Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Jeez you'd hope that's not a season ender for Walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,747 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Are youse/ye all in shock? My father (a Galwayman) spent most of the game (especially the first half) saying how awful Galway were. He couldn't stop smiling by the end of it.

I think Galway have the beating of any of the teams left in it. If Galway defend like they did today, and take more of their scores will take some beating. Need a fit comer and Walsh though. McDaid scored some peaches of points today. Galway kept Fenton very quiet in fairness. Great resilient type of performance by Galway.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭C__MC

Congratulations Galway what a win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Means nothing without an All Ireland.

Jesus. Jesus. Never enjoyed a minute of that. I know I am one of the more optimistic posters but until Tomo kicked that point I never felt we were winning.

Blocked down shots = bouncing back to Dublin

Rip a ball out = fall to Dublin

Bottle a man up = free in

Wides beginning of second half = disaster

Markers for Con and Kilkenny I felt had too much room, especially Kilkenny.

Kelly injured early. Walsh late. Tierney off. Comer battling.

Yet. We won. Kerry and Donegal win tomorrow it's a Donegal semi final.

Means nothing without an All Ireland.

Tomo. Always felt he had big days in him (as his underage career showed) nice to see management to run straight for him after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I didn't expect that performance really after 2 tough weekends. We still lost key lads to injury but I expected the heads to drop like after the soft goal conceded to Armagh.

In all honesty this could stand to us more than any other possible opponent. They made a great team panic, got a couple of soft decisions but took that 2 point lead when ordinarily they'd take the foot off the gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭threeball

Finally, they put in a performance in that 2nd half I knew they were capable of. The shackles came off, we went at them at pace. The subs all improved on the man they were replacing. Switching Hernon in for Fitz was a good call at the right time and the management deserve credit for it.

Even with Kelly, Comer and Walsh all injured and Tierney and Conroy not having the best of days they managed to dig it out. Mulkerrin typified everything that was right and was my MOTM. McDaid had a great 2nd half but Mulkerrin was immense throughout. He drove at Dublin when he carried, he was ferocious in the tackle and make a game saving block. Mulkerrin, McDaid, Maher and McHugh played out of their skin.

Walsh was superb considering the knock he was carrying. I wouldnt be the biggest fan of this management ticket as we played like we did in the first half in far too many games but they came good today. Hopefully we see more of this aggressive attacking transition from now on as it suits us and we'll be hard stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭spurshero

at least let us enjoy tonight ffs . We haven’t beaten Dublin in championship in 90 years . I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Injuries have been such an issue for this team, but what its helped with is giving squad members good experience. So now we have a pretty decent panel, and can pull out results when players are not available.

Hoping this isnt the peak of it. Its probably going to be Kerry or Donegal next so no rest for the wicked

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Unbelievable day. What a performance. Great pride in the jersey in the second half. How do we start matches so poorly and passively, and then come out differently in the second half?

Backs were outstanding. McHugh is an unbelievable footballer. So skillful.

Finnerty didn't have a shot again in a big match in Croke Park but in fairness I thought he linked play well, so too did Tierney and Comer,they helped set up scores especially Tierney winning the throw in at the start of the second half.

Hopefully Walsh can keep playing on that ankle. He was outstanding today, we need him. But it's looking like an injury that'll keep reoccurring. He couldn't put weight on it for a finish.

Gleeson hit some great kickouts too.

Crowd got very very vocal and loud in the last 20 minutes, it felt like way more Galway supporters were at it than was the reality.

Have to say the dubs took their beating well. Few went out of their way to wish us well.

I think today shows the GAA Go thing as a horrible money grab. There's no pile of matches all on at the same time. But yet both matches were behind a paywall. Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I would add McHugh in here too. On more than one occasion he found himself deep inside the Dublin defense almost in disbelief that he got that far and got a point or two in the process

Yep he was so brave. No turning back, he just sidestepped or dummied and kept going, especially deep in Dublin territory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Hopefully everyone from Galway enjoyed yesterday and like me kept the celebrations going into the wee hours!

But I stand by what I said. I am greedy for this group of players now.

This can only be a stepping stone to winning an All Ireland. Absolute hunger, desire and greed needed from this group of players and I don't think they'll be found wanting.

