Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What about O'Callaghan's miss?

What about all those Galway forwards strolling through the middle of the park and shooting over and over again from in front of the posts?

Was that his fault too?

If you are going to pick one moment like that and say that was what decided it, sorry but no thats not how it is.

Bear in mind Dublin were pushed hard by Louth, beaten by Monaghan in the league, beaten by Derry in league final, drew with an average enough Mayo team.. maybe thats their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

O Callaghans should of done better but at least he was under some kind of pressure and he's a guy who constantly delivers. Like I said the losing the two defenders Murphy and Gannon have cost Dublin this season. With them we would of been able play the right players in there positions. It unfortunately doesn't take away from fact Fitzer and Jameses are past there best and we have no one to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Kerry will have to play 3 proper matches to win the Ai. Derry, probably Donegal and Armagh or Galway. Probably the first time in their history they will have to play such hard games to win one . Will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Trey13

Said it time and time again in this thread and the Dublin one, but the generation of 30-31 year olds is the best we've seen. They probably have another year or two to eek out an one more All-Ireland but they'll need help from some young blood coming through.

As for Cluxton, McCarthy and Fitz - great servants but you could see that time is catching up with the two outfield lads.

It's been some run and what a few years supporting this group. I really think Leinster is going to be competitive if Louth and Westmeath can push on.

As for the AI - I would love to see Derry win and we'd have a very interesting semi final group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

Haven't seen it back but what about Bugler's drilling the ball in low late on!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

We've a chance now in the semi final anyway. A small chance at winning our tenth all Ireland. I can only imagine what it's like to be stuck back on three

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭corny

It is this year but I think any criticism (not that you were criticising) should be tempered by the realisation that Dublin are reigning champions. Let us not forgot that it is difficult to back it up the following year. If you are 1 or 2 per cent less committed than your opposite number you lose. That second half performance reeked of that small complacency. I'd give Dublin every chance to bounce back next year, even though it's obvious some of their greats are coming to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm guessing the day of the "startled earwigs" in 2009 was the last time Dublin failed to get to a semi final.

Was just part the panic. Something we just wouldn't of seen In previous years. There was signs the older heads where starting to drop early in the year. As soon as the injury's started coming in we didn't look same team. I still maintain with Gannon and Murphy in that team we have better balance. Starting the impact players was a case of playing your cards to early. And now I fear that's it Cluxton Fitzer James and maybe Jack are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It really feels like the end of an era type feeling. Players not of the same level coming through as times past. The key to me is how many of the newer Dubs are neutrals already aware of ? Although Theo Clancy and McGarry etc seem decent. They are not players that the neutrals would know of and want to see.

As for the AI for this year as long as Armagh/Kerry don't win Sam I will be happy. Armagh have fluked their way this far IMO. Horrible team to watch. And Kerry have won enough, they don't seem to playing well it would be annoying if they got a "soft" AI. It would be great to see Galway/Derry win outright as they have not seen Sam in decades.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Why would you want a team who have lost 3 games already and have a bitter **** of manger to win? Only team left in it I hope does well is Louth with a Dublin man in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭gigantic09

You're right we are ,but fair dues to Galway they done the business today against the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭deisedude

I really dont want Derry to win. If Derry win it from here then it makes a mockery of the championship that a team can lose 3 times and win the AI

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Louth beat Donegal I think it will have to go down as one of the biggest shocks in Gaelic football history. The problem for Louth is they play similar to Donegal. But Donegal have better players to consistently execute the game plan.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

They always seem soft when Kerry win 😄

I think this is one of the most open championships in years now…the team that have been hoovering them up is out.

Most will feel they have a realistic chance now…Louth aside probably

Personally I think you're safe enough regarding Armagh though!

My point was that the Lahiff criticism is ott…there were a good few at fault today in the second half

If you make that big of a mistake in such a major moment the game the criticism is justified. It would be so much easier to forgive a player if he actually did something in previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Apologies if this has already been thrashed out but I'm wondering what happens to this 'avoid repeat pairings' business in the semi-final draw if Derry and Donegal win tomorrow. Armagh will have played the three other remaining teams so…award them Sam by default?

If tomorrow's quarters run to form, I'm assuming the semis are automatically Kerry v Armagh and Galway v Donegal?

