Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It was lovely to see that sort of Galway attractive and almost old-fashioned football win out. Kicking into space, taking points from a long way out, no goalie playing as a sweeper, counter attack style.

There's a lot of poisonous matches these days playing the sort of dour statistic based football that has made it a difficult watch. The game today was a cracker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Simply weren't conditioned to the level Dublin came to be. They took that aspect to a new level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭munster87

You think there isn’t a difference between strength and conditioning 20 years ago and now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One thing that was instructive about Galway ekeing out the win yesterday, was that two of their critical scores at the end came from subs. When at the same time, McGarry was probably the only Dublin replacement to do anything of note.

How many times over the years did we hear of Dublin's bench strength when they brought on a fella when they were four points up and he'd kick a couple of scores as they'd win handy enough?

Ballsy impact from Galway's lads last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Officer999

Absolutely. While from a neutral point of view it was great to see Galway win, it was such an enjoyable game of football. Felt proper old school with the jeopardy of knockout adding to the tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Nice to see Galway get a bit of credit. They one of only 2 teams left that are unbeaten. It wasn't a lucky win either. Should have won by at least 3 taking account for a few poor wides, very harsh calls against them for a 45 that Dublin scored off and disallowed point for hand pass ( would love to see Hurson ref a hurling game ) that Conroy scored off. Defensively Galway were excellent in second half and never gave up a goal chance all game.

Re the Dubs they are still going to be a team that will be there or there abouts next year...and the best team I've seen play football

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Those Kerry and Tyrone would get annihilated by peak Dublin. Gooch cooper was about 8 stone, Connolly finished him about 12 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Had Galway been level at half time I'm convinced they would have been well beaten.

Forced to release the handbrake yesterday they proved they can live with, & beat, the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Galway play conservatively in the first half of most of their games and play more expansive and direct in the second half. Even against Armagh in the 3rd quarter they should have put the game to bed. They are also carring a lot of injuries through the squad so imo its hard to go all out for 70 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭whitelaurel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

While Kieran McGeeney acknowledged it was a poor enough Armagh performance at times it's funny how things pan out and this happens to be Armagh's first quarter final win in seven attempts and now they have a first semi final win since 2005 under their belt. McGeeney said 'they've often played better in Croke Park and lost' and lamented 'poor skills and missing easy scores'.

Armagh played so well for a lot of Ulster final v Donegal gpt some great points from play fron all angles but when leading coming to to end of both normal and extra time they really should have held on and when they lost on penalties for the fourth time in a big game i thought it could really damage them for the group stages.

To win that group with Westmeath, Derry and Galway shows the team have something about them. They humilated Derry at Celtic Park beating them by 11 points and when all looked lost late on against Galway they were able to muster up a late surge to get the draw needed to finish top.

Yesterday was not Armagh at or near their best but its not a bad place to be heading into a semi final after playing under par the previous game. Whoever they get in the semi final i feel Armagh will have a great chance. Perhaps they are a team more of the sum of their parts rather than of real individual quality. A hard working, physical unit. The lack of a real star forward or two like Walsh and Comer for Galway or the Cliffords for Kerry may see them come up a little short but you can be sure McGeeney has them believing they can relive that summer of 2002 and bring the cup back to the Orchard county.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Were people who are saying it was a classic and that Galway played the game in the manner it was traditionally played watching the same game of football as me?

It was a good final 10 mins alright when Dublin were under pressure and Galway often caught them on the counter.

The football that came before was of the lateral bland variety that has infected the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

Also beaten by Mayo in the league.

Last 5 games v Mayo league and championship was Mayo won 3 and drew 1,lost 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

mayo got destroyed by the dubs in the last two quarter final meetings.

Dublin losing in the championship for most is a classic. And as a Dublin fan I can’t blame them lol. That was Cluxtons first championship loss in 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

2 QF meetings?

Are you still drunk.....

Great game yesterday,I was shouting for Galway.Congrats to the mostly sound Galway posters on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

id say you had a big puss on you the same as cillian o Connor on the telly!!!!!!!!!

Is say COC has far more disdain for Dublin than Galway.

I don’t know, I was talking to a Galway fan after the game that was saying how he’d rather wear an England jersey than a mayo one. Think that rivalry cuts pretty deep for most haha. But yeah I suppose battles wise COC had many more with Dublin and denied him his All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

In the last 10 minutes when Dublin FOLDED under pressure you mean. Galway deserved the win, or more like Dublin didn't deserve to win. Whatever about conservative tactics on the field, Dessies conservative selection calls over the last 2 years played a big part. I was half expecting to see Duirmuid Connolly making an appearance (after demonstrating his running power outside court during the week) such was his reliance in the old boys club. The last 10 minutes of a quarter final is no place to discover that the old lads are actually old and the young lads that you haven't given the experience to and exposed to pressure situations to are actually inexperienced and unable to cope in pressure situations. Their decision making in the last quarter was terrible, heads were completely fried. Was it lack of competitive games all year in Leinster?

I think a big part in Galway directness late on is because they hadn't the legs to play the running game - 3 weeks in a row and they nearly had to kick the ball because the support runners weren't there. Also, they played their best and were most dangerous when Walsh went off? Strange the way that worked out.

• Advertisement

kinda thought Galway folded as well , tried to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Possibly, fell over the line I'd say as much as tried to lose it. Third game in 2 weeks in fairness, the legs would have been heavy at that stage. It takes its toll, while Roscommon played poorly it's worth noting they lost 2 starting players to muscle injuries within the first 15 minutes yesterday, mainly I'd imagine die to loading due to this insane schedule.

Dublin's starting XV yesterday, an age profile more in keeping with a clubs second string team than an all ireland contender:

Stephen Cluxton 42
    Eoin Murchan 27 Seán MacMahon 26 Michael Fitzsimons 36
    John Small 31 Brian Howard 26 Jack McCaffrey 30
    Brian Fenton 31 James McCarthy 34
    Niall Scully 30 Seán Bugler 26 Ciarán Kilkenny 30
    Paul Mannion 31 Con O’Callaghan 28 Cormac Costello 29

ah yeah they defo still deserved it! But they were pretty frazzled, I really hope they go on a win it. Yeah the dubs might have a fallow period. Sounds odd but we badly need it, interest in championship football in the capital has gone to shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think most of us were happy to trade off the rebuild which proberly should have started more last year for winning that All Ire,just it's payback time now .A few years just off the pace beckons it appears .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Dublin weren't in complete control for 50 minutes. At half time, I (and probably most people) thought that Dublin had it in the bag. But right from the throw in, in the second half, Galway then took the game to Dublin. I was commenting to my mate after 15 minutes of the second half, that I had never seen Dublin so dominated in a game for a 15 minute spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Good to see Dublin out, simply because of all the Londonderry and British comments I have seen them post on social media over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,317 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Really? I would see Donegal as your best bet (assuming they beat Louth). Anyway the flipside of the 'no repeat pairings' thing is AFAIK you guys can't draw Kerry…

Dublin had bad wides too in fairness and the ref also pulled them up on an illegal hand pass.

I don’t think the officials favoured either team. You mention that 45 but there was no TV coverage to definitely suggest the umpire got it wrong. Conversely, Galway got a line ball that directly led to a point that was a definite Dublin ball. Galway also got a handy free in front of the posts for a collision on Comer that looked for all the world not a free.

Galway deserved to win but to suggest it was in spite of the officials is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭C__MC

Father time caught up with dublin yesterday, happens all great teams and sportspeople, roger federer and kilkenny to name a few. Dublin looked sloppy all year even in the leinster final. They actually motored well in the league with a range of new players coming in but Dessie gambled on the tried and trusted and in the end the legs were gone.

You can't keep winning and it must be very hard to stay motivated when you have done the lot. Let's hope Derry win today but I suspect kerry will cruise to this all Ireland with Dublin gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's probably been said on here already, but another one of the games of the season hidden away on GAAGO.

Many older lifelong Galway supporters etc deprived of viewing

Advertisement