Due to how dominant Dublin have been over the last 10-15 years a lot of exceptional players have not won All Irelands. And I hope the likes of Comer, Walsh and especially Conroy get their just rewards as they haven't many years left.

Only a few weeks ago Mike Martin was having a pop at Shane Walsh for taking photos with supporters and wearing a pair of sunglasses when not in the matchday squad against London. And that consensus was supported here. Now he's popping pills and getting injections just to keep himself on the pitch. And people question his desire.

Tomo Culhane in the eyes of a few didn't even belong on the squad let alone minutes on the pitch after Armagh. Look at his clutch score yesterday.

Comer, Kelly playing hurt for the last few years (Comer longer) but yet they keep going. Sean Mulkerrins fought back from as horrific an injury as you could get. He had to fight just to get back playing football never mind back to the level he is playing now.

I hope beyond hope they get over the line this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Robson99

Also a shout out to Mgmt yesterday who got all there match ups right.

It was ballsey putting one of our best forward running players all year on Fenton as it could have negated his attacking runs but he kept Fenton quiet and was a leader in the second half when needed. Hats off to Johnny Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 19,458 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great win by Galway, excellent display especially second half where the defence were on top of the Dubs.

Most dangerous thing now is to think that game was their All Ireland, of course celebrate, of course enjoy

taking down a great team that ruled Gaelic football for so long, but like many Galway hurling teams, who beat

strong opponents in quarter and semi finals then didn't turn up for the final.

Need to keep the momentum going and press on, yesterdays game ,yes, very important, but just a stepping stone.

Thats the way they have to treat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Someone has last 10 mins uploaded on YouTube but does anyone's know where to watch the full match?

The Saturday Game highlights didn't do the games justice I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭C__MC

You could sence from the 55 minute onwards galway were right in this game and they fully deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Saturday game highlights show and analysis is actually a pathetic effort Imv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Yes let's not get too ahead of ourselves now, as mayo did in 2021. When either Dublin or Kerry get knocked out, the Ulster teams tend to smell blood for Sam

There is no fear of Galway getting ahead of themselves. I still think the injuries are going to catch up with us. But its great to be at semi final stage, unbeaten and in with a fighting chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭cosatron

I think we won't get ahead of ourselves considering, the potential that's there. Yesterday comer had 3 wides, conroy had 2 bad wides, Walsh, tierney and Heaney had a bad wide each and a couple misplaced passes aswell.

I'd wrap Comer in cotton wool for two weeks and not even think of playing Walsh in the semi at all. Trust the panel to get us over the line in the semi. It's looking like it'll be Donegal and we're capable of beating them without Walsh. He'd have a month to get right if we get over the line. Same for Kelly, D'Arcy was an upgrade from an underperforming Kelly yesterday and they need to reward him for that. We had at least 3 more decent subs we didn't see at all yesterday so the depth is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭MfMan

A real coming-of-age I thought for both Maher and Mulkerrin yesterday, played their hearts out. Don't forget the trojan corner-backs either, simply heroic at times.

Yes our defense has been immense all year. Corner backs excellent and Mulkerrin deserving of his place…has added great steel there. Daly will struggle to start… who would have thought that 6 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Its low key crazy how we all just take for granted how good Jack Glynn is - he was fantastic yesterday

Gallen is the main man for Donegal. If we can nail him down it'll go a long way toward beating them.

They're struggling against a Louth defensive set up which is inferior to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭cosatron

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭cson

So I wouldn't say it means nothing without an All Ireland.

I think we could probably agree we're playing with house money here, like I don't think anyone would have expected SFs after the way the league went, injuries notwithstanding.

That's the first time any of that team will have experienced beating Dublin in the Championship & that sort of win will do loads mentally for you, case in point being our record v Mayo, for years we'd get shelled by them in the Championship and now we kind of have their number in Connacht anyway.

Anyways, hopefully we get a big crowd in Croker against Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭cson

This is another thing I think we'll look on as a blessing in disguise from the injuries this year; lads outside the usual 15 are getting real Championship minutes in the heat of battle, the pool of trusted players is wider and with the way the game is nowadays that's what can get you over the line - I'd argue yesterday it was the squad that won us that match, we got more out of the panel than Dublin did- hard and all as that is to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Very true, lads coming on will also be aggrieved that that they're not starting and will be out to prove a point...... Tomo literally..

Advertisement