Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

hopefully john who is working will qualify for his caravan .. god help anyone who is not working ....

.. no wait they are the genius ones getting the free homes

lucky for us we have FFG who are going to help the people who get up in the morning to go to work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Blut2

Theres nothing wrong with Coolock, or subsidized affordable housing, but someone earning €100k in 2024 is in the top 7% of individual earners in the country.

Coolock is most certainly is not in the top 7% of desireable locations in the country.

Subsidized affordable housing in working class areas should be affordable for working class people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Those working class people just need to spend more time working and less time eating avocados……or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Using underhanded and immoral tactics of course.

Oh, and my father has sold many a property, and he has very little good to say about EA's. Bunch of spoofers, he would call them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m sure there are some psychology studies somewhere that if a boy listens to his dad long enough ragging on about something, he inherits the same beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭Villa05

They need to go out and get a 2nd job to pay the taxes to cover the costs of this scheme for the few that qualify for it

They might qualify for a tent on the canal bank

The Tanaiste defence of the pricing is even more deluded.

Despite being built in state land meaning 0 cost site saving 75k. The development is built entirely for state schemes so 0 risk to the developer which they cost at circa 15% another 75k. I assume development levies and water connections are waived saving another 30k.

Total savings per unit 180k and the price is still close to half a million.

The justification is that the buyer can get up to 130k in subsidies thus bringing the price down to 275k for the 1 bed units

Total state subsidies for a 1bed apartment, 130 + 180k =300k so that the purchaser can get a 1 bed for 275k

Is there any adult in the room. This is nuts.

He said that First Homes scheme and the Help to Buy scheme could reduce the price of a €400,000 home to €270,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

the question must be is there are any other country doing housing better and how can we replicate that ..

we have a serious problem here if we have to provide 300k in state subidies to provide a 275k 1 bed apartment........

there is more to life that expensive accomodation the people and irish children have to be able to live their lives too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Most Western countries have similar issues with housing, though Ireland the UK are seemingly worse. We all know why it is, but we're meant to ignore that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

One particular EA around my area has sold 3 houses within a 5 minute radius recently. All 3 bed semi-Ds.

320k asking price sold for 370k.

A few doors down asking price 350k sold for 420k.

Down the road asking price 360k sold for 420k.

Large number of bidders on each, sucked in by the lower asking price that's within their budget. If the prices are set at 'market value' of ~395k each, how many bidders are there? Where is the bidding war?

Would market value not be 370/420/420?

I have 2 questions:

If market rate is set at €395k, how do you know bidders won’t bid 50/60k above that?

How many of those bidders thought the asking price was important when bidding, compared to say, what other buyers were bidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Presumably, I think you need vacant possession to get a mortgage.

Just seems like a weird one. Why spend so much in the first place if the plan is to rent it out?

Could have bought a 3 bed near there for around 375k and got a way better yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I think I've answered my own question there, the plan was probably to live there, but maybe had to move abroad and decided to rent it out, and got shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Shocked to hear about this scheme on radio today low income workers earning 104k a year can get assistance to buy 3 bed house Coolough at a reduced rate of 470k.

It didn't say how many of these houses are for sale. 10s 100s ? But sounded like big demand. Is 104k classified as low income all over county or just Dublin?

This level of gov assistance can't be sustainable is the idea anyone less than 100k would need HAP or Council house

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

104k will just as likely be a working couple in there thirties, with children that are renting maybe even with HAP at present. Or young couple starting out. 100k is not astronomical wages for a couple. Not many professionals earning 100k will be buying these. Unlikely any single person in the 100k+ bracket will be buying these.

Some here are forgetting that these earning limits are targeted at couples in fairly ordinary jobs who cannot afford a house otherwise.

In Limerick at present the larger MNC are paying a basic of 50k+ to shift workers there total earning are in the region of 80k+. Daughter is a teacher teaching about 6-7 years next September her earning will be 55k ish.

People give out about the price of housing. A friend of my better half was home from Manchester. She is separated about 8-10 with one child. They sold there orginal house when they separated and it made 500k, it recently sold again for a nearly a million sterling. The house she bought a small 3 bed semi in a decent area cost nearly 300k, sub 900 sqft with the obligatory box room no Dermot Bannon extension it is worth in the region of 500k now.

Manchester is the UK's third city probably double the size of Dublin but not a capital city. Ireland has the fastest growing population of the wealthiest EU countries, the UK population was rising before Brexit and probably still is. They have much the same issues as Ireland.

