Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The Fitzsimmon one was the most egregious for me. Gets to a breaking ball first and cleanly wins it. Cormer goes down holding his head. 30 seconds later a yellow is produced and free given when he clearly waved play-on. Do we have an unofficial version of VAR going on in certain games with someone talking into the refs ear from the stands?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

It was more of a foul than the one on Con at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MFPM

While I think there's validity to some critique of the referee, bottom line is Dublin were dominant in the first half but were only four points up with no clear goal scoring chance again. In the second half they were utterly shocking, they were outplayed and none of their subs had an impact never looked like getting a goal and scored a measly 5 points in the second half..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder will Dessie have the appetite for the serious rebuild that has to start now.Last year we squeezed one but we won't be doing that again for awhile looking at the squad after this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Trey13

Yeah wondering this myself. These players owe us absolutely nothing and I hope everyone in the set up takes time before making any decisions.

I've said it time and time again, but the generation of 30-31 aged players is the best of all time. Kilkenny, Mannion, McCaffrey, Small, Fenton, Scully, Davy Byrne, Costello et al. Underage success hasn't been amazing since that group and I think it's probably catching up with us now. That group probably have one or two more years where they can eek out another All-Ireland.

As for Cluxton, Fitz and McCarthy, I think it might be that for them (just a hunch more than any actual knowledge).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Galway surprised me how well they defended. I would have thought their attack would have been more of a threat. But you are right I would say the last time a Dublin team were kept that quiet was in the AI SF v Donegal back in 2011.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The likely squad even at this stage for next year looks alarmingly short on quality and we won't really figure by the looks of things for the next few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭corny

I'd be curious to watch that back. My view was the same as yours… Fitzsimons got there first.

After the whistle I saw one Dublin player make a beeline to Hurson before he made a swift exit. The handshake was held a little too long to be civil. Has to be said the chap never gives us the rub.

McCarthy was talking to him and it looked like he indicated a hop ball. Then it magically turned into a free. I'm 99% certain someone was talking to him over the ear piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

When it's all said and done we have lost 1 game and there's teams left who have lost 3 who have a chance of getting to a semi final. How does that work?

The one's given to Hurson and Cormer would beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

We all knew the system before the competition started. The provincials/group stages are different parts of the competition.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Hopefully we will eventually get back to an all Ireland where everything matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭C__MC

Starting Jack and James killed dublin tonight, Galway deserved the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I believe that's a GAA thing. Just like Dublin get to play at home a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

The end of Dessie, hopefully

So it's a Gaa thing that losers get to move forward? Wtf. Sooner the better Dublin get there own proper ground so we don't have to listen to tired old excuses Everytime we win no matter how big or small pitch is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I'm not even sure of the rules of hurling but didn't they development a 'back door' system years ago? You get knocked out and get another chance. I don't know the rules because it's such a load of bull.

You mean sooner all the counties get a proper ground surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% the reason along with mannion who was not fully fit , them 3 players coming on at the end would have won the game for dublin terrible call by farrell

dublin are far from finished , when you take the age profile of the likes of ,con ,fenton, kilkenny , costello , but the fringes of the team need to be calculated better then tonight in terms of selections

The sooner Dublin get a proper ground not Parnell park and we can put this croke park bollocks to bed the better. Croke park should be there for provincial finals quarters semis finals at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭Augme

Great teams are built on competition and having player fighting for a starting place. When guys like Cluxton, Fitzsimmons and McCarthy can take the winter off and stroll back into the team then questions need to be ask about how that impacts the rest of the Dublin. Dublin will be stronger next year when those three aren't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭jack747

As Jimmy Sloyan would say , you’re either good enough or you’re not. And Dublin Simply weren’t good enough today.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Robson99

O Callaghan never moved off balance so how would it be a push. Was sitting beside a few Dublin supporters and they felt they were getting the marginal calls of Hurson. Dubious 45in first half, Conroy point disallowed for illegal handpass. But I don't think you can blame a push on O Callaghan missing the chance at the end. Personally I thought Kilkenny should have kicked it when he was in possession

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

It seems to be that in the capital yesterday, Pride, came before a Fall 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dclifford

Dublin played the game yesterday with 14 men. Obviously not numerically but tactically. Dublin played a sweeper in front of the box, but the ball never went in, so it was a player that was wasted defensively for 70 mins. It meant every other player was chasing shadows trying to make up the ground between the Galway players as Galway moved the ball quickly and took their shots.

All you can see is Murchan on edge of the box with nobody around and the ball sails over his head and over the bar. Not Murchans fault, it was the tactics.

7.8kwp South facing, Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Commiserations to Dublin.

Ye'll be there or thereabouts every year so no big deal. I'm sure the elder statesmen of your squad would prefer to go out with a win, so they might stay on another year.

It's better for the game to have different finalists.

Kerry are the bookies favourites but I think every team bar Louth can win it this year.

The jury's very much out on Kerry but we'll have a better idea of their ability after today's game.

I'm sure Kerry will be using Michael's death as motivation also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Its what happens in a lot of sports when a 'league system ' is used to produce teams for the knockout series.

I won't waste bandwidth by listing them all…but they are numerous.

Advertisement