dead red at the end too.

Ye were very good first half but either were happy to shut up shop, took the foot off the gas or just weren't as good second half.

I’ll need to see a replay, but it really didn’t look like a pen to me. Yeah we went into game management mode in the 2nd half, which would be standard for us, but it tends to work. Hard to think of any points that we’ve let slip away from us late on this season, although surely we can’t keep doing that 100% of the time

I think Rovers might still win this league. There's a big run coming up from them. They're only going to start getting into their stride from next week I reckon!

Ah come on now. You were running them into the ground relative to us when they were actually winning games haha.

Rovers may well catch us, but if they catch both us and Derry (with only one 6 pointer left for them against each team), that will be a monumental swing and can only take the hat off to them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Rovers are done.

At first I thought it was soft but a glance at the replay and I thought it looked fair enough, could be wrong as it was a glance. Would have been interesting to see how ye reacted if we hadn't butchered it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

That Galway side being so high up the league is one of the main reasons I think the league is of a poor standard this year.

On another note I`d imagine Simon Power is fairly happy tonight, no place for him at Shams and he smashes in a brace against them to knock out any faint lingering hope they had of a title challenge. Astonishingly, as poor as we`ve been we`re in 7th but only 3 points off 4th!

Yeah, it would have made things a lot more nervy, but we’ve been good at managing those nervy moments this season. Kings of 1 goal victories (only our 3rd win tonight by more than a goal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Delighted with that win over a poor Shams side but we still desperately need to get a forward in ASAP with Mata and Smit both gone. Waweru tries but at best he's an option off the bench at PD level. Power is such a quality player at this level and he showed that off the bench. Hope to God he can stay fit for the rest of the season now.

If Pöhls interview with 11freunde over the winter is to be believed he was given the starting job before last season even ended which is shocking from Bradley. That said, there's more issues in the team than just a dodgy keeper.

I was being sarcastic ha, they're finished, no hope they'll get anywhere close to us.

This run that everyone predicted isn't happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

For a nil all the Pats/Bohs game wasn’t too bad. We had the chances to win it. Ruairi Keating header in the first half seemed to be going in until a super save from the keeper. He had a good stop from Brandon Kavanagh late on too. We’re playing better, but need to get some wins.

• Advertisement

It's incredible to think that after we beat you in Drogheda that I thought that we might finish above you. You were that bad!

Russell has certainly turned things around and to have you safe in June is a tremendous achievement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A lot closer than the score line suggested. They missed a sitter and a penalty and I don't recall Shels having too many more opportunities than the ones they took. Good day at the office though that keeps the show on the road.

Shamrock Rovers challenge would seem to be over before it started. The long promised run never materialised and the gap (you would think) is too big now.

They did a small run once or twice from a small slow start. People raving like it's an annual thing. It was never happening this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Bradley doesn’t really have a clue does he? He picked two defenders tonight.

Derry getting annoying now, it must be said, hanging in. They won't catch us, but you'd rather a bigger gap for comfort

• Advertisement

Criticising the lad (in an overall way) who has won the last 4 leagues is a bit mental to me.

You could argue their finances and players were so far ahead for a while, any manager could of done it. They didn't really have a challenger on their level. I wouldn't rate him that highly.

This Shels team is the first team in a few years, with the workrate, organisation and beliefs to take it to them. They've fallen away themselves, but if they hadn't, we'd be bringing a real fight to them. And I think we would beat them at their best over a season, and he'd have been found out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Look at how England are currently playing. They have arguably the best squad in the Euros and they look like a pub team. While its a leg up just because you have the best resources doesn't mean you are guaranteed anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

you could be right but we won’t hear how he expected the team he picked tonight to fit together. I see 2 defenders, 1 striker and 7 midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He benefitted massively from both Dundalk and Cork imploding around the same time which finally, after several years of failing challenge them despite having seemingly infinite resources, let his side fill the vacuum.

I've been saying for years that they can do far better than Stephen Bradley so it's not revisionism. He's one of the most fortunate managers I've ever seen in the league.

Well any half competent manager then. Southgate is abysmal relative to that level

You're actually spot on. Rovers never improved, Dundalk and Cork regressed, and Rovers then became the default top team. The points they've generally accumulated to win the league, was no better than what had them finishing 3rd before. Dundalk were winning the league with far bigger points returns. I looked it up not so long ago, Rovers won the league with an average of 2 point per game or less

I've felt Rovers are overrated myself, the way people go on about them. When we signed Jarvis, I seen absolutely no reason why we couldn't beat them. They're not actually that good, and will drop points regularly, always have.

Only Shels lost momentun in round 2 due to a bug (which had other knock on effects like loss of confidence before people ridicule that, which can be hard to get back and a few key suspensions or injuries) we've nearly won all our games, before it happened, and since we've put it together again. In theory if that didn't happen us in round 2, and we kept our form, we'd be miles ahead. We'd be ahead of Rovers on a good year for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Loose to the Icelandic's in a few weeks and Ray Wilson is going to need to write one hell of a cheque. The entire "project" is a house of cards and it all boils down to betting the farm on European progress. Their academy is no better than Pats or Boh's when you compare the players they've all sold on abroad.

I’m not even saying Bradley is the best out there. I’m happily taking my manager over him and I don’t think it’s close. But I think there’s a level of respect that needs to be put on winning 4 in a row, even if there are some criticisms that can be placed on the competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Exactly this. While Dundalk and Cork had money he was 20 or so points adrift and not closing that gap.

Rovers seem to have also made the Dundalk error of letting a decent squad grow old together without seeing any need to refresh it.

And where are all their academy players?! There's pretty much no-one coming through into the first team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Definitely a 2 horse race for title. And if we can be fortunate with injuries and keep more clean sheets like last night, we can give Shams a serious run for their money for 3rd spot.

We've announced Jimmy Keohane this morning, solid addition hopefully. Gives.us more ability on the ball at least and great experience and know how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

McCormack and Buckley last night looked way past their peak days I'm not exactly convinced Galway need another one from Caulfield's former Cork lineage now going well into their 30's

McCormack has been good this season, better than I expected. Last night they were all way off it. Buckley has been disappointing but he got injured in the opening game and only came back into the squad mid May. We miss Borden in midfield, he covers ground and his positioning is important.

Could possibly play Keohane where Hurley is playing, he's had a really poor season and his horrendous miss last night epitomised it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

Gave Tommie Gorman a great send off last night. He'd have enjoyed that.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Sold for big fees eg Bazunu who got Rovers 3 million as well as lads sold to Italy and current first teamers like Noonan and O Sullivan. New Shels fans can gloat and enjoy their success, lads like myself and mates who have followed Rovers for 50 years know success is cyclical, we’ll always be there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Kind of defeats the point selling players off at 16 while the first team is floundering though. The habit on the continent is to blood players in the first team, get some playing benefit from them, develop them further (ideally including a couple of international caps) and sell them on at 21/22 for much bigger fees.

Rovers, for all their big investment in an academy, are a long way off that, and it's impacting their first team. O'Sullivan has one start in his career; if he's an example worth flagging then it kind of backs up my point.

UCD have probably gotten more practical benefit out of Rovers' academy than Rovers have over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

2 nil win was a great way to get back after the break but jesus we were shaky at times, especially first half. If Dundalk had been a bit better in front of goal we'd have been in big trouble. Hopefully get some reinforcements in now with the window about to open and really make a push for Europe

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk wouldn’t score in Leeson Street.
    what we learned last night; it’s a two team race at both the top and bottom. One,if not both the Louth teams will be in the first division next year,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement