Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS Network + Future Expansion

Options
  • 27-06-2024 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all, just thought a thread on the LUAS network and any potential and confirmed future extensions/lines would be a good thing to have on here.
    I have a couple of musings about Luas Lucan, just said I’d put them here to at least get them out of my muddled brain!

I’ve been looking over the plans for the Luas Lucan Line and I’m a bit confused. The line seems to have an ideal alignment from Adamstown Station as far as Ballyfermot but I’m unsure as to the route plan from there. I’ve seen plans where the Lucan Line is treated as a branch off of the Red Line (joining at Blackhorse all the way into the city) but I think this should be avoided at all costs as all that can possibly do is decrease frequency to Tallaght, Saggart and Lucan - shooting oneself in the foot so to speak

I have wondered why a Phoenix Park or Chapelizod Road option has not been considered, (something similar to either of the below lines drawn on in yellow)

as a stop in the park as well as at the Zoo and on Parkgate Street could be built with the line then crossing the Liffey adjacent to the Sean Heuston Bridge with a connecting station at Heuston and path-sharing with the Red Line to the top of Steven’s Lane before heading down James’ Street and into the south city.

I wonder though if there are regulations about putting it through the Park…? It doesn’t serve a lot of populated areas either no matter which route you go here, and while the park option would be good, the Chapelizod Road option would travel around 3 kilometres without a stop which is probably a waste of tram line… And maybe the bridge over the Liffey Valley here is just too elaborate…

However, the best plans I have seen is where it meets the Red Line at Blackhorse, heads up Tyrconnel Road and through Inchicore and along Emmett Road before meeting again at James’s and sharing track for 50 metres before continuing on James’s Street towards Christchurch (drawn on again in yellow below) 

I have seen plans that suggest it just joins the Red Line instead between Blackhorse and James’s before before continuing on James’s Street towards Christchurch which would (with capacity enhancements on the road-segregated section in question here) be doable, but I still think the above option is preferableI as it a) opens up new areas to Luas access and b) minimises shared corridors to maximise frequency.

And finally I do think that rather than ending it at Trinity (a bit of a middle of nowhere stop transport-wise) a continuation out Townsend Street to link with DART and Metro at the southern Townsend Street entrance to Tara Street Station (in front of the planned Metro stop), and maybe even on down Pearse Street and to the Bord Gáis/Grand Canal or even out as far as Poolbeg and Ringsend, avoiding the need for the Red Line to cross back over the Liffey to achieve this eventual plan of a Luas to Poolbeg (Metro included in dark purple on the map below)

Just a couple of general musings/ideasI thought I’d share with regards to it as it would be a great asset and a very useful 3rd line for the city if done right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Could a Lucan Luas not just go along the N4 for most of the way with buses feeding into it?

Such a waste all those buses travelling long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scrabtom

I would love to see Luas Lucan go ahead.

Assuming it branches off the Red Line somewhere between the Suir Road and James' Hospital stops, I think I would rather have it go along the Grand Canal rather than go through the Liberties or down Dame Street. I always find the journey from Heuston to areas like Harcourt Street, Rathmines and Ranelagh to be way more complicated and take much longer than it should. I know the O bus route should help but it seems like the perfect route for a Luas to me.

In the feasability study they did for Luas Lucan, the line only goes as far as Charlemont and then loops back around through Portobello. I wonder would it be possible to run it all the way to Grand Canal dock instead, or is there just no space for a Luas there?

That would provide an interchange with the Dart, and allow passengers from Heuston to get to the offices down there with only one method of transport.

I suppose this relies on Westbound trams being able to take the spur at Suir Road, so they could go directly from Heuston to Charlemont for instance. Does anyone know if that would/could be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

I'm not a big fan of the Lucan Luas or at least I don't think it should be a priority. For one, I don't think street trams are the correct choice for covering longish commuting distances of 10 or 15km. And secondly there's something that strikes me as vaguely ridiculous that while the city centre is choked with double decker buses we are considering proposals are for building tram infrastructure way outside the core.

I'd build the section from James to Trinity except continue it to Ringsend, to act as a substitute for buses along these streets. Would take a lot of pressure off the Red line where it's most packed - in the centre.

In fact I'd concentrate all new street tram/Luas construction in the core starting with the heaviest Bus corridors with the eventual goal of displacing most buses from the centre completely.

For example, in terms of benefits to the city there's surely a case for Luas along the Dorset St corridor - say from Drumcondra station to Harolds cross vs Christchurch. This is only a bit over 4km but the benefits to the city as a whole would far outweigh the proposed 10km of Luas between James' Hospital and Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Lucan is too far for Luas, much more useful to have a Lucan-Sandymount metro line, taking in a few stops in the south city centre and Heuston, this would relieve the central part of the red line by providing an express east-west alternative.

