Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's a very charitable description of it. About the most optimistic articles I saw described it as a draw. Realistically if he has another performance like that in September, wouldn't bet on a favourable result in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

the following point is never made in the news media/or in debates. The team behind either whichever gets in. We have PRECIDENT to go on in both cases.
    During Trumps time he hired people that were , in general, quite radical/off the wall.
    and also, a lot of them were ‘fired’ /just left after a few months . There was constant friction going on within his team.

Trump, apparently, never listens to advice given/opinions offered He is ‘ his own man’

Whereas , during Biden’s term the COMPLETE OPPOSITE is the case.

So whichever gets in , it is the TEAM that we should PICTURE as running the country and not the president only as such

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Such as Obama pulling the strings for a fourth term?

A weak Biden, confused, incapable and easy to manipulate isn't a good thing either!

Edited to add...

See this is the problem! This black or white, with us or against us mentality that so characterises this issue and much of what passes for debate generally now.

Neither of them are fit for the job - for a variety of different but equally serious and damming reasons.

What's needed is a 3rd and 4th option - urgently, but the two sides and their supporters are so entrenched that it'll never happen.

What's even worse is how people outside of the US (including Ireland!) have absorbed this simplistic and dangerous mindset as well, and not just on this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Yes, we've all seen this around the internet in the last 24 hours by Biden supporters. You didn't invent this thought. You are regurgitating a lie to justify voting for someone who is unable to make decisions because you were "voting for their helpers."

Maybe we should have each candidates' teams debate each other instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oh really?? So someone could make sense of what he said then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

Lmao what

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man."

I had never heard he said this. Wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There was a moment a few weeks back when Biden was at the D-Day event and he went to sit down on a chair that didn't exist

I mean, there literally wasn't. There was a moment when he went to sit down before a speaker had finished and those beside him were still standing. And then everyone sat down about 5 seconds later. There is, clearly, plenty of real evidence floating around to make a case against him, I don't know why people have to pivot to carefully edited lies. It's also a bit rich to be "pointing out the obvious" when you take such things at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BLFOTR

I'm sorry and i don't mean to be rude but this is just deluded beyond belief. Biden lost the debate in a massive way. Even the network talking heads who would defend Biden no matter what said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debate?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

There is a quote attributed to Einstein that might explain why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I dunno, I wouldn't mix the adrenochrome and the cocaine in the same sitting, you don't want to be too energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dpubt the entire American electoral system will be reformed so its 2 party system. Literally one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's only a one or the other choice because nobody else out of the 118 million over-50s cares enough about their country to stand up and say "Feckit, we can be better than this. Vote for me!"

Well, there is one - but he's another ancient relic and just as unsuitable as the top two.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Even if you look at the 2020 debates you can see the massive decline of Biden, and I remember there was the same criticisms even then. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Field east

the Americans can ONLY VOTE ON what they are presented with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The New York Times editorial board headlined that Biden should step aside as 2024 democrat presidential candidate after the Thursday debate with Trump. That’s consequential. I would expect some mainstream news media outlets to share such an opinion, but not the NYT.

I doubt Biden will do so voluntarily. And I doubt that the Democratic Party will attempt to not nominate Biden at their convention, although it might be in their best interests to do so.

Of course how can voters be influenced to not vote for Biden after only a 90 minute debate with Trump? I’ve read somewhere that in the close race between Vice President Nixon and JFK, the debate made the difference. Nixon appeared terrible on the TV debate, just as Biden did. To quote the maxim: “You’ve got to walk the walk, talk the talk, and look the look.” Biden failed.

Unless there is a massive October Surprise against Trump, my guess is that Biden will lose the presidency by a small margin in the Electoral College while still recording a larger popular vote than Trump.

If the democrats set aside Biden at their convention, they will have a problem finding a viable replacement at such a late election time hour. Plus strong Biden supporters may not vote for the replacement out of protest.

The only last minute replacement candidate would appear to be Vice President Harris. It follows that if something happened to Biden during his normal term of office to where he could not continue to serve, she would replace him by succession. In this case, VP Harris would Constitutionally “Look the look.” This approach may also appear in some ways similar if Biden foresaw the next 4 years in a similar fashion, thereby transferring his voters to Harris 5 November 2024.

If Biden would step aside now as a candidate he would serve until 20 January 2025. As to qualifications, Harris was the attorney general and later the US Senator for California, the 5th largest economy in the world; and is the current Vice President for almost 4 years, typically the training ground for future presidents. She is qualified to be president, substantially more so than Trump in 2016 with zero elected government experience.

But would Harris run at the last minute, or wait 4 years; or if Biden was forced aside by his party at the Democratic convention, she may appear to betray him, and Biden’s voters may not vote for her out of protest? For Harris to increase the chances of winning, Biden would have to voluntarily step aside, not be forced out.

Harris has established a speaker reputation in favor of pro-choice (abortion) for women for 2 years since Roe was overturned by the Supreme Court, a hot topic for a majority of women voters. Plus Harris might get many women independents and republican crossovers being the first woman president in US history. There are more registered women voters than men in the US. And can MeToo be quickly resurrected to benefit Harris?

