Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was fine with the racism until it affected him. Neither he nor his daughters deserve this but he's been pandering to these people since he took over.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I feel sorry for his daughters but not him.

This is the world and the people he enfranchised and cultivated. He was given plenty and plenty of warning that he was creating a world that would be hostile to himself and all people of immigrant backgrounds. Just like anyone else who votes and works towards hate he gets what he deserves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shades of Leopard Eating People's Faces Party going on here; Sunak was happy enough to stir the pot when it suited him and he thought he was in the tent. Disgraceful language mind, in case anyone thinks I'm saying otherwise

Who'd have thought it, the racists don't see him as one of them. That's the trouble with indulging the far right: you'll never go as far as they want, and will invariably, inevitably fall into their sights.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here.

At some point, they're bound to twig that their father is far from innocent in all this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Nobody ever deserves to hear that kind of language aimed at them.

Despicable

• Advertisement

Well if I spent my time in London whipping up anti immigration bullsht and hanging out with and voting for bigots and racists then I would have little recourse at being called a dumb Mick or a stupid Paddy.

I had my fair share of anti immigrant Irish, Polish, Indian etc. in London and they can all go fuk themselves and I have no sympathy. It's hilarious how these fools think that once the refugees and trans are dealt with it won't be them next.

If Sunak ends up on a plane to Rwanda tomorrow he has only himself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Agreed, but was it also not Sunak that denied racism was a problem in the UK and he also defended Lee Anderson when he was being racist towards Sadiq Khan and keeps taking money from the donor that was racist towards Diane Abbott. As pixelburp said, he did not speak up loudly enough when others in his party was being racist towards his opponents so he has no-one to blame that others thought this kind of language is acceptable to use against him.

He was more than happy to be chancellor for and attend all the lockdown parties for the man who said

"pickininnies with watermelon smiles"

I agree. He’s a waste of space. Out of touch and hopefully he loses his seat on top of losing the election, but his daughters should not be subjected to that kind of abuse (nor should anyone)

You are right on the part about his daughters.

But if a racist gets racism thrown at him that's just karma.

• Advertisement

Nobody here has said that they should. For that matter, neither should he.

The fact is that he has stoked these sorts of tensions for short term political gain which has then been squandered by incompetence. Take Rwanda, for instance. The flights were supposed to have gone by now but that hasn't happened.

The class system is terribly easy to forget as well. Sunak has no problem forgiving a party donor but some lad on the street using a slur is where they draw the line when it affects him personally.

H. H. Asquith

Yes, I was initially talking about his daughters and not him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know how Farage is polling on Clacton? For all the insanely lopsided media footprint he commands, the man never held a seat in the House of Commons; I'd hate for that record to be broken. The schadenfreude would be glorious if he failed on Clacton too

From June 26th:

I think that the people who vote for Farage won't care about the word that was used about Sunak. Heck, some of them will want more of the same.

Source: https://pollingreport.uk/articles/our-clacton-and-islington-north-projections-have-been-revised-after-constituency-polling

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

On the other hand, if he gets elected, he would be the worst MP in England of the last 100 years. The guy is a charlatan / grifter and is not a 'politician' - I would describe him more as a media personality. He would do absolutely nothing for his constituents and would only show up in the Commons to give TV and radio interviews.

It's quite likely that he'll get elected. The Conservatives' brand is toxic and Labour will just be too unpalatable to these people.

Farage exists to serve his paymasters, not for the sake of voters anywhere.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Shoog

We know how good a MP Farage will be from his time as an MEP. Not turning up, fiddling his expenses and grandstanding from the house.

A bag of ****.

Polling companies are going to take a hammering after this election, not for being wrong but for their being so many polls and MRP's that show a variety of results, you can lump them all together and state they had no clue about anything and point to the polls that were the most inaccurate. The website you linked has the Tories winning 188 seats and I would say that is quite high from the ones I have seen. I don't think I have seen anyone say they will win more than 200 seats for a while and as low as mid 50's, so there is a big spread. I hope they are wrong on their polling for the country and Clacton.

In related Reform news, Farage is now having to disown his supporters and candidates for being racist. This may not go down well with them as they will see it as a betrayal for people just speaking their mind and now their leader is going all snowflake on them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c727xz2kkgjo

"Reform UK has dropped three of its candidates following reports they had made offensive comments, a spokesperson has confirmed.

However, Edward Oakenfull, who is standing in Derbyshire Dales; Robert Lomas, a candidate in Barnsley North, and Leslie Lilley, standing in Southend East and Rochford, will still appear on the ballot paper as Reform candidates as it is too late for them to be removed.

It comes after leader Nigel Farage disowned the candidates during an appearance on BBC Question Time on Friday evening, when their remarks were put to him.

Mr Farage told the programme: "I want nothing to do with them.""

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The independent have endorsed labour for the first time since 2005...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

It's just a shame his empathy only extends to him and his immediate family.

Will his sudden hatred of racism lead him to call out the racists in his own party ?

Led by Donkeys were up to no good again…

The two people trying to rip it down and just staring at the poster as it cannot be removed made me smile. I guess Nigel does not like it when the truth is shown to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

His body language looks very uncomfortable here : not enjoying this one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

For those who don't want to/can't watch the video:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭rock22

It is sobering that at this time before the election 36%(19% +17%), more than one in three, voters are polling to support either Conservatives or Reform. From the Indepenent.co.uk website

Can we park the Putin thing: what the F is he talking about? Columbine as in the US mass shooting incident? Or something else.

I'm gonna infer that he's just grousing about some latter-day contextualising of the British Empire that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't all that great for "the colonies". Boomers and Gen X seem pretty agitated uppity young and brown people aren't so lock step into valorising the empire's results.

No more than Johnson, the media should take some responsibility for platforming this populist hustler when they thought he was an entertaining "character".

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Oh I get it now, listened again. Got my wires crossed.

His rhetoric really is the emptiest grumbling, isn't it. He's gonna be such a waste of space for Clacton; he'll bugger off to America if Trump wins and otherwise be absent from the HoC, except to make Last Angry White Man speeches to stir up the embittered Gen X types who grew up watching The Great Escape.

Advertisement