Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know why its obvious, the Russians think Trump would be unpredictable, cant say it simpler

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Putin invaded Ukraine under Obama and Biden.

The unpredictability of Trump is actually a deterrent even though he was the least war-mongering US president in decades. The way people talk in here is so far removed from Trump's actual foreign policy when president.

Why is it so hard to accept simple facts like "crazy man dangerous". People will call him an unhinged maniac and then a second later, deny that that could ever impact how America's enemies act.

perfect summary , it worked before on Putin, im not too sure it would work a second time , but even Trump said, he only needs to be believed 10% for it to work

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So I'm looking back at page 15 and a series of posts beginning "Biden is going to destroy Trump in the debate tonight."

There is a particular section by Quinn_Dub as follows.

"They've have spent his entire Presidency telling the world that he is this doddering old fool that doesn't know where he is or what time it is etc. etc.

And when he comes out and is perfectly fine and competent and can answer questions and speak to policy fairly well he blows all that out of the water."

This bit in particular, and the series of four or five posts in general, did not age well and I believe is symptomatic of current US politics. It cannot be said that the evidence was not there or that it had not been brought up before, after all, "they have spent his entire Presidency telling the world..." However, because the sources tend to not be approved of by the listeners, the evidence is ignored, and even if it is accepted as a valid source, not believed. Negative confirmation bias at play.

Of course, positive confirmation bias is equally at play on the other side ("I want to believe..."), this is merely evidence that one side is just as irrational as the other.

The Trump side problem is a little different, though, in that there are fewer denials of the portrayal of Trump as a lying blowhard. In their case, in large part they accept it, they just don't think it's all that important in the larger scheme of things, a trend which was identified 8 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think it's a major downturn for any democracy if the choice is between Trump and Biden. For many neither candidate would actually be a choice.

the Dem media will need to ask a lot of questions, they arent stupid (in the low IQ sense) but they will need to ask what their place in the world is? , this wouldnt have happened in the 80's , there are clips going around of Reagan being grilled on mental decline issues by the media

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A lot of Americans I've met who have opted to live in Europe always consider the Democrats the lesser of two evils.

Coming from multi-party system, it's hard to truly grasp how that sinks into society, despite the optics of third parties in the US. We often consider a vote to be overt support given our relative wealth of choice; over there a vote is often tactical (who do I dislike the least). If I were American, I'd regularly vote Democrat to keep the Republicans out as opposed to agreeing with their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I lost interest in US politics 2 decades ago but I have to say their political system is completely dysfunctional. That performance from Biden was worrying even though I am pretty sure he is handled by the White House staff. Money decides policy as always. You'd have to wonder who really is in charge. Trump of course is a cretin.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

A question asked, who is running America? quite a scary one,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Ever noticed, every US election is about the same subjects:

1st: Healthcare / Abortion / Gun Ownership / Immigration

2nd: Gay rights and maybe the economy and foreign politics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And by doing so you keep the system going but by not doing so, you enable a Nazi to take over the Whitehouse. It's lose-lose.

It's a bit like the UK where the system is horrifically out of date but without the excuse of being many centuries old. It has also largely produced stable government most of the time. All this election has done is to show the system as it truly is: Two very old white men in the most diverse country there is vying for office in an anti-democratic system that nobody ever questions.

American expats are such rare beasts that their opinion is worthless. Most Americans support the current system to the point where changing it fundamentally is not even discussed. Heck, slavery is still legal in some instances, as is the death penalty. It's so primitive and backwards but I'm probably going beyond the purview of the thread now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

you could have just said “Trump is more unpredictable”

instead of “Joe is predictable is the point, Trump seems like it could be ultimatums and what not”

But anyway, he isn’t. Trump is very predictable, especially for the Russians.

they/them/theirs

you mean his foreign policy of “bombing the ****” out of countries and deleting the statistics?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I was listening to a podcast there and Biden cannot be ousted against his will. That is because the delegates that are pledged to him (by virtue of him winning the various primaries earlier this year) are legally his. So if he is determined to continue then he will be nominated at the convention and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

If, on the other hand, he decides not to seek re-election then there are two paths:

1. He asks his delegates to nominate someone in his place, most likely Kamala Harris. Since the delegates are all Biden loyalists it is likely that they would accede to his wishes
    2. He doesn't ask his delegates to vote for anyone in particular and "releases" them. That then would lead to a contested convention where anyone would be free to thrown their hat in the ring and attempt to win a majority of delegates. If nobody could do that after the first round of voting then it becomes a brokered convention and an additional number of delegates (the super delegates….2008 flashbacks anyone?) also get to vote.

