Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dagestan shootings

Options
  • 25-06-2024 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭

Dagestan is one of the states in the Russian federation and the current outbreak of a conflict is right up Putin’s street. Why? Because it gives Putin yet another reason to prove to the Ru population that he will protect them. This protection by the ‘ Father Figure’ is one of the legs of a three legged stool that continues the strategy of what keeps Putin - and by extension his predecessors - in power. The impoverished state of Dagestan are brainwashed to ‘mind their own business and never to threaten Putin and he will ‘look after them and protect them’
    To this extent , therefor, it’s important that Ru is constantly ‘at war’ against all kinds of internal threats eg ISIS, UKr bombing it and external threats eg NATO, Ru speaking people living in Donetsk and being Treated as subhumans by a UKr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Putin has his hands full with UKr, Transanista in Moldova, The two Georgian provinces that he has invaded and now Dagestan . The fact that Putin is being more stretched , day by day, might encourage others to ‘chance their arm’ re seeking independance. God only knows what. Way Chechnya will go When its leader pops off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Actually I disagree; 20 years ago Putin claimed he'd make sure Islam would not be a threat to Russians and they keep showing the Russian population that they are NOT safe. There are shootings even in Moscow etc. which only shows how weak Putin actually is on being the Father figure protecting them all. That's as well why Putin claims it's the west that initiated the shooting etc. because anything else would point the figure back at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

True but do most ordinary Russians know that? The independent media has been strangled in Russia, so I think most people have little option but to believe what they're told by the Putin-controlled outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

For argument sake we can divide the 150 m Russian pop as follows :- the majority who live in rural /outback/ impoverished parts of Russia and the minority who live in the well off parts such as Moscow/St Petersburg.

Putin is highly skilled re divide and rule . You can only congregate if you have Putins permission. His SS , et al , would be down on you like the proverbial ‘ton of bricks’ if a group is trying to protest against any aspect of Putins actions

He has convinced the above majority that he will always protect /mind them against outside aggressors and they have no choice but to ‘go along’ with it . They are also somewhat gullible. “

And of course Putin SPRINKLES the above with a mixture of mis information, dis information, falsehoods, press control etc, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Many people in Dagestan are furious for two reasons:

1. Their Republic (and all other regional ethnic republics) is bearing a disproportionate amount of the suffering for the war in Ukraine. Their young men are being sent to fight and die there in far greater numbers than the young men of Moscow and St. Petersburg proportionate to their respective populations
    2. The continuing annihilation of Palestinian civilians by the Israelis

This explains the targetting of an orthodox Christian church (1) and a synagogue (2) in these attacks. Don't forget that there was an attempted pogrom at the airport in Dagestan a few weeks after October 7th.

I don't believe that Putin secretly orchestrated these attacks in the same way that I don't think that he secretly orchestrated the Moscow attacks. His propaganda minions are trying to make the most of both attacks by blaming the Ukrainians even if that makes no sense to any sound minded person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The eventual breakup of the Russian 'Federation' appears inevitable, what unites the likes of Dagestan with European Russia other than force of arms?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'm struck by how you present the second point as though it were justifiable anger, similar to the anger about the death of young men from Dagestan in Ukraine, when it is mere antisemitism, seeing as the Dagestani Jews are in no way responsible for anything that happens in Israel. Quite the opposite, since by not emigrating to Israel, they have chosen not to be part of Israel's actions there.

In fact such pogroms against Jews living outside Israel are the strongest justification for the need for Israel to exist.

I was giving reasons why Dagestanis would act that way. I wasn't justifying their actions. I'm sure antisemitism is rampant there.

So would it not be more accurate to say that the reasons for the attacks are really:

1. Their Republic (and all other regional ethnic republics) is bearing a disproportionate amount of the suffering for the war in Ukraine. Their young men are being sent to fight and die there in far greater numbers than the young men of Moscow and St. Petersburg proportionate to their respective populations
    2. Antisemitism,
      and possibly:
    3. Islamist terrorism generally
      (since Orthodox priests are not responsible for Israel either. Although I suppose the Orthodox church might be strongly promoting the war in Ukraine - but that would only be a relevant point if the local imams are against it.)

I think ignoring what's happening in Gaza as a stimulus for the attacks is not being realistic when factoring in the motives of the attacks. Sure these guys are antisemites and terrorists but this attack didn't happen in a vacuum. That's not excusing their actions. My original post was speculating about what the root cause of this since someone else was speculating that it was some kind of inside Kremlin job.

• Advertisement

"Gaza" is just code for barely-disguised antisemitism when cited as an explanation for anti Jewish attacks anywhere in the world except (possibly) Israel itself, and that needs to be pointed out every single time.

Advertisement