Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The risk for Democrats is that they would contrive to push a terrible candidate again, over a more popular one. Force Harris on everyone or the like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jesus, that was brutal. By "that", I mean watching the latest Daily Show clip. I've never seen Biden that bad before. He's still the best candidate of the two but… I don't know.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's no coming back for Biden surely after that. The questions about his ability will just multiply and multiply from here.

Trump's lies were outrageous - unhinged - but it says it all that they aren't the main story.

Pretty grim stuff overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

**** disaster for Biden and the Democrats.

One cant express in strong enough words just how bad that was.

They need to replace him as the nominee in the next 24-48 hours.

They probably won't as the Dems are chicken ****.

This is even more serious given analysts are now predicting more instability in the world, as the likes or Iran, Putin, and China may take advantage of Biden's weakness and American instability.

Trump is Trump. He will lie all the way to the WH. His base will always vote for him.

Biden though, people will just stay away.

I expect Poll numbers to come through over the weekend that will cement the fact, that if they don't replace Biden, Trump is a dead cert for a 2nd term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is no way in which Trump is not delighted with last night.

As for a trap by the Democrats. They come off really badly from this, no matter how well it plays out for them.

It had done serious damage to them and their brand and will cost them seats in Congress and Senate in November..

They are scrambling to get a candidate to win in November, a candidate who will have known exactly as everyone in American politics did how bad Biden had deteriorated over the last few years and still went along with it.

It certainly was orchestrated by the Democrats but purely because Bidens pace of determination means he can't fluff it till re-election, which was the hope.

Always going to sink.

I suspect this was done on purpose by the Biden team to see if Biden was up to it.

They got their answer. Maybe it was a way to convince Biden himself to step down.

They still have time to correct it, but they need to move this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I think people are giving the democrats too much credit, believing last night was an intentional ploy by them to move Biden on is a stretch at best, the cold hard truth is last night was more than likely down to their constant poor decision making and backing of a man who clearly isn't able anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Biden doesnt seem like a person who would voluntarily withdraw from the race or move aside. I presume this is very unusual in American history for a sitting president to not seek re-election? I only recall LBJ doing that and his last minute replacement was destroyed by Nixon.

Trump does well with voters on the economy, standard of living and safety.

America has become a much more violent and harder place to make ends under Joe's boom.

That's what will re-elect Trump, that Joe Biden is no longer aware he is President is just another plank.

The above doesn't mean Trump is great but purely down to the incredible distance now between the Democrats and most average Americans. Enough that a Billionaire is the electable alternative.

• Advertisement

Iran, Putin and China have been taking advantage of Biden's weakness for a long time now, it's not as if their own security services didnt have a full understanding of his condition years ago..

It was obvious years ago in his eyes and movements, to those who have seen it up close.

In a way it adds nothing extra to the mix, just that it is now publicly undeniable. The same people who have been calling the shots or fluffing on issues are still doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

Does anyone believe that Biden or Trump ever ran the USA anyway,currently it's Blinken and team,it would be very naive to think otherwise

Plenty of Print around to substantiate that,not least from Trumps former security advisor John Bolton,whom I had the accidental pleasure of meeting in Korea last March

Nixon won because Bobby Kennedy was assassinated. If he'd lived, I think he would've thumped Nixon.

There's enough time for another candidate to be nominated. Trump has a terrible record, is a felon, and is in obvious mental decline. They'd walk it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

….not as serious mental decline as biden though….

Trump couldn't string together a single coherent sentence last night. Biden was able to formulate and articulate policy concepts. They're worlds apart

trump is more coherent though, bidens in dreadful state, two dreadful candidates, tis a very worrying state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In fairness it makes sense why Putin preferres Biden over Trump

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

He's coherent in the same way Alex Jones is, spewing steam of consciousness nonsense, disconnected from any theme or grounding in reality

we know this, but enough american citizens simply dont care, believe the sun literally does come from his arse, plenty of irish into him to, and think the same, the dems just cant get it together, if they even had a half decent candidate, theyd easily win, but they wont….

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Trump is 8/15 to win and Biden is 4/1. The Democrats need to do something very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say by next weekend, Biden will had stepped back from running and even though he is sitting President, will rarely be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Trump lovers don't matter. The Trump haters don't matter. Their votes are set in stone regardless of what happens.

The people that matter are that small grouping of low information voters in 6 or so swing states. They are exactly the kind of people who don't consume much politics in any form because, frankly, they have no interest in it. They'll vote out of a sense of duty and it's these people who poltitical ads are designed for.

The one piece of politics content that those people will often make the effort to watch are the TV debates. That is why this was so devastating for Biden. This was his big chance to show them that the senile old man that they may have inadvertently seen in clips on tik-tok was not the reality.

People like that are now very likely to side with Trump because they'll reason that he at least seems to have his wits about him even if he is a self serving, narcissistic crook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Jill Biden giving a long speech to introduce Biden at his North Carolina rally, she's becoming more and more prominent on the campaign trail. She's basically replacing his speaking role.

Evidently being done to limit Biden's speaking role whilst also trying to tap into Melania absence on Trump's campaign trail.

It could backfire though. Already commentators starting to ask whether it's Joe or Jill going for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was shocked at how bad Biden was last night, what are the Democrats thinking putting him forward again. Unfortunately I see Trump winning this election and the thought of another 4 years of President Trump is very depressing. These are the two worst US Presidential candidates I’ve ever seen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

is this a joke? Trump absolutely idolises Putin. He’ll do anything to keep him happy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

What is a loving spouse going to do but step up to help her partner.

When the man in the most powerful job in the world has his wife praise him as "well done, you answered all the questions", she meant well, it was an achievement given their lived daily reality but it was just depressing that it was in a public spectacle and that even just being aware enough to answer was praiseworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Who have the democrats got though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

They don't really though.

No indication she wants the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Joe is predictable is the point, Trump seems like it could be ultimatums and what not

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement