Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Charlie69

That’s the thread f**ked for at least a week 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ha, was just thinking the same. Going to be like the the Hoganstand forum 15 years ago in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Baffles me…. One poster says something stupid about rival county, cue several rival counties posters coming back with several whataboutery posts and the whole thread descends into childish jibes at each other spoiling the thread for everyone else.

I think that’s a great point a lot of these kk players are underage again next year and although they didn’t win have gained a lot of experience which is great for there development

If they managed to get to the final again next year I think they would handle the occasion much better and put in a better performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Makes it all the sweeter seeing posts from bitter Kilkenny fans like this. You would swear cody was an angel on the sideline, always trying to intimidate, remember poor marty 😁, calling refs decisions "criminal". Have you seen shefflin on the sideline ever? Up and down like a jack hammer in refs ear constantly. Tipp got 2 harsh reds and other questionable decisions against them, wtf do you expect the tipp management to just sit down and take it, ill take our management over yere stooges on the line anyway. Not aimed at some of the genuine posters here either, wasnt much goading from tipp fans on here or on tipp thread but when i read shite like that post, hard not to respond.

There is angel brian, 2 minutes to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The stone throwers are out in force to day. Threw that away last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

it’s not the individual performance that’s the problem though, they were sent out with clear no game plan, not clear what they work on in training. Management may as well have stayed at home

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

Ultimately, while the GAA get many things wrong, the overall goal at this age is to allow teams get enough high level competition to allow them develop at the highest level possible.

All teams got round robins, and last night's two were the last two standing. Ultimately hurling was the winner. Lots of excellent players on both sides exposed to excellent standards of hurling and pressure and being the headline act etc.

Rory Mcllroy's nerve failed him in the pressure cooker atmosphere in the US Open, last night neither team did. KK didn't manage to utilise their extra man as they should have, but their players never took a step backwards. Last night should be celebrated just like the U20 a few weeks ago. Excellent teams putting absolutely every sinew on the line, and in the process bringing tremendous attention to the beauty of our games. Really and truly, what more could we ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

II wonder did Bergin even go in to talk to the team at HT, FT or at the break in ET?

Maybe he was watching the Galway Dublin game on his phone?

How a minor team could be sent out with such little direction or shape is mind boggling.

And this is his third term? Very very poor.

Well Done Tipp. They were incredible and far superior on all fronts.

• Advertisement

Was the game plan not to work the ball from the back until a runner came through the middle to shoot for there own score or leave the ball inside to the corners

If that wasn’t on it was worked back again where one of the wing backs or midfielders shot for a long range score that’s how they have been playing all year

If the heat was on hit Mullen or macdermott in the half forward line from the puckout

I think the problem Saturday was when the kk players went on runs like in other matches they hadn’t and support to pop the ball off and ended up taking to much out of the ball especially when the backs were coming forward

The plan to isolate McDermott on his man worked as he hit 1-3 in the first half

It’s easy to blame management when in reality tipp didn’t allow kk to play the game they wanted to play

In the Clare game changes were made on the line and Kilkenny went on to really make hay against just after halftime

Kilkenny also missed a lot of very easy chance s

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BC79

Fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Village87

There will be plenty of interest in this job next year, with so many starters and squad players underage next year. It would be a great launching pad for a senior job in 4/6 years time and I already notice some high profile pundits on Twitter praising the players and sticking the knife in at management. Definitely ulterior motives imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Well who would the blame lie with, the management in this case is fully responsible for yesterday’s defeat they held all the aces and totally f….d it up absolutely no excuses.some people gave out about Woodlock but I would have loved him in our corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Was planning to go to the game but a vomiting bug put pay to that, watching on TV when the 2nd red happened 1st thing I taught is realistically for Tipp to make a game of this KK will have to play their part and fluff their lines, and even withstanding how heroic Tipp were that's exactly what happened. I can understand the Tipp management rubbing people up the wrong way but given the situation they were in yesterday evening the abrasiveness of Woodlock was exactly what their players needed to drive them on, he was definitely straight out of the mould of Sheedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Why would management go anywhere. Got to all ireland final. Considering the county board didn't move them on after 2 terrible years, hardly going to move them on after getting to the all ireland and a fair chunk of the team underage next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

Bit harsh to equate that display with our senior team. Pathetic actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 njcat

The Tipp-Kilkenny rivalry since the 2009 AI has been fantastic for hurling - a game in decline. I recall both sets of fans united in applauding the teams after the 2014 classic drawn game. Limerick and Clare are adding to that today. Hopefully, Offaly, Galway, Cork, Waterford, etc. continue to get better.

Yesterday and over the last few weeks we have had the privilege of seeing 15-19 year olds from many counties display the finer skills of this beautiful game. u17 is thankfully without the physicality, s & c of the u20 and senior teams. We get to see the finer qualities of first touch, great blocks & hooks, insightful passes, solo runs etc. without some big fella mauling the players and the scene.

Kilkenny's greatest strength is the quality of club teams and teachers devotion to promoting the skills. As a former Kk underage and minor winner with with St. John's and OLG, I appreciated the coaches and refs of our time outlawing rough play. That has fed a lot of high quality players into the clubs who do not want the injuries we can see the senior players having to contend with for 60+ years of life after retiring. Over the past 2 years we are seeing senior talent developed by the clubs as one of our best sources of players to match the expensive academy players from Limerick, etc, i.e., Tom Phelan, Jordan Molloy, David Fogarty, Eoin Wall to name a few.

The big lesson for the Kilkenny u17s is that scoring efficiency from midfield was not great in AI games given 35+ wides in 2 games; probably the wind; most likely the biggest crowds (x 4) they have seen in their careers to date. Tipp were very alert yesterday; another Munster sized crowd pumping them up; primed for going into the Lions Den; benefitting from Woodlock's own style of non-stop free form running; great Tipp support. Kilkenny were very nervous throughout; unlike the Dublin and Clare games they were leaden footed and unable to get to breaking ball even with a few yards head start; with the crowd baying for a Kilkenny red card, tackles were understandably half hearted; the ref & linesmen were trying hard to be fair to Tipp to make up for the 2 reds. I am concerned that Dollard picked up 2 head injuries against both Clare and Tipp. Dollard is a very good player and needs guidance on avoiding such injuries; a bit of cop on by coaches and trainers will help. I hope the young Tipp lad and the Tipp sideline look back at the incident and regret being so pumped up that player safety took a back seat on a 16 year old opponent.

it’s the same problems working the ball up the field. If you’re happy with how the game was managed that’s great. I think the players are a lot better than what they showed yesterday, not faulting the effort any of them put in. they’re poorly coached and weren’t given the best chance going out

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

Of course I wasn't happy, you somehow equate that performance with the way our seniors play. I think there has been significant improvement in how our senior team have adapted their game this year. Last night was incredibly difficult for the young lads . They didn't handle it well and will learn from it. The team management have to accept they could have done better We as supporters also need to up our game . Outnumbered and allowed Tipperary take over our home ground. It's been like that for years now and I think our teams deserve better.

• Advertisement

I have to agree in regard to our lack of support last night. I don’t usually say anything as I know it’s not always easy for people to attend games but this was an All Ireland final on our own doorstep ffs .

Those young lads needed our support last night but a lot of Kilkenny hurling followers watched this on the television. Our teams deserve so much better.

when the pressure is at senior, one mistake and they revert to long ball. Will know soon enough. Hard to read much into some of the games lately the opposition were so poor. Leinster final was barely a training session. Hopefully there is real improvement.
    When was the last championship game of significance that we weren’t outnumbered?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

That jumped out at me too, I think the topic of KK support is a bit of a cheap shot from the national media at times, in fairness of the top 9 counties of the last decade or so KK has the smallest population but it's fair enough regards last night. Seen the Tipp journalist Shane Brophy saying pre match they were expecting approx 12k of an attendance and say for arguments sake it was 7k Tipp and 5k KK that's a poor turnout of home support for an All Ireland final on home soil.

Completely agree we’re often lauded as the home of hurling it’s like a religion we eat sleep and drink hurling and other such remarks but it’s definetly not shown in how our county teams are supported

You would be sick of going to games and the team barely getting a clap coming onto the field and the opposition fans blowing roof off the stand when they come onto the field

Again last night it was very noticeable the difference in support for each team

I remember going to league games 10-12 years ago in nowlan park on **** wet days and every hook block and score would take the roof of the stand the supporters really got behind the team even when things were bad

There was Tipperary busses parked along every street and industrial estate around Nowlan park on the way to the game and our own crowd just didn’t bother. There’s no doubt having the crowd behind you in a close game like that gives a team a massive lift. You could feel the Tipp crowd in the ground both giving their own team energy and almost draining the life out of our lads with every roar. There wasn’t much point in having what was supposed to be the advantage of playing at home when your own don’t bother to come out and support you. As I said earlier they deserved better.

the league has had some fall since then. Were some great games around that period. There are just too many games now in a very short space of time, not surprising numbers are down. Doesn’t help we’re not winning either and expectations are low.
    I haven’t seen any upper deck tickets on sale for the Clare match yet, not looking like it’ll be a great crowd either unless the tickets are with clubs

100% when tipp went down to 13 there should have been a noticeable increase in the volume from kk supports not tipp as everything was in our favour

Supporters can give energy to teams from the stand as we seen from the tipp fans

Nowlan park should have been a cauldron last night as we were at home when in reality you could have easily thought the game was played in thurles

Who knows we might never have another minor final at home again it was a big chance missed which is sad

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I have been harping on about the KK support for a while now. The county board certainly do not help themselves, they could have brought in juveniles from all the clubs but failed to do so. They never put flags up to create an atmosphere. I thought the support was 50/50 but they got behind there team and we didn’t.I think the co board are going from one fiasco to another and will seriously have to look at themselves. On the management I think they will certainly have to be replaced and I think anyone that has ambitions in management would love a chance to train these youngsters as they have huge potential. I would ask Henry to train them a man that knows his stuff and was a winner through and through, never mind Galway Jesus Christ couldn’t manage Galway . And Thomastown just fucked up. Mark Aylward and Gorta were also mentioned they won the U19 competition. Send in a few names and we’ll debate it .

Thoose league games were better than championship for atmosphere sometimes

The new structure and price increases have definitely affected things as well as us not winning as much plus every game is on tv now

I think how the game is played now isn’t exciting people as much either

It’s a shame though we might not be winning but we’re at the business end every year

Kk supporters should be bulling to get success again and backing our teams like we’ve never won anything the last 10 years have been very lean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Just out of curiosity lads, how would some of yee set up from half time onwards knowing tipp would play with spare defender (7 backs), 3 across midfield and 2 frwds for an out ball.

What would the instruction have been, hit it long the ball long and direct to McDermott on edge of square with spare defender close enough to cover breaks? try long range shots from middle of the park? try run the ball through a packed defence?

Advertisement