After Tuesday night's catastrophe I don't think Biden can win. I also don't think Harris can win so I'm hoping for the contested convention.

None of that can happen though without Joe Biden being persuaded that he has no path to victory. Seeing both Bill Clinton and Barak Obama tweet out their support for him last night does not make me confident that that's going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

You must not follow soccer. The amount of times managers have been sacked a day or two after the board announce their "unequivocal backing" of the manager is widely known.

Of course they publicly had to say that. Behind the scenes would be a very different story I suspect.

the opposite, you simply dont know what Trump would do to shake the sandbox, Biden would be more predictable

When it comes to Russia Trump is entirely predictable. He’ll lie down like an overly friendly labradoodle and ask Putin to scratch his belly.

Trump has never even attempted to stand up to Putin. He’s expressed nothing but admiration for him in fact.

they/them/theirs

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They surely won't want to be seen as pushing him out.

Biden can't win. The damage of last week Tuesday will be up with the Kennedy Nixon debate for longevity of cultural reference.

And that is before the next episode and the next …

Harris would probably do worse than Biden.

What is the story with funding, is that tied to him alone.

Surely there are legal and political fudges around these. The American legal system has is a flexible creature.

Too impaired to do the job or live life independently but aware enough still to want to continue.

My father, God be good to him, crawled out the window of the nursing home to go saving hay.

Trying to convince a person to change a habit of a lifetime is very difficult, that memory remains while others go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gavin Newsom is probably the standout. Not without issues though a

He definitely looks like someone who would play a fictional president. But he’s got too much baggage I think.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Piskin

The Dem's are running scared for a while now, they screwed up in calling for this early debate which finally proved that Biden is just a front as G W Bush was. Trump look's stronger and more composed than he did 4 years ago. One wonders what other dirty trick the Dem's will use to topple Trump before the election? Trump is taking it all in his stride and the American people are seeing and admiring that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gretchen Whitmer is a name that gets mentioned as a possible Democratic candidate, Governor of Michigan, so as a battleground state that would be to her benefit. I don't know too much else about her, other than the FBI thwarted some nutjobs from kidnapping her over her support for Covid restrictions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭eire4

That pretty much is the Democrats pitch and has been for a while. It is simply you have to vote for us because look how bad the other guy is. It has even been amplified in the last decade I would say as the Republican party has now become an authoritarian leaning party.

Overall IMHO the US political system is utterly broken, corrupted and dysfunctional and when this is what it produces as the choice for president that is a clear indictment of the system IMHO.

He would win this election if he was the Democratic nominee though IMHO. JB Pritzker is another option. But its not going to happen. Biden cannot be pushed out he would have to voluntarily agree to stand down himself and he isn't going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Living in America for 40 years. The country is a disaster. Biden is as disaster. The economy is a disaster. Security is non existent at the border. Biden is retarded, as is Trump.

People I talk to don't give a **** about central American illegals. They want them gone! They want the economy to improve. They don't give a **** about Hamas or Israel or Ukraine. The neverending spending to support foreign wars is draining.

I'd like if my tax dollars were kept in the U.S. I would shutter every foreign military base and end funding for foreign countries.

Politics is not local. It's media driven ****. The average person over here in my locale knows feck all about anything. The colleges are churning out leftist morons who are completely clueless about anything. As a nation, the U.S is a disaster. It's splintered, corrupt and media driven.

It should be noted, that whatever aid the U.S provides for foreign governments, the more debt is accrued for Yanks. That's becoming the reality for people that I know.

I will not be voting. Both parties are corrupt and no matter who steps in for Biden, is just as useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,261 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

She'd be a strong candidate in her own right, as well as ticking lots of useful boxes. Trump would probably try to attack her based on her Covid lockdown policies, which would nicely open him up to the hundreds of thousands of deaths his bullshit led to. She'd be better than Newsom imo, less baggage and being a woman, a better voice to push the abortion rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That's all it will take, imo. The country is so f*cked, they just need someone who looks and sounds "presidential".

As far as his baggage goes, have you seen who he's running against?! The man is a saint in comparison 🤣

• Advertisement

I would have no doubt if she was the Democratic nominee that she would win this election.

Advertisement