Potential Repeat Pairings

• Dublin v Louth
    • Armagh v Donegal
    • Donegal v Derry
    • Galway v Derry
    • Derry v Armagh
    • Armagh v Galway
    • Dublin v Roscommon
    • Kerry v Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

warning issued for what … Is this not an open forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭corny

I don't know. Dublin have lots of talented players. For me the top two inches will define them, as it did the lads they'll be replacing. Paul Mannion and Jack McCaffrey were out of their depth against Mayo in 2013 but Gavin started them. Showed faith in them and they grew into what they are now. Don't get me started about Pat Gilroy and the belief he instilled in a group of young men 15 years ago.

What young player has Dessie shown faith in? He pulls them out when it gets serious. Every one of them. Sends all the wrong messages. David O'Hanlon? No i'd rather jettison in a lad in his forties instead. Killian McGinnes was brought on as a sub and then taken off two weeks ago!

Don't pay lip service to building the squad. Show genuine faith in younger players, give them confidence and let them inherit the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭redarmy

Highlights on rte2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Do not provincial finalist pairings come into play. Do they take precedence over group goes?. I am not sure

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would have thought it was the other way round. Anyway looking at the pairings again I see both Derry & Armagh would have played the three other teams, so 'unless I'm very much mistaken', whether Derry & Donegal or Kerry & Donegal win tomorrow, one of the semis will have to be Galway V Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭whitelaurel

….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

People are saying the end of an era for Dublin and the players of the same level just aren't coming through. That's not true, the competition has just gotten harder.

That Dublin golden generation were ten years ahead in structures and development, which was put in place in the early 00s, and we seen the benefits ten year's later. Teams could often compete with Dublin, but couldn't go a full 70 minutes with them, they'd be burned and picked off.

It was circa 2010, teams like Mayo and others started to put structures in, and we seen the results nearly a decade later. Mayo took Dublin to extra time one year, and beat them in extra time.

I don't think people realise how pivotal a game that was. It was the first time team could go 70+ minutes with Dublin and live with them. It was the end of their dominance as we know it, a new generation had come through in other counties, conditioned to be able to live with Dublin

The reality is, in all those Dublin All Ireland wins, many of Dublin's players were made look better than they were. James McCarthy looked deadly at times, his pace scary, but usually when the other team was out on their feet etc. Kerry and a few others put it up to Dublin for 60 minutes during their glory years, but were always picked off.

Dublin are still producing the players, it's just other teams are now better conditioned to deal with them. Dublin will still be the best on any given year, but the gap has closed, and they've lost their advantage where conditioning is concerned.

In many ways, Dublin's free ride is over!

Galway beating Dublin was a punch to the gut for Colm O'Rourke, his management, and everyone involved in running Meath GAA. Always hiding behind excuses of Dublins extra funding, it being not possible or realistic to compete with Dublin etc. There's no excuses now. If Mayo and Galway can do it, there's no reason Meath shouldn't be able to.

O'Rourkes 5 year plan should be under huge scrutiny now. Derry and Louth within a few years, could also improve tenfold, with discipline, hard work and organisation

This result has exposed badly the lies the Meath management feed to the county i.e can't be done, 5 years, not realistic etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is annoying how people forget how good some previous teams actually were.

The Tyrone and Kerry teams of the 2000's would stand toe to toe with any Dublin team of the 2010's.

Gameplan, intensity, talent, whatever, those teams would have stopped that Dublin run, no question about it.

Mayo nearly did it with Andy Moran as their only forward, your telling me the Gooch Kerry teams couldn't beat them? Jog on.

Dublin never faced anything like that Tyrone team. But in these hypothetical scenarios, Tyrone would need the same advantages of conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

This repeat pairing nonsense has to stop for the likes of semi finals. Probably shouldn't be there for quarter finals either.

As a Galway supporter the best semi final opponent to get is Armagh. But because we'll have played them 4 weeks previously we can't meet them, it's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats the sort of nonsense that annoys me. You clearly don't remember that the 2003 puke football was born from the Armagh and Tyrone teams both attacking and defending in packs, when all players having to move up and down the field became the new normal.

Brain Dooher and Paul Galvin were around long before Paul Flynn ever was, its just silly that you think they weren't conditioned to hell and back.

Advertisement