Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Road Bike for women

Options
  • 21-06-2024 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get an electirc road bike for my wife. Late sixties, currently has a Giant aluminium road bike which is fine, except for the hills in West Cork which are getting a bit much for her. From my bit of research it seems a bit of a minefield, even sourcing a suitable one. Any recommendations please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Cube electric bikes seem to get good reviews.Proberly depends on your budget of course .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

cant comment on a bike for ladies, but I got a gents electric assist bike last year (i am 55) and its brilliant. Just a push on the hills and start-from-stationary , and so much easier on the knees! Its a Myatu 26" (aka the cheapest e-bike on Amazon - as per one Youtuber review) and it was 600 quid. Best thing I did in years ….

good luck on your search

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

AFAIK there are two ‘hidden’ e-road bike systems. Fazua and ebikemotion. The Fazua is a mid drive with the motor driving the crank from within the seat tube. The ebikemotion is in the wheel hub. Both offer a very small amount of assist with limited range, which may be what your wife wants, just a bit of a boost when she’s struggling.

There are road bikes with a full ebike system like Bosch mid drive etc. and they offer a lot of assist with a big battery and good range. These are great all rounders but in turbo mode your wife could do the alps. These bikes are also usually quite heavy.

As always I would choose the ebike system you want and select the bike that is most comfortable and has the best spec for price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's worth confirming what you mean by road bike; cyclists would usually use it to mean a racer, i.e. drop handlebar bike. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Sorry, she has a road bike with drops at the moment but wants straight handlebars now. Have been looking at Trek verve 1 or Trek FX 2 (hybrids) but they seem more commuter/urban bikes and heavy. As mentioned, it's cycling country roads (often hilly) she does, just needs a bit of a push!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

so something like this then https://www.feelgoodbicycles.ie/vibe-h30-blue.html

It has the mahle/ ebikemotion front hub motor.

I or this Fazua / boardman https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8.9e-womens-microshift-hybrid-electric-bike---45cm-48cm-frames-690662.html

Fiido have a nice looking hybrid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Thanks for those links. Look interesting and what we're looking for.

Advertisement