Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

Very hard for 15-17 year olds to implement the tactics and know how at such a young age. Very hard to criticise them, management are not stupid either, they tried to get it right but poor decisions making and basically bet by a much stronger team.

Tipp were absolutely outstanding, what a team and inspirational performance from them. Hard one to take

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

If there's any bit of pride in those Kilkenny players they should bank that loss and be determined to bet Tipp if they meet again at u20.

A note on the Tipp management- what a bunch of eejits, they'll look back at the game and be embarrassed of themselves. However it obviously riled and inspired the players on the field. There was only 1 or 2 shots of the Kilkenny management, they looked as bewildered as the players on the pitch did. Only one team wanted to win that final, there was no fight in Kilkenny and that's the most disappointing aspect of the defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

Excellent post and summary of what happened.To many people coming out of the woodwork to slate young players and obviously a few disgruntled mammies or Daddies coming on to slate management because their little Johnny wasn't picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

First off you d be absolutely sick by being bet by tipp but they were the better team all day

If anything the sendings off galvanised them more

Our hurling was slow and ponderous today for some reason I think the occasion got to some players

As someone else said tipp played as a team while we played more like individuals players took to much out of the ball ran to far with the ball when the pass was on

The ref actually blew players for steps so we should have been letting the ball off more than carrying it the extra few steps

I won’t comment on the two reds as I didn’t see the first one and was in the opposite stand for the second

I think we seemed to just panic at times and took all the wrong option's at the wrong times as there was so many poor wides when in good position's

We basically did the opposite to what we did in all the other games I can only put that down to the occasion and nerves

I would nt be to hard on the management and players I think tipps name was just on the cup from the throw in

They ve given us some great moments over the year and I’ve enjoyed watching a lot of the minor games more than the famous Munster hurling championship tbh

I would be worried that’s 4 or 5 minor finals we’ve lost in the last decade though

On the ref it was ridiculous the amount of times tipp players pulled the kk players hurly in over there shoulder and bought a free

My god that woodblock is a disgrace on the line

Hopefully the seniors can put in a good performance next weekend and lift everyone’s spirits again

• Advertisement

Bad and all as "forchange" is, at least he doesn't come on here and slate young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

That's exactly why management are to blame! Minors especially need to be managed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Just in from Nowlan park… what a game. The sending offs seemed to give Tipp a cause and it’s probably easier to hurl with a bit of freedom when you feel you have nothing to lose but the absolute heart that Tipp team showed tonight was just incredible and they thoroughly deserved to win the game.

I was sitting inside the wire behind the Kilkenny management team and all I’m going to say is they were very poor tonight.

Very disappointing that we were outnumbered badly again in our own field tonight and the Tipp supporters really drove their team on. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I've never seen collective behaviour like that from a team's sideline before, like 5 or 6 Davy Fitz's, jumping up down waving their arms in the air like apes, not just for tackles but solos by Kilkenny players,everything. The icing on the cake was them going batshit waving imaginary cards at the ref when a Tipp player hooked the Kilkenny players arm and dragged them both down, to buy a free, right in front of the Tipp dugout. It was clear to everyone in the stand what happened and the ref indicated that he did too, and so only awarded a free, but they were screaming for cards, jumpimg up and down, absolutely shameful stuff.

I won't comment on our performance due to the age involved, but it was really hard to watch it happen, in almost disbelief at times.

Tipp were incredible though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Not talking anything from Tipps win but the who's who of kilkenny gaa making the team doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

I agree fully but think the players get motivated by this "passion/emotion" our management were standing like bouncers outside a nightclub and it showed in the youngsters on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

As a Tipp man lads hopefully ye won't begrudge us the win tonight as Tipp victories in Nowlan Park are as rare as hen's teeth.

What a match though, heart, passion, work rate was phenomenal from both teams. Certainly a game for the ages.