As DavidMcWilliams said about housing 5 years ago in a podcast

"never let the perfect get in the way of the good"

Slava Ukrainii

Bass, these are 1,2 and 3 bed units built on state owned land for council, affordable rent/purchase. There is absolutely no justification for the price given the subsidies for construction and further subsidies for purchaser. The definition of afordable housing by FFG up to 15% less than "market" value. Thats 1 years house price appreciation the way we are going

50% of the working population work outside the mnc and public sector. When the mnc sector is removed from the Irish economy, we are amongst the least productive in the EU, despite working longer hours. A huge contributer to this is high property prices and rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

The economic growth depends on Ireland being competitive and if €100k is a low household income for Ireland then it is only a matter of time before something somewhere breaks. Effectively the government has mandated that €100k is a low household income. Businesses will be undoubtedly wary of where the country is headed as the housing market is getting less affordable which means that they will need to keep increasing salaries. It’s so shortsighted by the government to implement policies that mainly seek to push up house prices with housing supply and affordability as well as economic growth being seen as collateral to successfully prop up the housing market.

When you have a captain earning €280k telling us that the cost of living is hitting them so hard, they need to be paid €350k, and there is no public outcry, then you just have to accept that €100k isn’t what it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

Absolutely; and I think it is actually worse for families that work and rent as 3 beds to rent, from a high level scan of Daft, cost at least €2500 per month and that seems to be Tallaght/Finglas etc so probably €3k pm and more to get something in a bit of a nicer area for the family.

This would take up around 40% of a €150k annual salary. While we think owning a house is for the wealthy it is actually renting which requires you to be earning good money!

Anyone know the reason why an EA would do this - raise the asking price after the bidding has gone way beyond the new asking price that they set?

Same EA here in all these where you can see all the online bidding that took place close to the original lower asking price and then during the bidding the EA revises the asking price upwards - somewhere a little closer to where the bidding ended up?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-san-antonio-38-balrothery-estate-tallaght-dublin-24/5723082 https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-60-walnut-close-kingswood-tallaght-dublin-24/5730269 https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-25-pineview-lawn-aylesbury-tallaght-dublin-24/5730826 https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-16-d-n-an-ir-old-bawn-road-tallaght-dublin-24/5713332

Is it to make it look like they never undervalued the properties to begin with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And posters were cribbing about the prices in Coolough

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Murt2024

100K is nothing in Dublin really, anyone with a college degree in a decent area or people in trades would be earning a lot more than 100K as a couple especially in Dublin by the time they hit the average age of buying now which is 35.

I have friends who after the leaving cert just went labouring or worked in minimun wage factories and still do this day. Instead of trying to upskill in a trade which I find crazy they just stayed in those roles. That's down to them and you can't blame the government or for people failing to upskill. Another one failed college after a year and is just doing bar work in hotels for the last 15 years. People need to stop giving out as they landed themselves in these situations as too lazy to upskill.

An independent look at the effects of UK's Help to buy scheme over a decade similar to Ireland's Shared ownership which is now impacting the market

help-to-buy scheme “inflates prices by more than the subsidy value” and does “not provide good value for money, which would be better spent on increasing housing supply....

Worse still, they found that the policy actively stimulated construction “in the wrong areas”.......

the government’s own evaluation of the policy showed that only two in five help to buyers actually needed the programme.......

Helping out the comfortably-off and lining the pockets of developers may have been a calculated part of the Tory policy. But help to buy has also had a major unintended consequence: leaving many buyers trapped in negative equity.....

Hamptons last year found that people who bought a new-build home were twice as likely to sell it on at a loss than second-hand homeowners. This is a consequence of help to buy having created massively inflated premiums on new-build homes – which quickly evaporated once the home had been lived in.....

Fairburn, the then boss of Persimmon, was notoriously awarded a bonus of £82m, one of the largest such bounties in British corporate history, and was forced out as a result. Defending his payout, Fairburn was frank about the cause of the vast sum: “It’s supply and demand, and the demand has been created through the help-to-buy scheme.”

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭hometruths

They value the property for the vendor, the asking price is not a valuation, it is a guide price only for bidding purposes.

OK, so why do they need to revise this bidding guide price when the bidding based on the original bidding guide price, has already exceeded the revised bidding guide price.

I’m afraid I can’t explain it as it seems all the bids occurred during a very short period on the one I looked at. I really don’t see a benefit, and your theory relating to advertising a low guide price, then correcting it hardly makes sense as there is no benefit for either the vendor or EA, what difference does it make to them. Perhaps it indicates that the EA wants to alter asking price to reflect what the bids have reached, how that would help their client, the vendor is unclear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cristianc

Have you seen this price inrease for apartments as well?

I recently saw in Dundrum an apartment was sold for 493k a few months ago but last year in November it was also sold, 410k this time.

But it's the only example I know of.

Advertisement