Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uisce Éireann kicking it right out of the park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah I agree on the whole. People complained about the setup of Irish Water and being wasteful of money etc but then went on to force the government of the day to commit to funding them centrally. So now they are not answerable to the public, have a nice stream of guaranteed revenue coming on - what's not to like.

It should always have set up like the ESB etc, a semi state supplying a service that the public pay by use. It was a complete no brainer but between the arrogance of Phil Hogan/ FG and the opportunism of SF and Paul Murphy etc, somehow we managed to f** it right up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People seem to forget that the whole concept of Irish Water came from the post crash bailout agreed by FF and the EU, IMF etc.

Domestic water charges were to be introduced as part of the process and Irish Water would be the vehicle for these charges.

FF and the Troika agreed this while the 2007-2011 FF/Green Party government was in power.

And when FG came to power in 2011 they continued with what was agreed as part of the bailout.

Then in the 2016 general election when FF were struggling in the polls FF decided they were against the very water charges they agreed to implement.

The public responded in kind and gave them a huge boost at the polls and as a result FG formed a minority government with the support of FF and water charges were binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BLFOTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That reflects a poor understanding of accounting.

Capital expenditure does not reduce profits.

Ryanair could purchase 100x aircraft, that does not reduce their profits.

Profits are the difference between revenue and costs.

Think of it like this, if a lnadlord repays their mortgage, does that affect their rental profits? No.

Now, the depreciation of capital assets does reduce profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Economics101

Daft remark. Irish Water took over the clapped-out Local Authority water systems. Not a matter of conservatism , just a matter of the non-achieving, culture of neglect that pervades local government in Ireland.

And the main reason why Irih Water need such a huge subvention is that the far Left in Irish politics sabotaged water charges. Irish Water in its present guise was never an "FFG" project; it's a product of the free-lunch mentality of so many Irish politicians, especially on the Left

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

I know a family that are at the top of IW and they are nothing but scumbags. They are a drug dealing/security/biker outfit that went legit in the 00s. Quisling animals driven by hatred and greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Regardless of how/why it was setup and if FG intended to privatise it, Irish Water seems to be doing an OK job at the moment. Before Irish Water there had been decades of shambolic underinvestment with 31 local authorities doing their own thing. Treatment plants close to each other but because they were in different counties, no pooling of resources, caretakers, engineers etc. inefficiencies in terms of procurement, admin and everything else.

Anyway, most people don't think about water, its a boring topic. Where does water come from? The tap. Where does my sh*te go? The toilet. End of conversation - unless you want to impose a usage charge.

The posts on here about the lack of improvement in water quality are not really fair to Irish Water. Irish Water wastewater plants are sources of pollution but as said they are upgrading them and it is generally accepted that agriculture is the most significant source of water pollution.

Other sources include domestic septic tanks. Improving water quality means enforcing water quality legislation, carrying out inspections, prosecuting polluters etc which is the responsibility of the EPA and County Councils and is labour intensive work. AFAIK the EPA has prosecuted Irish Water on a few occasions. If anyone wants to understand more why water quality is not improving, ask what the county councils are doing (or not doing due to gross under resourcing and probably politics) on agricultural and septic tank pollution. On the septic tanks they have a specific (small) number of inspections that they have to do each year and some don't even manage that. At the rate they are going, it would take over 250 years to inspect every domestic system in the country

https://www.epa.ie/news-releases/news-releases-2024/failure-to-fix-faulty-septic-tanks-is-a-risk-to-human-health-and-the-environment-and-cant-continue-says-epa.php

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…no its not, again, same tactic that was used across the pond, again, thames water!

…the free lunch is that it makes it easier to sell off a public asset, packaging it nicely for example if another future bailout is required, common imf tactic, thats been used across the world….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Uisce Eireann should remain a semi state like ESB, so it has it's own ability to raise debt for infrastructure and can charge for usage 

I mean, this literally was the intention.

They were stopped from doing it cause vast swathes of people assumed it was all a conspiracy instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How are they making money? I dont pay for water. Neither does anyone i know. Is it solely from commercial customers? If so then why arent revenue just collecting it. Or the local council.

