Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

This would be my take on it too. Basically, we have to get real, up the stakes, take the fight to Putin and finish it, once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭zv2

I was interpreting his post, not endorsing him. From the link you posted:

"NATO Headquarters. I held a meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg. The key focus was on preparations for the NATO Washington Summit. We expect decisions to enhance the Alliance's role in coordinating security assistance and training for Ukrainian troops, as well as long-term financial commitments to ensure stable support for Ukraine."

Which is what I said, vis-a-vis security.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Virgil°

https://unn.ua/en/news/zelensky-wants-to-submit-to-the-second-peace-summit-a-detailed-plan-of-steps-for-each-of-the-crises-brought-by-the-war

Here's the actual quote:

Now we need to develop a detailed plan of detailed steps regarding all the crises that Putin's war has brought to our country. We have months to come up with this plan, we don't have much time. We have many wounded, killed both military and civilians. So we don't want this war to last for years. Therefore, we should prepare this plan and put it on the negotiating table at the second Peace Summit,

He adds:

Asked whether "there is any request, negotiations with Russia after the summit," Zelenskyy replied: "I do not have any dialog with them.

This literally couldn't be further from Zelensky about to throw in the towel to Russia in 2 months. Although he is pointing out that Ukraine won't hold out forever. I somehow doubt they'll be able to pull off another mobilization. So Russia being allowed drag out this war for another 5 years at the current tempo isn't something that Ukraine can afford. Even if they somehow won at the end of that there may not be much left of Ukraine afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I didn't watch the American presidential debate during the night but looking at the write up from sky news it seems it was a disaster for Joe Biden. If they thought that I am sure a lot of Americans thought that and especially Americans on the fence on who to vote for. The debate was closely watched across all of Europe/Ukraine and Russia and I say its given a lot of anxiety in most places but I say those in the Kremlin were extremely happy. B

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And so are the local Putin simps hoping he'll save them from a kicking in their custody battles.

• Advertisement

One more down-

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm not sure they would.

What has changed? NATO is a defensive alliance and Ukraine is not a member.

It is however very alarming that an Asian country is effectively invading a European country. Expect a ramping up of support, including also hopefully South Korean support.

North Korea is probably one of the few countries who are actually OK with using their military as cannon fodder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

There's another tide that's turning, and not in Putin's favour. The Russian tide. He doesn't have endless amounts of time, and as they say, a week can be an awful long time in politics. He's facing challenges not only from the republics but also in Moscow St. Petersburg. Because of the manpower shortage, he's come up with the bright idea of making every one work longer hours inc. Saturday, but without any extra pay. Plus, the city infrastructure is being eroded due to lack of funds / maintenance. Trams going of the rails, bridges collapsing, dams breaking, underground water systems exploding etc. If Muscovites thought last winter was bad, they will have another opener this coming winter. Then we have the mobilisation that was not needed, according to Putins pre -election manifesto, but has been going on nevertheless, the quiet one, but going full steam ahead in the background. Russians are becoming more and more outspoken about the regime than they were formerly, its quite common now to see U tube Vids with people speaking out about their grievances, and if still not outright blaming Putin by name, they are still blaming him and his government. He's sailing very choppy waters….and so are his Silovicki and Oligarchs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It does look like Trump will win so Europe has to ramp up support massively.

While this may not be very easy, it is essential if we want European security. There is no alternative. Ireland needs to get real and start to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,643 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

After last nights performance, I'd say so. Now they both did sh1te, but Biden just came off completely and utterly clueless.

This is not good for Ukraine or for Europe. You'd wonder if the plan to send troops into Western Ukraine should be greatly sped up.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

You may be disappointed in what was actually said. It doesn't appear to be what you rushed to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭denismc

Lasts nights debate was terrible,Trump just stood there and spouted nonsense and Biden failed to call him out on it.

Its obvious now that Biden is not fit to run.

While it's unprecedented I wouldn't be surprised if Biden withdraws before the Democratic nomination in August and is replaced by someone more capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Who do you think would be the contenders?

Hilary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭denismc

I'm not sure, Harris doesn't seem to have broad appeal, Gavin Newsom has been mentioned and there are a few others I'm not familiar with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pritzker gets some press being the gov. of Illinois and 'moderate.' Amy Klobuchar might have midwest appeal. I think "Mayor Pete" Buttegieg would make a good POTUS.