My ideal for Dublin would be:

3 new metro lines: Swords-Sandyford, Tallaght-Coolock and Lucan-Sandymount

3 new luas lines:

1. The planned Finglas extension of the green line
    2. Clongriffin-UCD via Malahide Road, Amien Street and Stillorgan Dual Carriageway

3. Ballymun-Rathfarnham via Phibsboro, Church Street, Christchurch, Harold's X

Also would like to see a new bus only bridge between Liffey Valley and Blanch that would enable high frequency orbital buses with potential future orbital luas

If they want a Bray-Sandyford line fine but then I'd just stop any other radial luas project outside the M50, it's too far for an on street tram to provide a reasonable commuting option and protecting capacity in the city centre should be paramount, I'd be happy to see spurs inside the M50 and even trams running between lines if need be. Even if spurs off the metro lines were provided, that'd be satisfactory.

Obviously all of the above requires:

1. Money
    2. A wholesale abolishment and replacement of the planning system
    3. A removal of political interference in infrastructure development
    4. A near total abolishment of car commuting inside of the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(1) Lucan Luas should use the Chapelizod bypass. The road space will not be needed as we remove cars from the city centre.

(2) James St to Ringsend is definitely a city Luas line that should be built

(3) Drumcondra to Christchurch is an interesting addition I hadn't thought about, but really good

(4) Clongriffin to Blanchardstown via the Airport, interlinking with Dart North, Metro, Luas Finglas and Dart West would be good. The cost of a bridge over the Liffey might prohibit extending it to Adamstown to link with Dart SouthWest

(5) Stephen's Green to Sandyford, through UCD to then allow the upgrade of the Green line to Metro

(6) Cherrywood to Bray.

(7) Hueston to Phoenix Park to Ashtown (link with Dart West) to Dunsink (new town planned by Fingal), across the M50 to Abbotstown linking with (4) above and through Ballycoolin to Tyrellstown and Hollystown.

(8) Fatima to Sandymount, linking with Luas Green, new Luas to UCD and Dart Coastal South.

• Advertisement

Isn’t there something like 8 future Luas lines in some futuristic plan that will never happen?

The GDA transport strategy which has the same projects in it every 5 years and gets slightly less ambitious every 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭spillit67

If only…..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Happy Birthday Luas 🎉 🥳

Nice article in the IT, for once!

Respected economists and transport commentators said the new trams would not meet passenger targets, would be “grossly uneconomic” and would probably aggravate, rather than reduce, city congestion by obstructing motorists.....

... In its first year, it broke through its 20 million passengers target by carrying 22 million. Unlike all other public transport services, it required no State subvention, and as for congestion, the culprits were largely single-occupancy vehicles blocking trams carrying hundreds or passengers, not the other way around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/transport/2024/06/30/the-right-track-luas-celebrates-20th-anniversary-with-passenger-numbers-for-this-year-set-to-hit-50-million/

• Registered Users Posts: 38 The Mathematician

It would have also been nice if they had named the 'respected economists and transport commentators', so we can ignore their opinions in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paul2019

Here's a flavour of what the LUAS nay-sayers at the Irish Independent thought in 2004 - what visionaries !

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/editorial/luas-is-the-expensive-wrong-option-for-all/26011060.html

Colm McCarthy had views as well. (I have bolded some bits of it).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/economist-casts-doubts-on-the-viability-of-luas-1.1309387

Tim O'Brien
    Sat Apr 24 2004 - 01:00

Dublin's Luas system, due to commence operations in nine weeks time, needs to carry a similar amount of passengers as the city's DART system just to cover its operational costs, an economist has claimed.
    Luas expects to carry 20 million passengers in its first year of operations at an expected "fare box" revenue of €20 million.
    It has also said it expects to pay the international transport operator Connex €20 million a year to run the system.
    However, a leading economist, Mr Colm McCarthy, of DKM Consultants, has cast doubt on the viability of the system based on its own projections, pointing out that projected passenger numbers for the two unconnected lines are similar to those for the entire DART system.

Iarnród Éireann has confirmed its DART service between Howth, Malahide, Portmarnock and Greystones carried 21.6 million passengers in 2003.
    According to Mr McCarthy, the Luas lines are extremely unlikely to meet their target of 20 million passengers in their first year of operation.
    If the target is not met, Luas will potentially be unable to meet its financial obligation to pay Connex its fee of €20 million.
    The figures also cast doubt on the financial viability of other extensions of the Luas to Cherrywood and the Docklands
    , for which private sector companies in the vicinity of the lines have been required to contribute.
    Commenting after the British National Audit Office reported new tram lines across the UK had failed to achieve predicted passenger numbers - sometimes by 45 per cent - Mr McCarthy said difficulties with such systems were now "a worldwide phenomena".
    Speaking to The Irish Times, Mr McCarthy said the real equation "is that trams generally cost twice as much, take twice as long and carry half the numbers, and this has been borne out by experience right across the world".
    Asked if there was any reason to imagine that the Republic could be more accurate in its projections, Mr McCarthy insisted that Luas was already over-budget and over-time.
    "Two legs of the treble are already up. I would love to be able to say that this is only 'mickology' but it is a worldwide thing."