In conclusion, odds are that Biden will not step aside, the Dems will not take the chance of forcing him out thereby nominating him, and Trump will win in the EC and become the first convicted felon president in US history, and all the Trump controversies since 2016 will continue for another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Biden even in current state is a better option than Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Dems are in a bind at the moment. If Biden steps aside, who takes over as nominee? VP Harris isn't a viable choice as too many in America just don't like her and I cannot think of anyone else in the wings that would be able to get people onside with just 5 months to go before election date.

However, Biden was bad the other night, shockingly so. Sure he's prone to the odd gaffe here and there, but the other night it was stumble, followed by lock up, followed by stumble. The thing is, who's minds are changed by that? Traditional Democrat voters aren't going to be changing their minds on the basis of one performance and suddenly opt for the Trump (or stay at home considering what happened when they did that in 2016) and most Republican voters were always going to vote for Trump anyway. So, there's just a relatively small cohort of undecided that may have their direction altered and most of them would be undecided Republican voters I'd wager.

It's a sad state of affairs that US elections mainly come down to keeping the other guy out, rather than voting for someone you truly believe is better for the country.

It's funny, I was thinking the other day at how the US used to poke fun at the Russians in the 80's over the ages of their leadership, some of whom died in office. Gorbachev was considered young, because he was 55 when he became leader.

And now here they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't really agree that it's difficult for somebody else to come in at short notice and rally the Democratic base.

Even in 2020, it wasn't so much a pro-Biden vote, as it was an anti-Trump vote.

There are voters who just need a reason to vote for the Democratic candidate. Biden didn't give them that reason in the debate. I can see a bunch of people who would vote Democrat if they did vote, not voting at all, after watching that debate.

Somebody else can energise the 'Keep Trump Out' vote better than Biden at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What's even worse is how people outside of the US (including Ireland!) have absorbed this simplistic and dangerous mindset as well, and not just on this issue.

Think of this every time I see someone saying 'Reform' is the only option in the UK election. Like as if a large portion of the population were either in a coma or completely ignorant as to the actions and influence of Farage since at least 2016.

We're seeing similar in Ireland with people running for local council positions then talking about actions they are going to take on a national level. Like as if they don't actually understand what it is the role the are running for entails.

As for the 'Obama' pulling the strings for a 4th term? There's literally no evidence of this is there, aside from it being a narrative pushed by the US right for the last 4 years. But what tangible example is there that this is the case?

There's way more evidence that Sean Hannity was influencing Donald Trump as President that there is Obama influencing Biden. A point made all the more relevant given Hannity is nothing more than a conservative media personality whereas Obama has 8 years experience of President on his CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

NY times - President Biden knew immediately after stepping off the stage in Atlanta on Thursday night that the debate had gone wrong. In those first stricken moments after a raspy, rambling and at times incoherent performance, he turned to his wife, Jill Biden
    <snip>
    The first lady’s message to him was clear: They’d been counted out before, she was all in, and he — they — would stay in the race. Her thinking, according to people close to her, was that it was a bad night. And bad nights end.
    source

Quite a dilemma for American voters depending on their worldview. A Trump (age 78) win with both house and senate means Project 2025, A Biden (81) win you have no idea what you are getting and Robert Kennedy Jr (70) is unlikely to get enough to form any balance of power, and likely faces challenges with the permanent government.

The next question does Bidens decline have an effect on the US senate and congress seats? That's where all the horse trading happens. Very likely few are going to come out to vote for Biden (would you vote for your Dad when he is very clearly in decline? - I would not either.), then again Americans have been known to vote for the dead guy in elections.

Another question who can reel in the neocons? They work both sides of the dominant US political coalitions and have dominated American foreign policy since the late 90s. The wars and debts have to unravel in the end, does not matter who the titular figurehead is.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

At the end of the day the next term looks impossible, 2 out of control wars, domestic inflation, debt, high interest rates, kind of a poison pill , they can blame Trump for not fixing everything unless some magic is pulled from the hat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Biden won last time, not because he was the most loved candidate in the history of elections, who got more votes than any man in history, he won because he was the alternative, that's still valid today. People will have NO OPTION but to vote for him, and again it could lead to victory, even if he's barely able to string a sentence together, it's crazy that a nation like the US only has him to offer up for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭briany

No, it's not valid. Trump was on course for re-election until he massively mishandled the Covid pandemic. There were other factors as well, like his refusal to unequivocally condemn the display at Charlottesville, and a generally unpresidential way of conducting himself, but I think the biggest factor was Covid.

Anyway, the people had it all in front of them when Trump was in office and it wasn't theoretical the damage he was doing, but it seems that the damage someone is doing is a much better motivator than the damage someone could do in terms of voting against them because Biden's polling numbers have consistently lagged behind Trump's, especially in the swing states where polling numbers actually matters, which is also why anyone who cites national polls is being a moron. American elections come down to only thousands of people deciding to vote one way or the other in less than ten states. Biden is behind in pretty much every one of these areas, and in places like Nevada, Georgia and Pennsylvania, it's not even that close.

He is in massive trouble, electorally. US democracy is in massive trouble. The apparent lack of panic is mad. It's not like the iceberg is hard to see, or the severity of hitting it unknown, and yet a course is still being plotted directly towards it.

Joe Biden is not going to get anything like numbers he did in 2020. I can one hundred percent guarantee that will not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What? You mean that Harris is already in a nursing home?

Advertisement