**** stinks.

Oh an don the expert engineers. Ask me hole. I know how these places work. Quangos and public bodies. They'll be as indifferent to their jobs as most public servants are. Dont be fooled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ah now the cronyism around how contracts were awarded was something else in the early days of IW. REDACTEDs Siteserv initial sale, debt writedown and then the contract award for IW meter installations was scandalous. That was the lightning rod that lead to water charge protests gaining traction.

Many revisionists like to paint it as only scroungers protesting about not wanting to pay, in reality it was a broad spectrum of people protesting for a variety of reasons - the biggest being how IW was a vessel for govt to funnel money to REDACTED and other colourful characters.

I don't think it was all done perfectly or anything but I do think the vast majority of the protests were based on a combination of a) not wanting to pay and b) genuinely believing it was all a conspiracy to privatise. "We have serious concerns about your tender process" was not the rallying cry of the protests.

There should still be some benefits to centralising the service as opposed to having every county council do it. But they are severely hamstrung by the inability to raise any debt financing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

it’s a board at the top of Uisce Eireann, not a family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

There are some people who are just so devoid of intelligence that no matter how you explain something that they will not accept it.

You'll find that the same people are anti Vax, don't believe in COVID, think 5g causes cancer and the earth is flat. In most cases they are social welfare dependant.

It's best to ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Economics101

Whether or not there was a "conspiracy" or a plan to privatise Irish Water, that has long gone out the window. No sane investor would touch it. What real evidence to you have that privatisation is on anyone's agenda?

Post edited by Economics101 on

I know but it was funny, some family in the 2000's decided to turn from drug dealing to water, starting up Irish Water with the government. How would you even dream up this shi*e?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Jaysus, Ye have come on a long way since the days of Angela's Ashes down there. You'll be getting notions what with your water boiling next. Very fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

It’s rather silly to drag an non-EU country into this when every other EU country has significantly cheaper water charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

We clearly don’t pay enough for it in taxes then since it isn’t up to scratch - and no one is out there going “No, don’t spend my taxes on my local hospital / schools / roads, spend it on improving the local water and sewage system instead”. :-)

So is it a family or board member? first post it was a family.

Maybe you should post this in the conspiracy theory forum, drug dealer turned director.

Don't expect an answer to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Former minister who set up Irish Water says 'forces' at work to privatise company (thejournal.ie)

Former minister who set up Irish Water says 'forces' at work to privatise company

FORMER JUNIOR MINISTER Fergus O’Dowd (FG), one the people involved in setting up Irish Water, said last night that he felt that there were “forces at work” with “agendas” to privatise the utility company.

He said he remains “deeply concerned at other agendas, they may be European… I don’t know where they are coming from…” and said we have “real reason to be concerned” about the possibility of Irish Water being privatised.

Speaking about his role in the setting up of Irish Water in the Dáil last night, he said that he always wanted it to be included in legislation that Irish Water could never be privatised and would remain a public company.

He said he was very surprised then to see in the number two Bill there was no provision guaranteeing the utility remaining a public body.

It was excluded and not included in legislation, and that concerned me greatly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Worth a listen if you seek the truth.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-minutes-for-irish-water-meetings-attended-by-former-minister-hogan/31086769.html

There are no minutes from a series of high-level Irish Water meetings held in 2012, including some attended by then environment minister Phil Hogan.

Mr Hogan met with Bord Gáis chairperson Rose Hynes in October and November that year but no notes were kept during the discussions.

In total, there are no minutes from more than half of all meetings between the Department of Environment and Bord Gáis in the six months after they set up Irish Water.

Ah yes, a general foreboding sense of mysterious European forces at work to privatise Irish Water. That's real hardcore evidence right there.

Also legislation to guarantee it could not be privatised would be the height of pointlessness and is the kind of redundant garbage that should not be polluting the statute books so it's not remotely surprising it's not there.

• Advertisement

Fergus O'Dowd is still a Fine Gael TD and was closer to the Irish Water setup than anyone. Take it up with him.

Advertisement