However, Mr Ger Hannon, from the Light Rail Procurement Agency, said the agency was tired of hearing that Luas was over-budget and late.
    He insisted that the system's passenger targets were to the highest international standards, and added that the Government had accepted that from the moment the contract was signed to the present, Luas was on budget.
    As regards time, he conceded that the system may be about eight weeks off schedule.
    Mr Hannon also insisted that the agency's estimates for passenger numbers were conservative, with eight million or nine million on line B, the Green Line to Sandyford; and 12 or 13 million on the Tallaght line in the first year of operation.

Either that is incredibly shoddy research by McCarthy or he was lying.

I am sure there was international data on S Bahn / metro vs. tram but it was clearly not appropriate to use for the DART network we have (which will change with D+).

1. DART was severely restricted by a) unionised workforces, b) infrastructure limitations and c) commuter and intercity rail overlapping
    2. DART hugs the coast for much of its journey, limiting catchment
    3. The Luas was capturing a far bigger population

Anyone with a smidge of sense and who could look at a map would have figured that.

The question is why some of these pieces make the national press (and still do!).

Do the appropriate state agencies not reply to these lies in the media?

They should be calling out these liars at every opportunity to through their own social media channels and by replying to the “newspapers”.

There needs to be a major pushback against this type of propaganda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is the same economist who was against Ireland joining the Euro, and against the Metrolink because coaches could suffice at much lower cost (because Metrolink was just an airport - CC service).

Obviously being completely wrong about Luas did not cause him to be more circumspect in his opposition to other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paul2019

…and now we have a passenger cap at the Airport because we have no Metro - which is great for an island economy 🙄

I don't think we're meant to look back at what economists said and then compare it to the actual outcome. It makes them look like a waste of space and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

He was also against the DART (for more or less the same reasons as Luas!) a long history of being wrong doesn't hurt in irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Looks like TII have been getting the crayons out…

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

That should really be a 2030 vision rather than a 2050 vision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I think even insomewhere like France they'd consider that a little ambitious for 5 and a half years, but 2040 would be the goal for that anywhere else

Do you have a link to this report?

Disappointing to see Bray Luas with a "Post-2040' timeline. There's a balance between unrealistic, overly optimistic, timelines versus ones completely lacking in ambition.

Nice to see Metro West included again, and the possibility for other orbitals being acknowledged.

Luas Lucan is marked as "In Planning", but it doesn't include a branch off James down to College Green, which is disappointing as it would take enormous pressure off the Red Line in the city centre, and improve access to George's Street area following implementation of the College Green Plaza.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It would make sense for most Busconnects core corridors to become Luas and I'm sure that's the ultimate, ultimate, far off plan.

From the feasibility report for Luas Lucan it looked like a branch from Suir Road to Charlemont was the favoured route, and that seems to be what's on that map as well.

That seems to show a route going up through Stoneybatter and then up the Navan Road. Manor Street isn't exactly the widest street in the world so I imagine you'd have to at least make it one way for cars if not fully remove them. Interesting - I wonder how feasible that really is.

Also where is that branch going away from Bray supposed to go to?

The NTA got permission last week to make Manor St bus only effectively. The luas would just replace the B spine buses

Hopefully this is updated to consider the current landscape, which was very very different back then. With private traffic already removed from College Green and more restrictions due, the case is much stronger for a spur from James down to College Green. It would be far less disruptive during construction than would have been considered in the 2000s - granted, I'm not sure what exactly drove previous decisions on the optimal route.

Obviously both spurs should be built, but the spur down to College Green will relieve enormous pressure off the Red Line.

That's brilliant to hear, it's a nuisance crossing that road right now.

A park and ride away from Bray at Fassaroe I assume.

I’d personally have liked it had gone a bit further down the N11 and got closer to West Greystones.

I understand the complaints about lengthy Light Rail lines but I think we also need to move away from the idea that all lines get to the city centre (orbital suggests that).

A lot of traffic needs to be removed from both Bray and Greystones given the population explosion of both (I’d like to ultimately see some kind of congestion charge in those places for non residents). You’re also helping Wicklow and Wexford people by putting in direct accessibility to UCD (hopefully) and Sandyford.

I suspect with over 60 mins likely from Bray Station for the Luas that most would still use the DART for the city centre and even the 145 / 84x.

I would love to see both built. I think there's a really strong case for each.

A direct route from Heuston to the Charlemont/Rathmines/Ranelagh/Harolds Cross area is badly needed in my opinion. That is assuming that trams will be able to go directly from Heuston down that spur, which they may not be able to do. If they can't then I think the James to College Green option is far better if they can only build one.

A luas from St James to Dame St could turn onto George's St and either continue to Rathmines or head towards Ballsbridge.

But still I'd prefer to see a Lucan to Ringsend meteoline, to really provide east West capacity. Actually both would be ideal hard to see either happening until we have some real radical changes in planning and public transport spending.

• Advertisement

I like the idea of College Green the most mainly because I think there is a justification right now to be planning for it alongside the Plaza. It’s just over 2km that provides so much utility for the city- Lucan can follow it rather than being integral (one of the big issues I have with our planning of lines).

Advertisement