Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options
1126112621263126412651267»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A perfect example of why so many American politicians fear criticising Israel happened last night.

Jamal Bowman defeated one of the biggest pro-Israel Democrats (Eliot Engels) in a primary in 2020 and has spoken candidly about Israel and their actions ever since.

AIPAC went after him big time in this primary this cycle, pumping so much money ($15m) into the campaign that it broke the record for a House primary election. They were ultimately successful. He will now be replaced by another Israel can do no wrong Democrat.

That will put the frighteners on every other politician on Capital Hill when it comes to standing up for Palestinians.

AIPAC combined with the ludicrous Citizens United supreme court ruling gives Israel free reign to do this kind of action. One of the many ways that American democracy is deeply flawed (See also: partisan redistricting, voter suppression, the overwhelming use of first past the post).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What evidence do we have? Are you ignoring the census bureau data that shows 4-5 times the normal amount of weapons were exported to israel by the USA from January-April 2024. I think you are.

I've never said he has not delayed deliveries, paused deliveries or withheld specific weapons, but there are still deliveries were still regular exports up until the end of april 2024.

Give us some detail for once instead of endless link dumps with no context and something to actually back up your claims that Biden has done anything remotely significant or impactful to reign in Netanyahu and Israel. Sanctioned settlers, a few soundbites and the May pause on delivery of very specific but not all weapons. You need to learn to comprehend that it is specific weapons and stop trying to move the goalposts,

In some of your link dumps, there are things to contradict some of your claims too

BIDEN absolutly deserves criticism. That you can't accept that is a reflection on you and nobody else. And I'm not blaming him for all of this, I'm not saying he has sole responsibility to prevent it. But he has been wholly ineffective and poor as he is trying to save his own political skin.

So what if it means he wins in November. If he can't be stronger on Israel and still beat Trump, he's an even worse president than I'd have given him credit for. He's the best of a very poor pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Indeed, but this is also one of the situations where there should be proof positive, and there’s no positive proof, and a lot of posturing and bluster (from republicans, Likud, etc) that things are being slowed down or delayed or not showing up - some claims indicating as long as December this has been going on for.

And, not once did I say he didn’t deserve any criticism or that his administration didn’t deserve any - you’d find my first post in this thread concerned a fiery rant against Blinken and his “ten 9/11s” commentary which, predictably, preluded greater than 10 fallujahs worth of reaction from Israel.

Let’s be precise with criticism though, previous users debasing the discussion to over the top nicknames for Biden without being checked on it by anyone else is not due criticism, and has only the effect of campaigning for his rival - someone who was and will, demonstrably, be worse for the Palestinians that Biden ever has been.

What’s in my linkdumps TM are again also hearsay, you are quick to call out taking Biden at his word but again as I stated, ambassadors aren’t truth sayers either. And I provided context for the links I put up, it’s not accurate to claim I didn’t.

Deserving criticism is a two way street with deserving credit when it is equally due. We seem to overlap in that there has definitely been a suspension of arms flow since at least April if not earlier.

If he wins in November AIPAC will have considerably less leverage and Biden will have considerably more leverage over Israel

And, this is precisely the political problem that is or will target Biden over the next few months. In March Politico reported AIPAC “uncorks” $100M to unseat unfavorable politicians, not just Bowman. There will be more where that came from. Politico also reported a few weeks ago that AIPAC has now become the single largest GOP donor org into Democratic primaries. “Nearly half of AIPAC donors to Democratic candidates this year have a history of giving to Republican campaigns or committees.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/03/aipac-israel-spending-democratic-primaries-00144552#:~:text=AIPAC%20uncorks%20%24100%20million%20war,more%20of%20them%20this%20time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/09/aipac-republican-donors-democratic-primaries-00162404

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There seems to be more talk now about an offensive against Hezbollah then there is on the ceasefire deal.

I think biden announced a very under cooked ceasefire deal, nearly over a month ago now, and it seems to be dying a slow death.

I can't see anything changing with Bibi so I think the only hope is that Biden is put under pressure the closer it gets to the Democratic National Convention.

• Advertisement

And how many more thousands will be dead in November. There were opportunities not necessarily to stop this, but to make meaningful action and make it as hard as possible for Israel to cause the destruction and death they have and it wasn't done.

You keep getting very childish at any criticism of Biden with meme trump replies and it's not just those with childish nicknames. It's those who are looking at the complete and utter lack of action of any meaningful kind to in anyway put a stop on Israel leveling Gaza. That's the problem. He absolutely deserves every bit of criticism coming his way. He has been poor at handling this from his end.

What is in your linkdunps you are posting repeat as they are fact. This is the first time you've bothered rowing back on it. So you don't get to demand proof when you are as guilty of offering questionable evidence and little to no data and when you are hand selecting parts of journalism pieces to suit your line.

Either look at it all honestly or don't bother.

Post edited by Weepsie on

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Balagan1

There are very recent updates re arms etc., this evening. Look 'em up. Don't want to post a link as some won't trust it and anyway, it will be denied by one side or the other very soon.

Maybe move on from the issue anyway as few know the reality. And rain is coming tomorrow over much of Ireland but maybe not over the Bog of Allen. A chance this evening for an extra walk for the dog.

Ah I see that now. Biden still sending arms. Misunderstanding on netanyahus part.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is a poor copout for burden of proof.