Tough one to take for the players so I wouldn't be too hard on them, I believe alot of yere lads are young enough again next year so no doubt they'll be there or thereabouts again next year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

the tipp 15-17 year olds had no such problem though. The disappointing thing for me is that nearly all the same issues at senior were on display here today. Clear difference in the level of coaching they have received up to this point

As a Kilkenny man I tipp (no pun intended) my hat to that minor team, we should of had it sown up after half time instead ye scored 3 points with no reply and we drove rediculous wides. The heart and passion from the tipp players was outstanding and at times it looked like we were the ones with 13 on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

1st one wasnt even a yellow seeing it back more baffling stuff from referees tipp got 5 frees in a row after the second red aswell which makes my blood boil its not the refs job to even things up and give a team everything for the next few minutes after he’s send off one of there players

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

Why don't you blame the ref , twas always the usual KK excuse

Silly comment, everyone on here have acknowledged Tipp deserved to win.

The post you quoted said Tipp were incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

His last 4 words , yes . The rest of the post was begrudging, he's obviously forgotten some of Cody's arm waving

Cody and his team NEVER carried on like that management team today, it was embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

This one has to be on the management , 2 xtra players for that long and not to win is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

That game was woefully managed on and off the field. On the field the age of the players excuses them but off the field, to be unable to influence things in any positive way in a game like that is not good enough at that level. Came out at HT 2 mins before Tipp, they get the first point, and with 2 extra men we go short to the corner back who launches the ball over the middle where we have the numbers to try get it to the full forward line who are all marked. If the message at HT with two spare men isn't to play with huge width and to draw a man and pop if off then what are we even doing.

There was 10 mins in the first half where they kind of figured it out before the 2nd red and Eoin Brennan set up McDermott for 1-1 and got his own point but other than that it was fairly shambolic. They played in a constant state of panic, carrying the ball down the middle way too fast and just running into trouble.

The bodies caved in way before Tipps did considering they had 13 as well which was very strange.

I think Phelan at full back deserves a mention as I thought he did his job.

Massive credit to those Tipp young lads though. Thought the No 3 was outstanding and they showed incredible guts. Out hurled, out fought, out thought. Well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

The management had 3 chances to sort out what was happening and they couldn’t do it.

Kilkenny kept hitting 50/50 balls into the forwards or shots from all angles with 2 extra men.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

That was the amazing piece. I was listening to the first half on KCLR (I'm a Tipp man but Tipp fm commentary was brutal, KCLR was miles better) within five minutes of the second red the commentator's were saying that KK needed to move one of the extra men forward as KK weren't getting any great advantage having so many extra players in the half backline. Overall KK scored 1-5 in the first half and 1-4 in the second, that was the losing of the game. KK seemed to not have support runners coming off the shoulder, when an inside forward came out and won a ball, it was a solos effort for a score or p[lay back out the field, there was never a support runner running past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Lots of very talented Kilkenny players on that team. Lots of them underage again next year. I thought more than a few of them understood the game and might have been frustrated with some things… They won't be the first team or the last to get frustrated by a set of backs and get lulled into long range shooting. It happens.

They won a Leinster final and a savage semi against an excellent Clare team. Showed real character and skills. I'd say the same of Clare. It can't all boil down to one performance. They all got all the games you can get at this age level and that's development.

The under17 grade is much maligned. I was impressed all year with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Liam Sheedy used to be at the same crap, pushing Cody in the chest and this big tough man image on the sideline and then acting like a dog with rabies buck leaping with every tackle, hook or free.

Shane McGrath used to celebrate a free like he won an All Ireland, big buck leap and fist pump.

Woodlock learned from the best.

I can’t stand Tipp in any shape or form.

Poor weekend overall for Kilkenny GAA Minors,Footballers and senior camoige all beaten hopefully Seniors can do it next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Tommy Walsh assaulted Brian Gavin, Shefflin is the greatest whinger to refs ever to play the game, Larkin the biggest diver in the game. See what I did there.

Advertisement