Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options
1141142143144145147»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

All is right in the world as long as Ryan Tubridy is asked for a few selfies and gets friendship bracelets from teenage girls......

A 50 + year old man has no business attending that concert unless accompanying young relatives...

Its all so very creepy and pathetic.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan Tubridy: How can anyone deny the happiness Taylor Swift brings?

ByRYAN TUBRIDYon30TH JUNE 2024inENTERTAINMENT

Hurricane Swiftie landed on Irish shores this weekend much to delight of excited children, exhausted parents and expectant businesses.

I’ve been tracking this phenomenon since it made landfall in Scotland before making its way south to Liverpool and onto the concert crucible of London’s Wembley Stadium.

The Taylor effect is phenomenal as it brings hundreds of millions of euro to local business and government coffers.

https://evoke.ie/2024/06/30/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-taylor-swift

With people like Tubs, it always comes down to money. Doesn't matter how good her music is. She could spend three hours belching into a microphone, but if it's generating revenue, it's good in his eyes. Of course, he'll want a slice of it in some way. He was there to promote himself. Has to maintain a presence in Irish media because his job in England is nearing its end.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, if you said a 50yr old man was standing in OConnell Street chatting with young teenage girls and taking friendship bracelets off them, and getting selfies, you'd say it was creepy AF.

But when it's Tubs, it's all good and a reason for a news story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I skimmed the article. It's even worse than usual. Tay Tay 😉 of course, then it segues, the very opposite of seamlessly, into stuff like 'no dogs no Irish'. 🙄

All to try to make a point about how wonderfully well Irish broadcasters have always done in England. He is not fit to tie the shoes of the likes of Eamonn Andrews or Terry Wogan. Both of whose names he clumsily drags in.

Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭TheBMG

and then he went for a burger and chips without a single thought for the millions of starving children all over the world. He’s literally worse than Hitler (but with more friendship bracelets).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

Something a bit creepy about any lone adult man, (ie not accompanying his daughters/neice) dropping into a concert where the majority of attendees are young teenage girls. Taylor Swift not necessarily being the main attraction for some of that cohort.

In Tubridy’s mind he himself, of course is the main attraction and he’s certainly not trying to keep a low key presence in the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

This mornings radio show was another venture into the obscure. He continues the weekend trainwreck and for what could be made of it: Going on about more creepy stories of kid's plastic toys in libraries - an elongated piece that if it had been broadcast 8 hours earlier, it may have been of benefit to folks who have difficulties reaching the land of Zed. He stumbles and mumbles into a piece that is relevant ONLY to his local area of Monkstown - of course the closing down of Hewitts newsagents. He said that when he was in the headlines (for defrauding the taxpayer) the lady behind the counter would ask him "are you ok?" offer him some liquorice allsorts.... and then tell him reassuringly "you'll be okay"

He rambles incoherently comparable to Joe Biden, it can be hard work for the listener to process as his voice is sometimes so unclear and is unable to produce "r's" correctly. Difficulty pronouncing the /r/ sound is known as rhotacism as /r/ is one of the most challenging sounds to pronounce in the English language. To accompany that, the modern D4/South Dublin/so called “Dortspeak” accent ranks among the most irritating, patronising and transparently fake accents in the entire English speaking world. In fact, it probably takes the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Stadium full of love...

Die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I suppose there is little chance of a teenager asking him awkward questions about the €150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Awh now. The man is a poor broadcaster. Not some super preadator lusting after underage girls.

The reason he was there, is to keep his proflie in Ireland up. And as Red Fred said to avoid any awkward questions while doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Next he'll be jetting back to hang out with kids at Barney on ice, or whatever 9 year olds are into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do you listen to the whole show now, B? Before you claimed it was just the “riffing” section you’d tune in to but has his move got you listening longer?

I see Graham Norton was at Taylor Swift too, looks like Ryan was in good company.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Well all he has to utter is "Dizney on ice" as on his cue card on his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Tow

Is that you and Bob in the full version of the concert photo?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Emmet, I think it has been very clearly stated up-thread that I am not Buttersuki. I am probably a number of B's in your eyes but Butters is one that I am definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Get a feeling some folks would be happier and more content in life if they were more like Tubs. Going to concerts, plenty of friends, a few social pints etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dude, no one else listens to the show or listened to the old show.

Anyway, it’s fine, as long as you keep your posts within this forum you should be grand. That was the “mistake” Alzer made.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Sorry, you have lost me. But maybe you know something I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Both of them could even work out better with Irish audiences than Tubridy. They are younger and probably closer to the target age demographics of Virgin Radio and Q102/etc.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

Both swim in the online world that tubs can't handle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Denny61

Seemingly a vox pop was done in uk recently by some radio TV magazine as regards all DJS.in uk .tubs was only heard of by 20 out of 5000 people ..says it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

….and taking the taxpayer for a ride every now and again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That's 0.4%.

Irish born and now living in the UK is 0.5%.

So he has little to no increased presence there over the past 6 months. He needs a tabloid scandal or something similar to up his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The phrase "rent free", appears to living rent free in your head!

Advertisement