Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

To be fair Biden was in reasonably good shape when in Ireland which was just before he announced he was running again.

But like many people of his age, a mental and physical decline can happen fairly rapidly.

Still think a dementia affected Biden would be a better option than Trump, or do less damage. Trump has shown a willingness to abandon allies at the drop of a hat, and encouraged the Russians to attack countries who don't spend big on defence. That's hardly the sign of someone who'd get tough on Putin. And that's just foreign policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Former US president Trump didn't change anyone's opinion of him but US president Biden did, and not for the better.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

There is the not insignificant matter of campaign funds for consideration, only Biden or Harris can use them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The Democrats really need to get Biden to step aside if they want to win the election , he's clearly not well.It's close to elder abuse asking him to go through this campaign and being president.

Nothing wrong with him that many other people of his age don't suffer with but people of his age tend to be at home watching cash in the attic and countdown and spending time with their grandkids not being president of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well if America is actually daft enough to vote Trump I guess it'll give Alec Baldwin/SNL a career resurgence.

Be funny to watch for any and all non-Americans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Get rid of biden and put in RFK Jr....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

He wont step aside. Biden. Not his nature.

At the moment it looks like Trump will win but a long way to go. Don't despair yet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I get to use this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

He was me arse.

The man has been a hollow shell for years.

That's the point.

The Dem party want a mannequin, not a functioning human as POTUS.

Can't rule by committee when you have a strong leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That odd solo shadow debate thing he had last night peaked at 10 million viewers on X which was more than the cnn live stream and the video of it is currently at 7 million views. Jill Stein done something similar but not sure how successful that was for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

This is why age limits need to be set. For me it should be 70. Ageist, there's already a minimum age requirement so no reason there's not a maximum age limit. The same goes for their Congress and Senate too. McConnell and Feinstein were so clearly unfit for office at their later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The US parties would never set an age limit, too many of them would lose their jobs.

There probably should be age and term limits (age being national retirement age + 10 or something like it).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Man I wish he'd speak like this about Israel and Gaza.

If he did he'd have a proper legacy to be proud of as president and not just the guy who isn't trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I haven't seen the debate, but by all accounts he showed himself up very badly.

When I heard that I asked myself (but of course I had had already been wondering) - if he is mentally incapable, who is running the USA? And more specifically, in relation to your post - who is making the decisions regarding the current genocide in Palestine that the USA is supporting so strongly?

Like many others here, I have seen videos of smarmy spokespersons for the White House lie and lie again about what is going on in Gaza. (perhaps other spokespersons do the same regarding other issues, but I haven't seen them) - but who is telling them what to say? who is making the decisions that should be made by the President (and not just in relation to Palestine)?

Is there actually a conspiracy involved where a cohort of out of control "advisers" are collectively acting in lieu of the President who is essentially incapable of carrying out his duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭threeball

The Democrats really fcuked up selecting Harris as VP. She has been an absolute no mark for 4 years. The most invisible VP in my lifetime.

By generating no profile and doing nothing of decernable value in that time she is now not a viable option to step in to the breech to take on Trump in November. They knew this day was coming and did nothing to prepare. Biden seems like a decent guy whos had his fair share of tragedy in his life but has always struggled with a stammer and that was going to become more of an issue as he aged. Last night seemed to be more than that and I hope his family have the good sense to talk him out of continuing in the race.

There's no real alternative to replace him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His firm commitment on supporting the Israeli fight against totalitarianism was one of his few cogent moments. Ultimately there is more than a spat in the Middle East and the few moments it was discussed where all that needed to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He always had a stammer but he didn't stammer last night.

Harris was a sop to the activists in the party, her primary campaign should have been enough to finish her at even local political level, instead she ticked the boxes for rich kids and was made veep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

SOP to the activists? She's firmly from the Neo-liberal school of Conservative Lite that dominate the Democratic leadership. Nothing about her history would suggest she's progressive in anyway. She's also generally pretty unlikable on a personal level imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭political analyst

This footage from the immediate aftermath of the debate shows how serious the decline in Biden's cognitive abilities is - unless Alex Jones is exceptionally good at creating deepfakes.

https://x.com/RealAlexJones/status/1806701676142694810

• Registered Users Posts: 19,163 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Between Trump and Biden, who would you vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

The conspiracy head in me would say that such an early debate and such a poor performance, with a previously unheard of totally open fear amongst Democrats actually talking about his mental faculties, wasn't completely unplanned by the DNC.

I really feel like left-wing media could have had Republicans talking about Biden's performance for all those hours afterwards, but across the board, they seemingly went with long-term Democrats who all started talking about the same thing, "he failed his one job which was to convince America he was fit to lead another term" and "there are high up Democrats, elected officials, who are seriously concerned". This just days after any talk like this was branded as "cheap fakes" and "MAGA conspiracies" by the same people.

He hasn't indicated that he will step down so now the entire focus is back on supporting him with an across-the-board message that his rally afterwards was a different man. I'm not sure how well this can work because it seems to be based on voters forgetting all of their interactions with old people, and what having good and bad days means.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The measure of a VP is that they should be invisible , but in Harris's case there are enough blooper reels to demonstrate that she is totally vacuous and not up to the job

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They will have to support Biden, they cant pivot now or it would make them look dishonest, its better than any Hollywood plot though

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Of course they can. Selection isn't til August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It was funny reading all the people saying Biden was fine when you could tell they didn't even believe it themselves.

After that even the greatest liars couldnt continue on with that nonsense.

Trump will win because they are running a man who the world can see is not well.

The poor chap should be in a nursing home and it's unfair on him to be putting him through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've noticed all the people who consistently say that Biden is fine and it's all a maga conspiracy are conspicuously absent since last night, for the most part. They certainly aren't still saying that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watched the entire thing yesterday on Youtube (thank you WSJ). Simply put, Biden isn't up to it. It's not even a question.

The confused rambling, awkward silences (mumble..mumble..errrr…freeze…"we beat medicare") and even Trump taking a shot at him ("I don't know what he just said and I don't think he does either") all highlight a man who is just too old to continue. It's gone past being funny even. It's disturbing and abusive at this stage.

There's no shame in recognising that. I'm definitely no fan of either of them politically, but Trump (for all his random nonsense) is clearly strong, lucid and confident as an individual. Unless the Dems replace Biden NOW with someone the party and country can get behind (unlikely though it is at this late stage) they are basically handing Trump a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

well the maga base in the media were also saying Biden was on amphetamines so it’s difficult to believe anything said by them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to love the music if nothing else! Jokes aside though that's a shocking indication of just how bad things are with the man.

Advertisement