But this is a discussion that should have taken place a couple years ago. If Biden steps aside, its a disaster for Ukraine as the GQP will feel empowered to be obstructive. And for Europe. Not as big a disaster as if CFTrump wins, but not good. The EU and Ireland really should ramp up it's military readiness, CFTrump has threatened to abandon it and tariff it's goods coming into America. Just an existential disaster for the West should CFTrump get elected again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://x.com/BrennpunktUA/status/1806455014149235028

More good news for Ukraine, Kaja Kallas is likely to be the EU Foreign Minister and Estonians really hate Russia

It is always possible for Kamala Harris to get in the driving seat once he is elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

he won’t be elected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just going off what I heard on the radio this morning but it was also suggested that Gretchen Whitmer would be a good alternative Democrat candidate if Biden can be convinced it is better to let someone else run in his place. She is from Michigan which I think was referred to as a battleground state so a win there for her could be significant in winning the election.

The point was made as well that Trump did not come across very well either with his unpleasant character showing and numerous blatant lies highlighted during the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Kamala who?

Seems like she disappeared after the 2020 election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Europe's militaries are so degraded that ramping up for 10 years time would be an achievement.

Across most of Europe the will just isn't there.

I think rearmament and preparation for future conflict is the most important issue facing Europeans today, by some distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I can certainly understand (pre-Russian Invasion) why Europe's main focus wasn't continuing to arm like during the cold war.

It always seems to go back to artillery, What was it you said, Germany hope to field 1000 field guns by 2030? And you said they would last a few months in a war with Russia? I don't even think Ukraine has lost that much in over 2 years fighting.

It always puzzled me, European countries with nuclear weapons, cruise missiles, submarines, aircraft carries, stealth fighters… having to rely on plain aul artillery. What kind of war would they be facing and against whom? Some post apocalypse Russia?

EMP fried all the tech so we're back to WWI tactics?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Artillery is considered the "King of Battle" for a reason. It has a far greater impact on shaping the battlefield at division level and below than any other system in the miltary arsenal and that's in a maneuver-centric miltary like the US. (And frankly, few nations in the West have anything higher than division level capability anyway).

Apparently a lot of orders were placed at Eurosatory last week. Not so much because the militaries in question felt that the equipment on offer was absolutely what they wanted, but because they realized that if they didn't order anything now, it would be many years before they could order anything at all. There is basically the miltary production equivalent of a bank rush going on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think a distinction has to be drawn between artillery as a whole and basic unguided 152/155 artillery shells because Russia is constantly trying to suggest that they are better because they produce more of the latter.

However, the current war in Ukraine has shown that precision long range fires are far more important and can successfully disrupt logistics and prevent rapid advances.

It would be nice to see either cheaper production of the current precision fires like GMLRS and excalibur (or even precision guidance kits) due to scale etc, or some cheaper alternative generally that isnt as capable but does a similar job. The GLSDB was such a proposal but it is unclear how successful its been.

But the key point is that Russia is gearing up to produce millions of unguided shells every year and there are calls for US/EU to do likewise. I think it would be a mistake to fall into this trap, when precision long range fires are the real threat to Russia and should be prioritised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

"I
    think it would be a mistake to fall into this trap, when precision long
    range fires are the real threat to Russia and should be prioritised."

The losses of putin's artillery systems have consistently been very high in recent weeks with the Ukrainians clearly having identified good ways of eliminating them. They claim to have knocked out another 57 yesterday. I remember a post about a soldier that came from Ireland having knocked out three artillery systems himself in one day using FPV drones and I would not be surprised if these play a role in making traditional artillery less effective on the battlefield so I agree it would be a mistake for the EU to simply copy what putin's military are doing. All the ammunition in the world is of little use if the means to deliver them to targets are destroyed as soon as they become active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Putin administration must be delighted and also feeling justified at the apparent decadence at the core of one of their big opponents. The weakness of them that they can only put up these two elderly pensioners for the highest office in the state. Don't be surprised if Vlad starts lecturing us on the final years of the Roman empire.

Advertisement