Nothing has changed today from what has already been discussed here, other than more flapping of gums. "significant progress" TM, "worked through misunderstandings" TM "real progress" TM according to "a senior administration official" TM but no approved deliveries, or sales, or received shipments, or any official statement with a WH name attached to it, or from State.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/concluding-meetings-gallant-hails-significant-progress-in-resolving-us-arms-holdup/

https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/israel-hamas-war-gaza-US/?id=111357096

The only thing that changed today is Biden approved an arms shipment (ghasp!) worth $360M (GHASP!) For Taiwan (oh.) as officiated by State Department:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-approves-new-300-million-arms-sale-taiwan-111238091

Please, don't make excuses for not having proof for claims made.

In the above link the language suggests weapons are still being sent

And in the aljazeera link it's a bit more specific on what is not being sent.ao maybe let's put to bed the notion that America is not sending weapons once and for all just because it's not sending some very specific ones

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/6/26/gallants-us-trip-strengthens-potential-challenge-to-israels-netanyahu

• Advertisement

It shouldn't really come to a shock to anyone that out of the two men Bibi is lying. He is trying to make Biden look bad with pro Israel voters to help his mate Trump.

There is no way in hell that Biden, an ardent Israel supporter for decades is going to be in secret slowing down arms to them. It is not in his character and wouldn't make sense for someone whose primary objective is to get re-elected. Biden hasn't suddenly grown a conscience.

I'm not disputing that supply has slowed down, I'm disputing that weapons are not sent at all. Some weapons are not being sent anymore, or for the time being, chiefly 2000 and 500lb dumb bombs, but others are

If Bidens team is going line by line on arms shipments with the Israelsi I think that diminishes the idea that Bibi was being accurate at all. Will be interesting to see what public statements are made by both parties next.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/26/politics/us-arms-shipments-israel/index.html

This is the important part of the article. Which is basically what I had been saying. Specific weapons are not being shipped as of May. The rest is as normal. So the us are still arming Israel. We'll have a but more info when export data is updated for May, and that will be nd of next wweek or early the week after. But once again, it's putting to bed one posters continued claims that they have not been sending weapons/arming Israel

The US has paused one shipment of weapons to Israel, which includes 500-pound and 2000-pound bombs over concerns to the potential for civilian casualties if such weapons were used in densely populated areas in Gaza.

“We paused that one shipment,” Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said at a press briefing on Monday. “Everything else continues to flow on schedule as normal. It is not diminished.”

• Registered Users Posts: 51,710 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

After the Iraq debacle with the Weapons of mass Destruction I find it impossible to believe anything the US states. It is easy to say that you're not supplying weapons while doing it covertly anyway.

Well generally Congress has to be notified. There is an exception for things such as the massive stockpile of weapons already in Israel and maintained since he 1960s.

Lyndon B. Johnson said he wouldn't or maybe shouldn't export weapons and did it anyway so it's not like it would be a new thing to do the thing you know is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

US officials went line-by-line through arms shipments to Israel with defense minister to rebut Netanyahu’s delay claim

“We paused that one shipment,” Pentagon press secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said at a press briefing on Monday. Everything else continues to flow on schedule as normal. It is not diminished.”

A certain poster here could have the most enlightening moment of his adult life if he could stand back and realise that for the last few days, he's been engaging in the exact head-in-the-sand and denial of reality behaviour he believes only Trump supporters engage in.

The next step is telling himself that of course these weapons shipments were happening, but it's the US government, and Congress, and the Pentagon, and Trump, and everyone else that make them happen, and it has nothing to do with Biden whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

“We have fought in the Israeli courts for years against this as most of the village is under threat of demolition and they have done this before,” said Eid Suleiman, a resident. “But they came this time without telling our lawyer. We didn’t have time to collect our belongings.

“We have put up some tents to keep the children cool in the heat. But we are afraid the soldiers will come back and take those too because they say we are building illegally.”

Masafer Yatta, a collection of shepherding hamlets including Umm al-Kheir, is located in area C, the sparsely populated 60% of the West Bank under full Israeli control. Palestinian infrastructure in the area is frequently demolished on the grounds that the residents do not have building permits, which are nearly impossible to obtain, while surrounding illegal Israeli settlements flourish. UN experts have said such demolitions can be considered war crimes.

Just another day in the West Bank. Lives ruined by colonialist theft of land. All supported by the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Odhinn

More on the above -

" Through cooperation and collaboration among the military, police,
    settlers and the Jordan Valley Regional Council, Israel has reduced
    grazing areas available to Palestinians, blocked regular water supply
    and took measures to isolate the Jordan Valley from the rest of the West
    Bank.

This policy is nothing new. Israel has been undermining these communities’ subsistence
    for decades, in part, by denying Palestinians’ access to nearly 80% of
    the Jordan Valley declared as firing zones, nature reserves or the
    municipal area of settlements."

https://www.btselem.org/video/202403_israel_has_ramped_up_efforts_to_displace_shepherding_communities_in_the_northern_jordan_valley_since_7_october#full

• Registered Users Posts: 51,710 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Odhinn

'a beacon of freedom', 'the light of freedom' etc. You occasionally wonder what it is that some people are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Interesting article that sheds light on how Hamas has been able to sustain their war effort despite what looks like a complete blockade.

If Israel can secure the territory beneath the Philadelphi Corridor that's already under their control, they will be able to do a lot of harm to Hamas.

Yet instead they just bomb the **** out of hospitals, refugee camps and civilians. If they really really wanted to root out and destroy them then they should have been looking at the supply line and the leaders in Qatar, but no they just decided to butcher ordinary Palestinians because they get away witg it

Advertisement